You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Boro

Paco

TLW picks the team v Boro  

435 members have voted

1. 1. TLW picks the team v Boro

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they created almost nothing down our right hand side.

Ok, Martin is no Arbeloa going forward, but then again neither is Carra. I can only remember one problem for Martin, and that was when he cleared the ball into one of Boro's players and they had a counter attack which resulted in nothing.

Martin did well for a cb played at rb for the first time for us.

Downing absolutely battered him and Downing is awful.

It's just so glaringly obvious that they're not winners. Shameful capitulation. At least we showed some spirit while playing shit in the earlier parts of the season, and that's why I kept hoping that things would finally click into place. But every Liverpool-player out there wanted to get off the pitch as soon as possible after the second went in. Horrible to watch, just horrible. I'm fucking shell-shocked.

It's just so glaringly obvious that they're not winners. Shameful capitulation. At least we showed some spirit while playing shit in the earlier parts of the season, and that's why I kept hoping that things would finally click into place. But every Liverpool-player out there wanted to get off the pitch as soon as possible after the second went in. Horrible to watch, just horrible. I'm fucking shell-shocked.

A serious question. How much would you blame Benitez for that?

Or should the players step up and take responsibility?

How is it private if I'm getting it from all comers?

Please take your pompous smug attitude and stick it up your aris.

We'll be lucky to finish within 10 points of the mancs this season. At least we'll have won the mini big 4 league eh.

Another fallacy off the list.

I think that's it for me with Benitez now. There's been too many shite results this season, and especially Wigan, Man City and now this game have been too much to bear. It's not just a results based thing either; decent results would be papering over our lack of a basic passing game, our inability to capitalise on set pieces even when we're playing badly, too many disinterested players just here to pick up a wage, an inability to go for a game unless we're losing (and today we didn't even do that) and some baffling lineups and substitutions at times.

I'm not saying this in anger, because I don't feel angry, I just feel empty.

I wasn't expecting us to win the league this season, but I was expecting a decent title challenge. Even just to look as if we could challenge would have been something, but we never really did, even when we were at the top it was down to other teams results. It's inexplicable and unforgivable that we can beat Chelsea twice, the Mancs, Real Madrid away, etc, in the course of a season in which we also surrender abjectly to some of the worst teams in the league and can hardly buy three points at home. We don't look like we have a fucking clue how to finish off some fucking horrible cloggers and it's not good enough.

I've been feeling like this increasingly, but today was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thanks for restoring our pride in Europe Rafa, but we need better than this in the league. We have played as atrocious football as I've ever seen from us at times this season. Pack your bags.

Just about sums it up for me too, we play at times like a pub team, and i think today finally nailed the myth about Alonso being critical to our chances of success, Alonso/Lucas it doesn't matter, we are utter gash no matter who plays.

So the 5 rejected contract offers were just a figment of our imaginations then?

Thank fuck for Benitez and his ego.

No they weren't a figment of our imagination I remember them quite distinctly. Certainly well enough to recall that they happened prior to today's game.

Apparently his job was discussed again recently - he may have come out on top again but if he really trusts Tom Hicks then I'd agree with your opinion that he's a fool. I can't believe that Hicks' intention to remain involved, or his interest in backing Benitez could survive us failing to qualify for the CL given the revenue implications, especially given that much if not all of his much-vaunted "support" of Benitez is itself likely due to financial considerations as much as thinking he's the right man for the job.

I didn't think he just look pissed at the result today, there seemed to be something deeper there. Perhaps it was him accepting that the title has gone, realising that there are maybe a couple of players that shouldn't be pulling on a red shirt any time soon after today's performance, maybe even realising that no amount of supposed tactical genius can compensate for players not doing the simple things well, I don't know but he seemed to have deep subjects on his mind.

Pensive, that's how he looked to me.

I still support Rafa , and can see no logical reason for sacking him at this juncture which would leave us in chaos.

