You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger talks about skrtel

Glen C

AGGER: MY RESPECT FOR MARTIN

AGGER: MY RESPECT FOR MARTIN

Jimmy Rice 07 July 2009

Daniel Agger admits he has a fight on his hands to play regular first-team football at Liverpool next season.

The Dane agreed a new deal earlier in the summer despite having to settle for 26 senior appearances last term.

Agger knows he will have to be on top form to increase this number in 2009-10, with Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel proving to be one of the Barclays Premier League's meanest partnerships over the last 12 months.

Despite the rivalry, Agger is a keen admirer of Skrtel - and admits he was shocked at how good the Slovakian was after arriving from the Russian Premier League 18 months ago.

"Martin is a top, top player. I was surprised when he came just how good he was," Agger told LFC Magazine.

"I have to be honest and say I don't know much about the Russian Premier League, so I did not really know what to expect when Martin came to the club.

"But he's a really good player and, just as importantly, he's a really good guy to have in the dressing room too. He's a guy who's good to talk to away from the pitch and who I admire a lot because of the way he plays on it.

"If you play all the time, if you get the chance to play week in, week out, then you must be a good player.

"I don't care if Martin and I are rivals for a starting place, he's still a friend of mine and I'll still tell the world how highly I rate him.

"He's an excellent defender and will keep getting better.

"We are competing with each other, maybe, to play in the team but it's not a rivalry. Both of us play and train to the best of our ability and then the manager makes the decision."

Some healthy competition, glad to see Agger taking it the right way.

Last week in Slovak papers was an interview with Skrtel and when asked about Agger he spoke the same way. They are friends, share the room on away trips etc.

It is good to see them as a mates off the pitch. If they are, they will work well also on the pitch.

I can not see Arby and Carra to share a room ...you know what I mean.

Guest davelfc

There's not much difference between them, except maybe Agger's tattoos are spelt correctly and were done with a needle,not a screwdriver.

I will avoid TLW like the plague the day Carra gets dropped for Agger/Skrtel.

Meltdown city

I think that this will happen in alot more games this season, Carra can be done for pace and hes not getting any faster.

I love carra more than any other local player who has played for us but I honestly dont think he will be able to carry the defence this season as he has done on many other occasions.