You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 years on

Kevin D

I don't feel I need to make peace with Houllier at all. He brought some good things to the club, we won a few trophies under him, and there were some great memories in all of that.

I feel he stayed a year too long, but that's not the end of the world, and I'm glad I support a club that gives its managers plenty of time as the game is littered with clubs who have a revolving door at the manager's office.

As for the finance stuff, I know he got a great pay off and I'm not sure if there was any other money siphoned off via dodgy transfers and whatnot. If none of that is proven we shouldn't stoke it all up.

Best to remember the good times I feel, or else you leave the door open for bitterness.

i don't post on here much, more of a serial lurker, but this man constantly posts sense and i just wish that more supporters had this outlook, and it's one that i see really epitomises 'the liverpool way'.

yes, houllier's reign was pretty hideous to watch at the end, but i shall always remember with great fondness that wonderful week in may 2001, as well as many other memories from around that time (the mccallister derby, amongst others).

it's pretty clear that he's disliked amongst many of our support, and there's nothing that's been said in this thread that can overly be disagreed with apart from the hyperbole, but i for one will always remember a few little things of that era that always make me proud to be a red, and mr houllier played a large part in those, whether we like him or not.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the hatred towards Houllier. He was not perfect, and certainly went downhill after his illness, but he did nothing but his best and brought us some great times too. Where he failed was taking us the next step, and I think he was let down by some of the players, mainly Diouf, who was a big money signing but did not deliver. Of course the Mnaager must stand or fall by his decisions, and Houllier fell, but I see no need for hatred against a man that won a treble for us, and gave us our closest title challenge since Dalglish left in 1991, second place and just 7 points behind the Champions.

Dont remember this can someone post a link please.

BTW why is he still out of management. Think his reputation in the transfer market has caught up with him.

He managed Lyon after he left us for about two years and now I believe is some kind of technical advisor to the French FA or French national team, or something along those lines.

I think GH initially did very well for us. He brought us into the modern age (diet etc), removed Roy's Spice Boy culture, built a very good spine (H&H,Didi) & won the treble.

A Gooner friend of mine is a surgeon & I remember him telling me after the Roma game that this was utter madness: he reckoned that the operation GH had was about as serious as you can have & survive (indeed had it initially occured anywhere other Anfield on match day with its medical facilities he probably would have died): he thought the re-appearance itself was risky & that no private company would let an employee return (if at all) to a senior role for at least 12 months.

The signings of Diao,Diouf & Cheyrou were what ruined his time here as not only did they cost us a fortune but they lost him the confidence of senior players & fans. However he made them whilst clearly unwell.

Was he initially a good manager? Yes Would he have been able to push on from that base? No-one knows.

But the real error was letting a sick man return to a position of responsibility way too soon. Again we were being run like a small,jolly,friendly private members-club of 30 years ago, not a modern business. Thanks DM.

Houllier was the right man at the right time but he should have left 2 seasons before he did. With retrospect he should have gone when he had his heart problems but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I was desperate for Houllier to leave in 2004, and was delighted when he did. Heskey was another who I disliked immensely at the time but my feelings towards both have softened since. Thanks for what you did, glad you're not here anymore, no hard feelings.

I can't comment on things that may have gone on since as I don't know anything about them. I always got the impression that Houllier was a good man though, I don't think he was ever a cunt or evil or anything. His main problem was his ego, but I don't hate him for it.

I can't believe the hatred towards Houllier. He was not perfect, and certainly went downhill after his illness, but he did nothing but his best and brought us some great times too. Where he failed was taking us the next step, and I think he was let down by some of the players, mainly Diouf, who was a big money signing but did not deliver. Of course the Mnaager must stand or fall by his decisions, and Houllier fell, but I see no need for hatred against a man that won a treble for us, and gave us our closest title challenge since Dalglish left in 1991, second place and just 7 points behind the Champions.

I don't hate the man at all but I was told by a former player on a golf outing that Houllier had been bungs on transfer deals involving some players. I can't remember the players names but Ferri was definitely one of them. He also said that Neil Mellor's agent was his dad and when he went in to get a contract extension for his son, Houllier said there would be no problem as long as the deal was done through Houllier's own personal agent. The father refused and Mellor went to West Ham shortly afterwards.

I don't know if any of this is true but it's what I was told. :(

I don't hate the man at all but I was told by a former player on a golf outing that Houllier had been bungs on transfer deals involving some players. I can't remember the players names but Ferri was definitely one of them. He also said that Neil Mellor's agent was his dad and when he went in to get a contract extension for his son, Houllier said there would be no problem as long as the deal was done through Houllier's own personal agent. The father refused and Mellor went to West Ham shortly afterwards.

I don't know if any of this is true but it's what I was told. :(

I can't believe Houllier was never dragged into the bungs scandel with Redknapp and Allardyce. With the amount of shit French players he signed there must have been a few brown envelopes being handed out, I hope so anyway - for his sake. If he bought the likes of Ferri, Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf becasue he thought they were good then God help him!

He was an idiot who thought he owned the club. A despicable wanker.