A decision needs to be made at the end of the season whereby we need to go one of 2 ways.

1) Give Rafa any reasonable power he has requested , and then he would have no excuses if he failed next season.

2) Sack Rafa , but only if a world-class manager ( please , none of this nonsense about Kenny or Carra ) has been earmarked & agreed to join us & they must be given the powers Rafa was after.

We brought Rafa in because he was a world class manager, and five years down the line he has not delivered what we got him in to do. Barcelona brought in an untried Guardiola this season and are playing the best football in the world and running away with a league they haven't won in two seasons, without making significant additions to their playing personnel. Nothing is guaranteed in football, but we need something to revitalise this squad or our play will only get worse. I think it's worth the risk at the end of the season, or perhaps earlier if we go out of the Champions League.

We brought Rafa in because he was a world class manager, and five years down the line he has not delivered what we got him in to do. Barcelona brought in an untried Guardiola this season and are playing the best football in the world and running away with a league they haven't won in two seasons, without making significant additions to their playing personnel. Nothing is guaranteed in football, but we need something to revitalise this squad or our play will only get worse. I think it's worth the risk at the end of the season, or perhaps earlier if we go out of the Champions League.

You changed your tune pretty quick mate.

As for Barcelona they bought Pinto, Cáceres, Pique, Keite and Alves in the summer and now have a fully fit Eto'o which can make a huge difference. I do get your point mate and maybe we do need a couple of subtle changes, it would be better if Rafa could recognise this as opposed to getting in a new manager. The problem is I doubt he will change.

You changed your tune pretty quick mate.

Not really, its taken me the whole of this season to arrive where I am now.

I've found myself increasingly more ready to acknowledge Rafa's faults all season, and have done so often enough. It's against my nature not to support the manager or the players however, and I will always stand behind them until it becomes clear that things are not working. I have always said that I expected a decent title challenge this season though.

Today wasn't exactly a road to damascus moment for me, but I'm no longer willing to put up with the displays we have seen this season, especially since the turn of the year. I've moved from supporting the manager with increasing doubts to thinking we need to try something new.

Going back to Barca, I would only call Alves a significant addition and I was wrong to say they've made none, but counterbalance it with selling Ronaldinho.

Edited by zigackly

No they weren't a figment of our imagination I remember them quite distinctly. Certainly well enough to recall that they happened prior to today's game.

Apparently his job was discussed again recently - he may have come out on top again but if he really trusts Tom Hicks then I'd agree with your opinion that he's a fool. I can't believe that Hicks' intention to remain involved, or his interest in backing Benitez could survive us failing to qualify for the CL given the revenue implications, especially given that much if not all of his much-vaunted "support" of Benitez is itself likely due to financial considerations as much as thinking he's the right man for the job.

I didn't think he just look pissed at the result today, there seemed to be something deeper there. Perhaps it was him accepting that the title has gone, realising that there are maybe a couple of players that shouldn't be pulling on a red shirt any time soon after today's performance, maybe even realising that no amount of supposed tactical genius can compensate for players not doing the simple things well, I don't know but he seemed to have deep subjects on his mind.

Pensive, that's how he looked to me.

Hit the nail on the head for me. I got sense of deja vu after yesterdays game, and realised it was like a carbon copy of losing to barnsley last season. Im pretty sure that barnsley game was the day he decided to get rid of finnan, riise, kewell, and possibly alonso and crouch. Yesterday I got the same sense of dejection from him.

ScottyT. Last activity 12.50am

Looks like you had a great night filled with excitement and adventure. Beats the searing pain of human interaction and rejection, I suppose.

I got in around 10.15 after a few pints, you geeky little snide, and there was plenty of real human interaction and not a googled piccie in sight.

Lets face it, even if I was like you love to portray, you'd have to be an absolute cunt to want to use it to score points on the internet. But that sums you up - a snidey little shit with self esteem issues.