You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hip-Hop...

Chris

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monty:

Is it racist to say a white man with dreadlocks looks like a tool, whereas it actually suits black people. Same with Corn rows?

I could give endless examples of people going against the norm and looking a little odd because of it, looking out of place etc. It just so happens many of these are to do with the crossing over and mixing of different cultures and races.

There's fuck all racist about saying someone looks silly. Christ you look like a firm member of the PC brigade here. I thought this place was against jumping to such conclusions. I despair sometimes.

Monty:

Is it racist to say a white man with dreadlocks looks like a tool, whereas it actually suits black people. Same with Corn rows?

I could give endless examples of people going against the norm and looking a little odd because of it, looking out of place etc. It just so happens many of these are to do with the crossing over and mixing of different cultures and races.

There's fuck all racist about saying someone looks silly. Christ you look like a firm member of the PC brigade here. I thought this place was against jumping to such conclusions. I despair sometimes.

Except you said Raps for black people.

That is racist.

Except you said Raps for black people.

That is racist.

It was born out of black neighbourhoods, by black people, about black people and their community, for black people. It is, intrinsically, part of black culture and will forever remain so whoever chooses to listen to it. Fuck off with all this racism bollocks. Such music was NO DOUBT created for black people at least in the beginning and I'm sure the vast majority of artists would tell you the same.

It will forever remain largely listened to and produced by black people. It will forever remain about black people and their communities, and be part of black culture. If people can identify with it then fine, but lets not pretend it was meant to speak out to people who've never faced the same struggles as many black communities across the States.

Out of interest is calling the awards ceremony the MOBO'S racist too then, due to them saying music is of black origin, as I have.

We won't agree on the matter. As far as I'm concerned it's closed.

It was born out of black neighbourhoods, by black people, about black people and their community, for black people. It is, intrinsically, part of black culture and will forever remain so whoever chooses to listen to it. Fuck off with all this racism bollocks. Such music was NO DOUBT created for black people at least in the beginning and I'm sure the vast majority of artists would tell you the same.

It will forever remain largely listened to and produced by black people. It will forever remain about black people and their communities, and be part of black culture. If people can identify with it then fine, but lets not pretend it was meant to speak out to people who've never faced the same struggles as many black communities across the States.

Out of interest is calling the awards ceremony the MOBO'S racist too then, due to them saying music is of black origin, as I have.

Close all you want. Use the term PC Brigade all you want. The origins of the music mean fuck all, it's a genre of music and it don't matter if you're black, white or yellow rap music isn't 'for' anyone anymore than folk, rock or classical is. Gallagher and Plan B both strum a guitar and talk about their down in the dumps shit; one of them isn't anymore silly than the other because he decides to get the bpm of his vocals going a bit.

Laughing at someone who likes rap music because they are white is racism. Dance around that all you want but it is. Talk about hairstyles all you want, but it still is.

And the MOBOs is possibly the most retarded concept ever. If we're all out of africa then every music is up for an award, it's all MOBO, if not and they want to be more specific then I look forward to Bloc Party and TV on the Radio sweeping the boards this year.

Oh fuck off.

Music for black people? Do one you fucking tart.

Crowd at a Wu Tang concert, notice the diversity?

4_Wu_Tang_Clan_Concert.jpg

The next one, MC Serch. The man who was behind the beats to the greatest album in a genre "for black people". The man produced Illmatic and was a big star in the late 80's hip hop scene. Notice anything? He's white.

mc-serch-02.jpg

The next bloke? Probably many peoples Greatest MC of All Time, a mainstay in everybodies top ten MCs and easily the most controversial yet popular rapper of the late 90's right up until now. This man can sell out concerts everywhere and could drop an album tomorrow and sell millions in his first week. Suprisingly enough, this bloke is white.

Eminem.jpg

Those three pictures illustated fans, legendary artists and producers in this "black" genre. Yet, the funny thing is they're white. Now call me crazy but could it be that you are generalizing that only black people live in these places and go through these struggles?

I was going to stay out of this thread as most anti-hip hop comments are either highly subjective or highly retarded and therefore it's pointless addressing them. However, this has taken an interesting turn with the racial dimension. The fact is that many musical genres that originated with black artists and audiences are now considered universal, racially speaking. Jazz and rock are the two most obvious ones; indeed rock has evolved to the point where it is now overwhelmingly perceived as a "white" genre as there are relatively very few black rock musicians. However that doesn't change the fact that the genre grew out of the blues and then subsequently the sound created by Chuck Berry (I've seen Back to the Future). Hip hop is in the early stages of such an evolution. However, the nature of modern popular culture, with universal and cheap access to music and video might well make this evolution a slower one.

this is all true to a point but the earliest origins of hip hop or rap came about as a way to litterily geting a party going.

had nothing to do with anyones struggles.

so although there is some truth in what you say you can not say rap at its earliest point was for or about black people.

thats wrong,white people make up the biggest persentage of people who buy rap music.

i think your problem is your oppinion of rap is based soley on "gangsta rap"...theres much more to the genre than just bitches,hoes and guns.

i think your coming off rather ignorant rather than racist.

a quick question,you say white boys listening to music about bitches and hoes riles you,how do you know their not listening to Immortal Techniqe or Common or Outkast?

