You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boycott Setanta.

ScottyT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence to you, mate, but I find that when people constantly bitch about the media, I find it embarassing. I found it really cringeworthy when people complained about Andy Gray last season when he wasn't giving us any credit.

So what if we're not people's cup of tea? I honestly couldn't give a shite.

No offence to you, mate, but I find that when people constantly bitch about the media, I find it embarassing. I found it really cringeworthy when people complained about Andy Gray last season when he wasn't giving us any credit.

So what if we're not people's cup of tea? I honestly couldn't give a shite.

Yep

I find it odd when some people seem to think it's fine to have to pay to watch a match and then turn the sound down and listen to the radio instead in order to avoid witless and biased punditry. If I pay to watch a match on TV I expect decent coverage. Setanta's indulging of Tim Sherwood is outrageous. It's a shoddy product being foisted on to subscribers.

I can't see how somebody who is engaged professionally at a Premier League club can be used as a pundit for other teams games.

Didn't Sky stop Redknapp taking up a role with Chelsea as they felt it was a conflict of interest. ?

Didn't think Burley was as bad as usual tonight during the game , but he got dragged down by Sherwood after the game. Felt Macca could have been stronger but seemed to get steamrollered by Sherwood's bile.

The funny thing is that Spurs are probably the worst team in the Prem for defending Dead ball situations.

Keyes hates us because he is a Manc fan; Gray is honest that he supprts the BS & fair enough.. he won a League with them!

There are also issues with Murdoch

Tonight was unbelievable.

How they could sit there with a straight face & criticise zonal marking due to the fact that Spurs don't use it (possibly because all their coaching staff are never at the training ground but rather are in a motorway service station on the M25 "collecting envelopes".... for charity obviously) was quite beyond me.

Spurs are now the model for defensive efficiency?

Burley doesnt like us- fair enough he played for the Chavs. Even he sounded embarrassed & refered to the team obviosuly palying for Rafa.

There's nothing odd about being irritated by stupidity - or wilful stupidity. Take the Torres issue: they must have known that Torres has had a serious hamstring problem and looked shattered on Wednesday, and will have to play for Spain next week, so pretending it was odd for Rafa to have rested him was just downright insulting. Then there's the 'Rafa's gamble' theme: bearing in mind the toll the cup tie had taken, he was always going to have to take some kind of gamble today - so ponder the extent of it by all means, but don't pretend you're amazed he didn't just say 'same 11, lads!' The whole thing is so tiresomely silly.

They've never had a penny of my money and they never will. I do subscribe to Sky (I enjoy all sport and not just watching the reds, so I'd be fucked if I didn't), but hated Setanta from the start and hoped they'd go out of business within 6 months.

The EU fucked this up good and proper when they clamped down on Sky's football dominance. Their legislation blew up in their face with their one company shouldn't own all the rights bleatings. Most UK punters ended up worse off if they wanted to watch all games live.

Why anyone would pay Setanta £13 per month to watch about 3 or 4 games a season would mystify me. I'm hoping the new deal will see them go bust.

Better on MOTD, but Hansen was over-compensating as usual by trying to sound so impartial he's hyper-critical. Two things really bug me:

1. The 'why did he rest key players?' They were TIRED! What is wrong with these people? At least Shearer said well done for bringing them on later, but that wasn't responding to a 'mistake'.

2. Jocky saying we would've lost to a stronger team - so what? Is Benitez supposed to pick a team to play an imaginary game? Would they criticise Ginsoak for picking fringe players in the FA Cup because they would lose if it was against Inter Milan in the Champions League???

I remember watching Stephen Fry's programme in America and he was speaking to a professor of Theology at Harvard University. He commented that the American people didn't like complexity and only focused on simple solutions to big dilemmas, even when the complex answer is the right one.

I think to an extent, the same thing applies in this country and it certainly applies in this country.

Basically, the mass football coverage in this country is directed towards idiots. Everybody has the simple scapegoat- ie zonal marking, rotation etc- to be the focus of their coverage because it appeals to the mass markets of idiots watching. Nobody offers up detailed, well-thought out supportive arguemts in favour of zonal marking (or even detailed, well-thought out criticisms of zonal marking for that matter) because people would switch off. It's much easier to have the same old lazy criticisms like "space doesn't score goals" without much else added to it, because it's what the public wants.

It's the same thing in the media. If you ever have the misfortune to listen to Talkshite, there's no in-between in their debates, it's one extreme v another to get people to phone in to either vent their spleen or either support a ludicrous argument. There's not much thought involved, but it appeals to the masses.

When I went to Italy last year for our match against Inter, I brought home a couple of copies of Corriere Dello Sport as souvenirs and they had seven or eight pages dedicated to tactical discussion and analysis following our match and with interviews. In this country, most of the football coverage in the papers had an angle on it to create interest (so and so going back to old club, so and so trying to prove old manager wrong, mind games blah blah blah). Again, it's what the masses like, stuff that doesn't take a genius to write and is easy to understand, rather than intelligent praise or criticism.

This is probably the main reason why I don't really get involved in threads about Sky, Setanta, the tabloids etc because they have a mass demographic to satisfy. As Paul Weller said, "what the public wants is what the public gets" and it's certainly the case with football coverage in this country. I don't think it's worth getting worked up over anymore.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one. If you don't like what you're hearing, you know where the mute button is.

Fuck the talking heads anyway, who gives a shit. I just want to see the football.

Look mate - if I want a TV with no sound, I'll have one specially made. I shouldn't have to use the mute button.