You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help me set up my telly and amp

RedinSweden

Right, here's the deal, i have a telly, home cinema amp thing and a digital box (HD) and I will soon be adding a PS3. i want to be connecting using the best available method.

The telly has 2 HDMI, 2 scart.

Currently I connect the digital box to the telly with HDMI and the sound is from the telly to the amp using standard audio cables from the telly to the amp, like these:

cables-to-use-2.jpg

The sound from the telly goes that way too obviously.

The back of the amp is like this:

lx03_playerrear_large.jpg

I was wondering if I should connect the HDMI from the digital box to the amp and then let it go from the HDMI to the telly. Would that even work.

Also, what is the best way to add the PS3? How do i sort out the problem od 2 HDMI ports (my idea for the box to amp thing would solve this if it worked)

All help appreciated and rep will be freely dished out.

You've got a digital amp so get rid of those pre-historic phono cables!!!

What I would do is connect your PS3 and HD box to your amp via HDMI and then (if your HD box has an optical out of course) connect both your PS3 and HD box to the 2 optical inputs on your amp via Toslink cable. Make sure they both correspond i.e PS3 into HDMI no.1 and PS3 Toslink cable into Optical no.1.

The sound quality should blow you away.

Hope that makes sense!!!

You've got a digital amp so get rid of those pre-historic phono cables!!!

What I would do is connect your PS3 and HD box to your amp via HDMI and then (if your HD box has an optical out of course) connect both your PS3 and HD box to the 2 optical inputs on your amp via Toslink cable. Make sure they both correspond i.e PS3 into HDMI no.1 and PS3 Toslink cable into Optical no.1.

The sound quality should blow you away.

Hope that makes sense!!!

Absolutely. I knew that those phono cables were wrong, gut feeling. So basically none of the sound goes through the telly. that makes complete sense. I will still have to have them for the channels that we get through the normal cable aerial (there are a couple that we watch from that rather than through the box).

What is a toslink cable and where would it be plugged into the amp?

This is a Toslink Optical cable:

1M HIGH END PROFESSIONAL TOSLINK CABLE: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It will plug into the Optical In on your amp (you have 2). There will be an Optical out on your PS3 and HD box.

Thats fair enough then...yeah you will still need the phono cables to run from your TV to amp so that you can get sound from the normal TV channels.

This is a Toslink Optical cable:

1M HIGH END PROFESSIONAL TOSLINK CABLE: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It will plug into the Optical In on your amp (you have 2). There will be an Optical out on your PS3 and HD box.

Thats fair enough then...yeah you will still need the phono cables to run from your TV to amp so that you can get sound from the normal TV channels.

Splendid. I hope the box has an optical out. It is only about a year old and has all the dolby stuff, so i assume it will. My local shop sells optical cables so i will get one before i go home.

I can't wait to rejig it and see if I notice any difference.

It will depend on what you are watching of course.

Once you've got your Optical cables any HD material via your HD box will sound superb...the same goes for your PS3 (all games have proper 5.1 soundtracks).

Awesome. I assume the PS3 doesn't come with these cables, so i should pick up two today from the shop. Right?

Awesome. I assume the PS3 doesn't come with these cables, so i should pick up two today from the shop. Right?

Thats right, you'll need to buy 2 Optical cables today. 1 for your PS3 and the other for your HD box.

I'm thinking of getting an av receiver in the new year, am I right in thinking that my Sky HD box, DVD player, (possible) PS3 and Xbox would connect directly into it and it would output the picture to the tv?

Your Sky HD, DVD player, PS3 and Xbox will all plug into the AV receiver (make sure you get one with enough inputs!!) and then a single HDMI will run to your TV.

They are awesome bits of kit, just a shame I havnt got the cash to get one at the mo because you'll need to buy a speaker package seperately....decent ones cost a fair bit of cash!

Your Sky HD, DVD player, PS3 and Xbox will all plug into the AV receiver (make sure you get one with enough inputs!!) and then a single HDMI will run to your TV.

They are awesome bits of kit, just a shame I havnt got the cash to get one at the mo because you'll need to buy a speaker package seperately....decent ones cost a fair bit of cash!

I assume mine does that as there are 2 HDMI in and 1 out.

Thats right, you'll need to buy 2 Optical cables today. 1 for your PS3 and the other for your HD box.

Interesting.

*rubs chin*

Thank you kindly, off to do some hunting now....

Good luck with the setup.

All done. Got some new quality HDMI cables too. The chap at the local shop is brilliant, he will always do a deal. Tested on a HD film last night on one of the film channels and the difference was really noticeable.