You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

The Aqualani deal is a downpayment of €5m and then the rest over the preiod of the contract. It amounts to £17m if we win the CL.

I've beat this drum a bit but I've been aware of this lad for a few years and he is superb. My work colleagues in Italy (Roma fans) had called me when we were first linked with him and abused me from a height about Liverpool signing him. Comments of "He's our Gerrard" and "Take Totti but not Aqualani" was the main. I was very surprised at some of the comments over here about him. The lad is pure class.

I hope to Fowler you are right Johnny, but some people (including me) are frustrated that the expensive summer signing is not there to help us during this rot.

So just so I've got this right here, Rafa is bemoaned for filling the side with squad players than bringing in actual quality, even though a lot of the time we wasn't getting the number one target. Yet that when he does get his number one target and spends a huge chunk on a couple of players to massively improve the first eleven he should have signed lesser wanted players cos they would be fit quicker and lesser quality ones so we could buy more?

So just so I've got this right here, Rafa is bemoaned for filling the side with squad players than bringing in actual quality, even though a lot of the time we wasn't getting the number one target. Yet that when he does get his number one target and spends a huge chunk on a couple of players to massively improve the first eleven he should have signed lesser wanted players cos they would be fit quicker and lesser quality ones so we could buy more?

He needs to be played first, before anyone can even begin to think he will improve us.

He needs to be played first, before anyone can even begin to think he will improve us.

Meant more the fact that he spent it on players that he believes will do rather than ones that have. Although I don't think anyone can argue that Johnson has done.

I hope to Fowler you are right Johnny, but some people (including me) are frustrated that the expensive summer signing is not there to help us during this rot.

No doubt. He should have played more, and yesterday was another set back as I'm sure he could have come on but the early injuries put paid to that.

I fancy him to get a good run on Tuesday though.

I haven't read the thread.

So we should sign someone cos he's had a few decent games? Should've signed Lisbie or Ndlovu then.

Why did we sign Aquilani then? Given he's not even appeared in enough games for anyone to say they've seen him have a decent one.

Are people actually trying to argue that so far, the signing of Aquilani has proven to be anything other than a massive, massive mistake, in the context of this season at least?

I think he's going to be a brilliant player for us in the long run but that doesn't excuse the fact that our season is now in complete disarray. It's not his fault and this signing isn't the only reason for the season going down the pan, but it's a massive issue.

There were people saying that it could prove to be a huge problem in the summer and they have been proven right.

Since logging on five minutes ago i've read that:

a) Macia is really good at his job

b) we aren't a world class club

A comical lowering of expectations.

I'm going to ignore the Brownie reference, it really does your debate no good to reference someone so one-eyed.

I'm not actually supporting the manager. I'm willing to hear both sides of the debate and then make my mind up. The fact that I am even asking questions is jumped upon by people like yourself because you have made your mind up.

If it was that easy you would have listed ten players that we could have signed.

Haha the irony!

"Aquilani fit would be £20-30 million. We checked with doctors and they said he would be out one, maybe two months. We have lost some time, but I signed the player for five years, not five weeks. We needed to take the risk." Rafa Benitez, 17th November 2009.

"But if we signed him fit he may have cost £30m or more. A saving of ten million is considerable.

You could say that we may lose a lot more by not qualifying for the Champions League, but then I don't think everything can be put down to Aquilani not being fit." Adam Spybie, 23rd November 2009.

At least I have the courage to actually think for myself instead of just swallowing whatever is said.

Beaut.

The Aqualani deal is a downpayment of €5m and then the rest over the preiod of the contract. It amounts to £17m if we win the CL.

I've beat this drum a bit but I've been aware of this lad for a few years and he is superb. My work colleagues in Italy (Roma fans) had called me when we were first linked with him and abused me from a height about Liverpool signing him. Comments of "He's our Gerrard" and "Take Totti but not Aqualani" was the main. I was very surprised at some of the comments over here about him. The lad is pure class.

Where did you get the £17m figure from add-ons? It's four £5m payments regardless of CL/league position/appearances/etc.

On an unrelated note: I applaud the signing of Johnson. He's done absolutely everything that a right back can do for us, so far, and definitely looks an improvement on Arbeloa.

Where did you get the £17m figure from add-ons? It's four £5m payments regardless of CL/league position/appearances/etc.

On an unrelated note: I applaud the signing of Johnson. He's done absolutely everything that a right back can do for us, so far, and definitely looks an improvement on Arbeloa.

It's 5m 3m 7m and 5m in euros which equates to about £18m at the moment.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

The fee was €20,000,000 made up of installments of

€5,000,000 Paid

€3,000,000 Jan 2010

€7,000,000 June 2010

€5,000,000 June 2011

Which at the time of the transfer amounted to £17,100,000

Assuming that all incentive targets are met, which includes winning the PL and Champions League, qualifying for the Champions League every season up to 2014/15 as well as making up to140 appearances, the most the transfer will cost Liverpool FC will be €24,000,000 or £21,600,000 assuming FX rates stay the same up to 2015

€5,000,000 Paid

€3,000,000 Jan 2010

€7,000,000 June 2010

€5,000,000 June 2011

Assuming that all incentive targets are met, which includes winning the PL and Champions League, qualifying for the Champions League every season up to 2014/15 as well as making up to140 appearances, the most the transfer will cost Liverpool FC will be €24,000,000 or £21,600,000 assuming FX rates stay the same up to 2015

In that case, I hope he costs us €24,000,000.

€5,000,000 Paid

€3,000,000 Jan 2010€7,000,000 June 2010

€5,000,000 June 2011

That might also indicate why we wont be spending much of what we get in come January, presumably there is a payment for Johnson as well?

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
That might also indicate why we wont be spending much of what we get in come January, presumably there is a payment for Johnson as well?

I have no idea as the figures were not published, but I don't think it would beyond the realms of possibility to assume that Johnson has been paid for in full bar any incentives, given that they owed us money for Crouch.

Saying that, I'd be amazed if anyone new was signed in January

You would think that those payments would already be worked into the budget as they are planned and must be paid.

They needed to get Cash in and did it very cleverly ie getting 20m up front for Alonso and only spending 5m out ie gettting 15 clear for debt repayment then probalby got all the Arbeloa money upfront as well. by doing this they defered a potential problem until Jan when they hope to sell players to cover the outgoings, called creative accountancy which goes tits up when you dont get the money in.

So you have the actual transfer fee and then the actual payments so even though the transfer fees looked like they broke even in payments terms the club actually made a profit to clear some of the debt