You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thatcher

Liverpool lad

This is crazy, I seen one of the BBC controllers on the news this morning justifying the fact that she will not be allowed to appear on the One show any longer, unreal, she should be asked why she is allowed on the BBC at all. I don't get it, Ross said what he did and got torn apart, Thatcher says this and gets sympathy and public support.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Even if we assume (& they are not) that the Mail,etc are correct & she is being victimised becuase the BBC management involved don't like her family name.....

Well you only got the job in the 1st place because of your family connections & name so don't complain now.

Hypocrtitical nonsense

The way I read the articles, she said someone's hair was like a golliwog's. How is that racist?

If she'd said 'Look at her, the golliwog', then most people would agree she was probably being racist. If the person concerned had been white and she'd said their hair was like a golliwog's, would that also be racist?

I don't know who this tennis player is but maybe, just maybe, she does in fact have hair like a golliwogs? Is that so wrong to point out to someone - in private, especially?

We're far too bloody touchy in this country and in the media especially. It's like 'The Bottom Inspectors' from Viz, with this being 'The Racism Inspectors'.

The way I read the articles, she said someone's hair was like a golliwog's. How is that racist?

If she'd said 'Look at her, the golliwog', then most people would agree she was probably being racist. If the person concerned had been white and she'd said their hair was like a golliwog's, would that also be racist?

I don't know who this tennis player is but maybe, just maybe, she does in fact have hair like a golliwogs? Is that so wrong to point out to someone - in private, especially?

We're far too bloody touchy in this country and in the media especially. It's like 'The Bottom Inspectors' from Viz, with this being 'The Racism Inspectors'.

Or perhaps if she said "She has hair like a nigger". Safe difference.

If it weren't the BBC I'd say it's her own business.

How can comparing a black person to a golliwog be anything OTHER than 100% racist? It's the kind of cringeworthy remark that your granddad comes out with after a few too many sherries.

That's the point. We don't know exactly what she said but the articles suggest she compared her hair to a golliwogs. I can't see where in the articles it said she was calling that person a golliwog. If she was, then she deserves what she gets but comparing someon'e hair to a golliwogs hair is hardly racist.

The word 'nigger' is designed to be an insult.

A 'golliwog' is a doll.

Not the same difference at all.

Nigger isn't a designed insult, it's a descriptive word for black people, from the word Negro. It has taken on the baggage of being offensive over the years.

Like Wog, for instance.

fuck's sake get a grip,there's worse things going on in the world than some bint saying the word "GOLLYWOG",Thatcher clan are well known for fucking up though,Dennis getting bladdered at functions,Mark getting lost in the desert then getting found out he'd been selling arms to the arabs,like a posh version of shameless

I heard the controller on the radio this morning and she said that the main issue was that the people she said it to were offended and interpreted what she said as being racist. The controller said she had spent the whole weekend trying to explain to Thatcher how what she said had caused offence, and that Thatcher, being cut from the same shitty cloth as her evil mother, not only refused to apologise to those that she'd said it to, but could not understand how likening the features of a black person to a golliwog could be offensive. A best she is a fucking moron.

I was appalled by what she said. Some of my best friends are wogs.

No comment really other than to say that if losing your job because of remarks you made in private is to become a commonplace occurrence, then god help us all.

I can see the point you are making but she wasn't sacked, she was moved from one role but is still employed by the BBC. Furthermore, she made those comments in her place of work, which is not in private. Being off air does not mean that you are not in work nor does it mean that your comments are private. Racism in the work place is a sackable offence. I'd go as far as saying she didn't get sacked because she was Thatcher's daughter not the other way around.

I heard the controller on the radio this morning and she said that the main issue was that the people she said it to were offended and interpreted what she said as being racist. The controller said she had spent the whole weekend trying to explain to Thatcher how what she said had caused offence, and that Thatcher, being cut from the same shitty cloth as her evil mother, not only refused to apologise to those that she'd said it to, but could not understand how likening the features of a black person to a golliwog could be offensive. A best she is a fucking moron.

I was appalled by what she said. Some of my best friends are wogs.

AH the irony!!!

Another blinding case of our over sensitive hypocritical society.

Let's publicly hang draw and quarter someone, and then find out what happened later.

If she said that someone's hair looked like a Golliwogs, that is in no way racist, she is referring to the childhood icon that used to be on Robertsons Jams & Marmalade (but can't be any more because that might offend someone).

golliwog.jpg

However, if she has said someone is a Golliwog, then that is a derogatory comment, and thus racist. However far be it from us to find out the facts first before serving punishment

AH the irony!!!

Another blinding case of our over sensitive hypocritical society.

Let's publicly hang draw and quarter someone, and then find out what happened later.

If she said that someone's hair looked like a Golliwogs, that is in no way racist, she is referring to the childhood icon that used to be on Robertsons Jams & Marmalade (but can't be any more because that might offend someone).

golliwog.jpg

However, if she has said someone is a Golliwog, then that is a derogatory comment, and thus racist. However far be it from us to find out the facts first before serving punishment

The name came after the doll as far as I know. Putting golly in front of the word wog doesn't sanitise it.