You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

The reality is that for most there is no 'right' time to have kids, not least because your perspective changes over time. From wanting no kids when I first got married, to being absolutely ready by the time I was 25, I didn't have my first until I was 30 but even then I really wasnt sure we could afford it. Now, as I approach my kids' independence if I had my chance again I'd have had them when I was younger. I want time now to do some things to suit myself before being faced with the failing of my parents' health, when it comes, and the potential arrival of grandchildren.

There's just never enough time

She can't get pregnant out here yet anyway (stoned to death) so I can carry on putting it up there for a while yet.

You could always just try the morning after pill, it's not guaranteed 100% effective like her being stoned to death would be but it's probably a little easier and you're less likely to have her whining on about it. It's worth looking into. 

The reality is that for most there is no 'right' time to have kids, not least because your perspective changes over time. From wanting no kids when I first got married, to being absolutely ready by the time I was 25, I didn't have my first until I was 30 but even then I really wasnt sure we could afford it. Now, as I approach my kids' independence if I had my chance again I'd have had them when I was younger. I want time now to do some things to suit myself before being faced with the failing of my parents' health, when it comes, and the potential arrival of grandchildren.

There's just never enough time

I'm 35 and I still don't see me ever having kids. I love my little cousins and my mates two kids but that's great just being Uncle Chris, I turn up with sweets, play football and games with them for a day and then bugger off. It's very easy being fun Uncle Chris who acts around the same age as them but actually being responsible for them properly. Fuck that!

You could always just try the morning after pill, it's not guaranteed 100% effective like her being stoned to death would be but it's probably a little easier and you're less likely to have her whining on about it. It's worth looking into.

She's got an implant, no way am I having a bath with my socks on.

I'm 35 and I still don't see me ever having kids. I love my little cousins and my mates two kids but that's great just being Uncle Chris, I turn up with sweets, play football and games with them for a day and then bugger off. It's very easy being fun Uncle Chris who acts around the same age as them but actually being responsible for them properly. Fuck that!

Like most things in life, you get out what you put in. Being a parent is tough and a lot of responsibility but nothing I have ever done comes close it in terms of it ability to bring you to your knees with emotion. It's an incredible roller-coaster. And she's only 5.

Mine lives 300 miles away. Still too close.

Mine lives over the road but she's a spiteful fucking psycho slag. Disappointing really as if she wasn't she could look after mine today. Baby's not well, can't go to nursery and I'm meant to be leaving for work in two hours. Ringing round trying to find someone suitable to look after her now but with no joy.

Looks like I'll have to ring in sick, put her to bed and watch Better Call Saul. Fuck my life.

• Upvote 1

I signed up for a donor scheme this morning. When I was younger I couldn't give a shit about that sort of stuff but reading a story this morning about a 7 year old kid needing a bone marrow transplant so I've signed up and go for an appointment thursday to see if I by any chance match.

• Upvote 1

Mine lives over the road but she's a spiteful fucking psycho slag. Disappointing really as if she wasn't she could look after mine today. Baby's not well, can't go to nursery and I'm meant to be leaving for work in two hours. Ringing round trying to find someone suitable to look after her now but with no joy.

Looks like I'll have to ring in sick, put her to bed and watch Better Call Saul. Fuck my life.

And I bet the missus will claim you've had it easy when she gets home too.

Ungrateful cow.

• Upvote 1

Like most things in life, you get out what you put in. Being a parent is tough and a lot of responsibility but nothing I have ever done comes close it in terms of it ability to bring you to your knees with emotion. It's an incredible roller-coaster. And she's only 5.

I don't necessarily disagree, it's not like I don't like kids. Just whatever that thing is that makes people want their own isn't in me, it isn't so much a purely selfish wanting my own life thing although that may be part of it for me, the desire just isn't there for it at all.

I don't necessarily disagree, it's not like I don't like kids. Just whatever that thing is that makes people want their own isn't in me, it isn't so much a purely selfish wanting my own life thing although that may be part of it for me, the desire just isn't there for it at all.

This is going to sound awful, but I didn't want/plan mine either. I was 21 and thought it was the end of my life basically. Never have I been so glad to have been proven so very, very wrong.

I was exactly the same mate, 'how could I have kids, I'm a fucking big kid myself'?

That was until just before Christmas when we had a scare and I was gutted she wasn't pregnant. I hadn't even thought about it, it was just a natural reaction of disappointment.

Ever since then my clock is ticking worse than hers!

He's awesome mate, we'd like 4 but as you say hard work. And bloody expensive.

After the second the caring lark becomes a piece of cake, you don't even have to worry about feeding them as the older kids remind you. IT gets better when they have to remind you of their name. I just do head counts when it comes to family outings. 

Mate, there are so many variables that you're blessed/lucky to have one (depending on your POV) and very lucky to have the number you want.

If you want four, I'd get cracking now!

Indeed, I had fertility treatment for some of my lot, I would love another but not sure I could face the full on emotional roller coaster again. 

Of course. 4 would be an ideal but one would be a dream.

She may even have problems conceiving etc.

She? Ha! The confidence you've got in your swimmers! 

After the second the caring lark becomes a piece of cake, you don't even have to worry about feeding them as the older kids remind you. IT gets better when they have to remind you of their name. I just do head counts when it comes to family outings.

Indeed, I had fertility treatment for some of my lot, I would love another but not sure I could face the full on emotional roller coaster again.

She? Ha! The confidence you've got in your swimmers!

The fucking mess I make...my swimmers would put Phelps to shame.

Due to previous scares I can confirm that my own swimmers are in perfect working order. The "I'm late" phone calls, they never cease to be terrifying. 

Anonymous donations gladly given, must be totally anonymous though, I don't want those buggers in the CSA trying to take my cash.