You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

At double the rate of homicide compared to Iran, you would’ve thought the US would try to sort out their problems at home first, right?

We may have more people to worry about, but yes, it is a huge problem.

What does that have to do with a government admitting to executing their own citizens?

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

As I have said - this is not proof -- but

All written accounts (that you or anyone else has linked) are from "the fella".

But I agree, there seems to be some grey area -- however two things are certain.

Eyewitnesses have said "flying objects". In the interview transcript "the fella" said he thought they were bullets right? Either that was a poor translation, it was related to him from the eyewitnesses or it is his opinion.

And there was a small Iranian boat on site in the middle of the night.

Can we agree on those facts?

There's no evidence that the small boat was Iranian.  The White House say it was; the Iranians say it's got nothing to do with them. Both claims can be dismissed with "they would say that, wouldn't they". Until there is either an Iranian admission or some concrete evidence, I can't say it's a "fact" that there was an Iranian boat there.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

We may have more people to worry about, but yes, it is a huge problem.

What does that have to do with a government executing their own citizens?

Per 100,000 inhabitants Howie, so a bigger problem than you think.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There has never been any statement from Iran about the boats origin -- it is pretty easy to id that part.

What they have said is that it is not removing a mine.

I can only find links with Iran saying that the whole thing is bollocks and that they had nothing at all to do with the attacks  (apart from helping to evacuate the crews).  That implies that the boat in the US film is either not an Iranian one, or it's footage unrelated to the attacks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/dangerous-iran-denies-claims-gulf-tankers-190614151217769.html

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He probably hasn't to be fair. 

But if you want to be taken seriously when discussing historic events it would help if you do.

Would it really? I mean, when presented with an article showing declassified CIA documents admitting an active role in overthrowing a secular democratically elected Prime Minister, you asked me to just ignore it and read different articles and stop reading Chomsky or something. Flatly denied your (their) involvement.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That implies that the boat in the US film is either not an Iranian one, or it's footage unrelated to the attacks.

Mate - I really respect your opinion on this - but that is a real stretch that you seem to be willing to make. It is, frankly, suspect to suggest a boat that matches others in that capacity, at that place, at that time, is not Iranian.

I do understand they have denied it.

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Would it really? I mean, when presented with an article showing declassified CIA documents admitting an active role in overthrowing a secular democratically elected Prime Minister, you asked me to just ignore it and read different articles and stop reading Chomsky or something.

Bro -- I then posted a similar de classified document (because I wanted you to have a source you apparently trust) that preceeded the one you linked and specifically supports the facts in the post I made. It shows a timeline that is historical and not in doubt. Its not my opinion.

So yes, of course it would. And yes, I think it would behoove you to consider other sources when forming yours imo. I try to.

Its a conversation, not a pissing contest.

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There's no evidence that the small boat was Iranian.  The White House say it was; the Iranians say it's got nothing to do with them. Both claims can be dismissed with "they would say that, wouldn't they". Until there is either an Iranian admission or some concrete evidence, I can't say it's a "fact" that there was an Iranian boat there.

The boat is of a class that’s unique to Iranian Navy. They ‘parade’ them. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bro -- I then posted a similar de classified document (because I wanted you to have a source you apparently trust) that preceeded the one you linked and specifically supports the facts in the post I made. It shows a timeline that is historical and not in doubt. Its not my opinion.

So yes, it would. And yes, it would behoove you to consider other sources and when forming yours imo. I try to.

I’m not trying to defend the UK’s role in overthrowing Mossadegh, I’m trying to stop you from blaming Iran when you guys eventually attack them, which looks like it could happen anytime now.

Some bloke (Eliot Higgins) who works for Bellingcat has done a piece in the NYT and he's concluded, with working out, that the video is of one of the tankers in question and that the small vessel next to it is of the same kind as has appeared in openly available Iranian military recordings of ceremonies etc in Iran. 

However, he believes that the video is inconclusive as it doesn't identify clearly enough the item that appears to be on the side of the tanker, nor does it indicate in anyway who put this unidentifiable item there in the first place. 

He summarises by saying "we can say for certain this is not the slam-dunk evidence that some would like to claim it is. In the escalating conflict between the United States and Iran we have to work on all the information available, not just what one side presents." 

It's also worth noting that there's been a recent Taliban attack on a convoy in Afghanistan, which contained several US vehicles. The Taliban openly admitted carrying out this attack. However, Pompeo has gone out of his way to try and link this attack to Iran, suggesting that the Taliban were acting as an Iranian "surrogate" despite there being little evidence to suggest that the Iranians have such a relationship with the Taliban. 

There's just a very strong whiff of America smarting for a fight with Iran. 

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’m not trying to defend the UK’s role in overthrowing Mossadegh, I’m trying to stop you from blaming Iran when you guys eventually attack them, which looks like it could happen anytime now.

I am not defending any interventionism and have already posted that I doubt any attack will happen, much less that I would support it - which is of course 180 degrees from blaming Iranians for anything. But they have crazy previous for de stabilising the area for their own good. You know what happens to oil prices when a tanker is attacked right?

The US buys the stuff they have to sell. Same with Venezuela right? If they could sell it to anyone - ANYONE - else they would. But they can't. Which is why they tailspin when emabargos and sanctions are put in place.

Do you really think the US military is salivating at the chance to tonk Iran?

It is like a qualifying game in the Europa league FFS.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mate - I really respect your opinion on this - but that is a real stretch that you seem to be willing to make. It is, frankly, suspect to suggest a boat that matches others in that capacity, at that place, at that time, is not Iranian.

I do understand they have denied it.

Do you know how common that type of boat is? Me neither. It could be that hardly anyone but the Iranians have them or it could be that every cunt's got one.

All we have is the US and Iran giving contradictory accounts. Both have reason to lie. It seems sensible to ask for credible evidence before deciding to believe one side or the other. 

20 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do you know how common that type of boat is? Me neither. It could be that hardly anyone but the Iranians have them or it could be that every cunt's got one.

All we have is the US and Iran giving contradictory accounts. Both have reason to lie. It seems sensible to ask for credible evidence before deciding to believe one side or the other. 

Ha ha, they fucking ‘parade’ them every year.  So the US either nicked one or made one...or the more simple explanation is that it’s iranian.