The next one, MC Serch. The man who was behind the beats to the greatest album in a genre "for black people". The man produced Illmatic and was a big star in the late 80's hip hop scene. Notice anything? He's white.

mc-serch-02.jpg

i hate to be pedant but search didnt actually produce any of the tracks on Illmatic.

he was the executive producer of the album though.

he was also a member of 3rd base,one of the most succesful rap groups back in the 80s.

I like Method Man because he reminds me of Cheese Wagstaff from The Wire.

As far as enjoying Hip Hop and R&B, these traditionally 'black' genres are probably my favourite music genres, especially in a club setting, but it's probably because I just like the beats, not because they speak to me. The Beatles don't speak to me either, despite the fact my Nan lived next door to where Lennon's auntie did.

People overcomplicate music sometimes, it's one of the reason I can't be arsed with music discussions, you either like a tune or you don't - simple as.

I like Method Man because he reminds me of Cheese Wagstaffe from The Wire.

As far as enjoying Hip Hop and R&B, these traditionally 'black' genres are probably my favourite music genres, especially in a club setting, but it's probably because I just like the beats, not because they speak to me. The Beatles don't speak to me either, despite the fact my nan lived next door to where Lennon's did.

People overcomplicate music sometimes, it's one of the reason I can't be arsed with music discussions, you either like a tune or you don't - simple as.

Exactly. Music is nearly all about the music for me; lyrics just don't interest me that much. Don't get me wrong, I like a good lyric, but I'm never getting past a shit tune because someone's got a nice turn of phrase. I know The Mont has said before that he's almost completely the other way round, which is, of course, cool. I'm hugely passionate about music, but there's nothing sillier than an "It's great", "No it's not, it's shit" discussion. It's called personal preference, dickheads.

Sadly hiphop is dying slowly

I find myself being one of those old twats who are out of touch with everything always moaning. Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx are on constant rotation

Although me being quite the old school lover I still rate certain rappers but its lost its identity about 3 years ago now everything is about 'swag' and the cars and hoes.

Sadly hiphop is dying slowly

I find myself being one of those old twats who are out of touch with everything always moaning. Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx are on constant rotation

Although me being quite the old school lover I still rate certain rappers but its lost its identity about 3 years ago now everything is about 'swag' and the cars and hoes.

It's really not, mate. It's just the mainstream that's shit. Hip hop remains as fresh as it ever was on the underground/indie scene.

Please don't tell me with geeks like Asher Roth and all them other back packers. I'm only 19 so this garbage should be to my liking but its far to watered down and predictable

I prefer listening to Rza,Kool G Rap going off on a mad one and stringing a bunch of crazy lines together or Q tip coming with a fresh new and unique sound.

Only person I rate from the underground scene would be Styles P,Royce,Crooked I,Termanology and Ransom.

I like Method Man because he reminds me of Cheese Wagstaff from The Wire.

As far as enjoying Hip Hop and R&B, these traditionally 'black' genres are probably my favourite music genres, especially in a club setting, but it's probably because I just like the beats, not because they speak to me. The Beatles don't speak to me either, despite the fact my Nan lived next door to where Lennon's auntie did.

i completely agree with this,and for some reason it only seems to be rap music that people seem to over complicate.

people want some sort of message or still want the genre to be evolving after 30 years.

but at the same time the same person who is bemoaning rap will list off bands like the beatles or the stones as their favourite bands ever.

great as the music is,wheres the message in it?

Oh fuck off.

QUOTE]

Are you incapable of having any kind of debate without attempting to be insulting? I've listened to your points, and answered them with my opinions. You wouldn't really speak to me in the same way in person, so why do so here within your internet safety blanket?

Anyhow, you'll never shift me from the stance that hip hop is a creation of black communities, no matter how much it transcends, becomes accepted and taken on by other races. Music of black origin.

And can we please stop pretending rap music speaks to you. It has about as much resonance as a cooing pidgeon.

Oh fuck off.

QUOTE]

Are you incapable of having any kind of debate without attempting to be insulting? I've listened to your points, and answered them with my opinions. You wouldn't really speak to me in the same way in person, so why do so here within your internet safety blanket?

Anyhow, you'll never shift me from the stance that hip hop is a creation of black communities, no matter how much it transcends, becomes accepted and taken on by other races. Music of black origin.

And can we please stop pretending rap music speaks to you. It has about as much resonance as a cooing pidgeon.

That's some seriously ignorant shit.