He put trophies back on the agenda, we regularly fucked the mancs. What exactly was despicable about what he did and why would you describe him as a Wanker.

He just wasn't good enough is all. He did it the way he thought best. Tell me you never chanted his name when we won or indeed when we lost! I was glad when we replaced him but I am glad he came.

Really poor effort at a comment Rash!!

He had his faults and it was time for him to go when he did. But overall he halted a long period of decline and made us respectable again - particularly in European terms.

If the bungs thing were proven true then I would lose any respect for him but (just like with Grobelaar) I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

There was diffentatly some great times and games with GH for a short two seasons coming so close to the title in 01/02 but for a great Arsenal team.'10 games from greatness'...ahem.What we'd give to have his record against the mancs again,but then it went all tits up.Unbeaten after 11 games i think, and then that defensive disaster away to 'boro, beat 1-0 and everything unravelled.02/03 and 03/04 turned out to be some of the worst football ever seen at Anfield and away from home.But saying all that i dont bear him any bad will cos sometimes he provided some great times like beating the mancs twice at Cardiff and a couple of European trophies something we hadn't seen

in a long long time.

He had his faults and it was time for him to go when he did. But overall he halted a long period of decline and made us respectable again - particularly in European terms.

If the bungs thing were proven true then I would lose any respect for him but (just like with Grobelaar) I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agree with that. That week at the end of the 2001 season is one of the best of my life. Thank you GH.

Regarding the bungs. If the BBC can name & shame Allardyce and the police arrest Redknapp on evidence that seems flimsy at best, why isn't GH under the spotlight?

If people on here know he was on the take, then why aren't the authorities investigating him?

I can't understand the hatred. It's not like he disrespected the Hillsborough dead or anything.

My issue with GH was that the football we played was utter shite. I didn't mind that at first as he seemed to be building a solid base and we needed to sort out our defence.

When Anelka came it really looked like he was going to let us off the leash and play a bit more football but a couple of draws, a 2 all against newcastle i remember, and he went back to simply not playing.

People stopped mocking our defence and simply mocked the club full stop. Not that other fans bother me, more that they had a point.

Under Rafa we are defensively solid and play decent footy. I wish people would remember what we were like under GH when Rafa gets stick. Not that he doesn't do odd things but god the football is so much better now.

Some of our football under Rafa has been terminally dire, worse than anything we saw under GH, and I'm his biggest fan.

I don't think there's that much difference in either managers philosophy, it's very continental, and often out of place in the 'up and at 'em' English league.

Dont really know how i feel about Houllier to be honest, i defo dont hate him tho. Like a number of people have already said we has some magic nights under his reign (the FA cup final being my personal favourite). It must be said we also had a lot of bad times and the football we played at times was awful (the vitesse match at anfield was on of the worst games i ever seen, the stadium was half empty and it was fookin freezin).

For many of us tho, we were not old enough to remember the glory days and the treble year was the first time many had seen us win something live (aprt from 1992 and 1995).

P.S although it could be well argued Houllier was pulling the strings, the season we finished second (our highest finish in the PL era), THOMMO was our manager for a large part of it!

Dont really know how i feel about Houllier to be honest, i defo dont hate him tho. Like a number of people have already said we has some magic nights under his reign (the FA cup final being my personal favourite). It must be said we also had a lot of bad times and the football we played at times was awful (the vitesse match at anfield was on of the worst games i ever seen, the stadium was half empty and it was fookin freezin).

For many of us tho, we were not old enough to remember the glory days and the treble year was the first time many had seen us win something live (aprt from 1992 and 1995).

P.S although it could be well argued Houllier was pulling the strings, the season we finished second (our highest finish in the PL era), THOMMO was our manager for a large part of it!

I was a lurking bitch under most of the 'Momo' months and for the rest, well, i simply dont like getting involved in pure wind-ups as responding to them only gives the imbeciles some amount of joy.

But now i think, nay, i demand, respond.

I mean the lad has obviously married too young. He's a 'feeder'. He's connected his Old Aged Pensioner wife to a feeding drip and between every 3 ounces of lard he feeds down her fat-tube this poor, misguided, misunderstood and pathetic excuse for a man with a life has enough time on his small little hands to come onto a forum and make-believe he's somebody semi-important.

How fat is she now?

Does she gag between 'meals'?

Can you stick it in between a roll of her thigh yet?

Rafas' footy has been as bad as GHs'?

For anybody else stating they 'hate' GH with a passion, ive said it before to someone, but grow up. And this time no personal pm please. Put your answer in the thread.

Hate is an emotion i doubt most people will ever truly feel.

I mean the lad has obviously married too young. He's a 'feeder'. He's connected his Old Aged Pensioner wife to a feeding drip and between every 3 ounces of lard he feeds down her fat-tube this poor, misguided, misunderstood and pathetic excuse for a man with a life has enough time on his small little hands to come onto a forum and make-believe he's somebody semi-important..

I'm a cool cunt. You're a self important internet forum wanker.

It's official.

Kisses.