You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who has had a better season?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone really think a set of fans who are hopelessly deluded(spurs,not us:smile:)are still basking in the joy of winning the carling cup?

of course their not,their drowning in the realization that they have massively under achieved,again.

our current situation rather than spurs all the time.

i think if you were to ask a spurs fan the same question they would say us.

Liverpool Fc is also as much about ambition to be number one as much it is to win trophies...

Whilst winning the league cup is nice, would you be happy for the club to have winning the league cup as the number 1 ambition of the season? over trying to challenge and make progress in the league in the current circumstances and maybe even win it....?

If winning the league cup is the ambition of this club at the start of the season, then something is wrong, really wrong...

We have finished 4th, got to a CL Semi final, went out embarrasingly in the FA Cup and our reserves got knocked out the League Cup by a strong Chelsea side.

Spurs were fancied to challenge for a CL place at the start of the season but are mid table but they have won the League Cup so have they had a better season overall than us because they actually won something or have we had a better season than them even though we finished trophyless?

Dont agree with that one bit

They won the Mickey Mouse cup and its the league that matters

Actually we´ve had a better season than last season in that we have amassed more points but some might say as we finished 4th weve gone backwards

One thing for sure is we have had a vastly superior season to Spurs, if thats the case next season only time will tell

I would much rather have had our season than Spurs' season. Obviously we exist to win trophies, but if Rafa would have won us the League Cup and finished 11th (or whatever Spurs will have achieved) then I can say for certain that he would be sacked and the fans would be up in arms.

As it stands, while we're not satisfied with a potless campaign, we (or at least the vast majority) of fans are willing to see Rafa carry on next season. That tells its own story as to who has had the better season in most fans' eyes.

Like it or not, our manager (and a significant number of fans) have no interest in the League Cup.

And I'd take being a decent 90 minutes performance away from ANOTHER European Cup Final over that any time.

Spurs are (and most likely always will be) pointless, lighweight, soft-centred London fancy boys. Good luck to them.

On another note, Ramos isn't fit to pick peanuts out of Rafa's shite and they'll still finish 8th next season, if they're lucky.

I despair. I really do. If there were only 3 places up for grabs in the CL everyone would be up in arms anyway. The 4 CL places available have lowered fans expectations at this club. People say 'only' the League Cup. Only the League Cup we have won more than anybody else. Okay the ones who are saying that when we hopefully next get to a league cup final can I have your tickets seeing as you aren't very interested in it.

It's admirable that some people would rather us win a trophy and finish tenth, than be in the CL etc but I don't think it's realistic.

Yes, a day out at Wembley is much better than just finishing fourth, but the higher up in the league you are, the more chance you have of winning trophies now AND in the future.

Ask yourself this:

Would you rather have a job where you've got a one year contract worth about £50K a year or a permanent job for £30K a year?

That's how I look at it - being virtually guaranteed of finishing in the top four gives you greater security and a higher chance of success.

Liverpool Fc is also as much about ambition to be number one as much it is to win trophies...

Whilst winning the league cup is nice, would you be happy for the club to have winning the league cup as the number 1 ambition of the season? over trying to challenge and make progress in the league in the current circumstances and maybe even win it....?

If winning the league cup is the ambition of this club at the start of the season, then something is wrong, really wrong...

If finishing 4th is the ambition of this club at the start of the season, then something is wrong, really wrong...

I think the split is because of the generation gap to be honest.

Lets face it, anyone who was born in the 80s are not going to remember the good times when we steamrolled the title year in year out and won trophies, remembering the days out at wembley and such back in the day. They also weren't around during the Euro hayday where the special games came and the whole city ground to a standstill, it is only since the turn of the century where amazing European nights came back to Anfield, those are the games my generation will remember now. Juventus, Inter. Barca. I feel personally I would rather watch those games, instead of going to Wembley and watching a final between us and another premier league side. hence the reason why being in the CL is the overriding factor.

However, I do love the trophies and I am inclined to agree that a trophy at the end of the season is worth it, no matter what the trophy, just to keep adding to our tally and say "yeah, here is another addition to the family"

I despair. I really do. If there were only 3 places up for grabs in the CL everyone would be up in arms anyway. The 4 CL places available have lowered fans expectations at this club. People say 'only' the League Cup. Only the League Cup we have won more than anybody else. Okay the ones who are saying that when we hopefully next get to a league cup final can I have your tickets seeing as you aren't very interested in it.

4th place gives us the chance to win Europe's Premier Competition next season, hardly a case of lowering expectations at this club.

Infact, if only winning the league cup is priority for this club, thats what looks like lowering expectations.

If finishing 4th is the ambition of this club at the start of the season, then something is wrong, really wrong...

It's not the ambition though mate is it? Finishing in the top four is important, but winning trophies is equally important. I'm convinced that we go into every season trying to win the league, but it just so happens that at the moment fourth is our level unfortunately.

We have a genuine chance of winning the other trophies EVERY year though. We've just had a bad couple of years (which i'm not excusing, just trying to explain!).

4th place gives us the chance to win Europe's Premier Competition next season, hardly a case of lowering expectations at this club.

Infact, if only winning the league cup is priority for this club, thats what looks like lowering expectations.

Like it or not 4 CL Places HAS lowered expectations here right from the top. You get the same 'reward' for finishing 4th as you do for winning the title. Is that right? I don't think it is.

I remember feeling sick at the end of the Birmingham game at the end of 03-04 when we beat them 3-0 at St.Andrews and Houllier came over to the fans at the end of the game celebrating raising fists to the fans.

I didn't say winning the League Cup is a priority you are totally misquoting what I say now, I enjoy us adding to our trophy haul and we haven't won anything in two seasons now. People say it gives us the chance to compete for the title etc due to money if we finish in the top 4 every season due to more money etc, not doing a very good job are we? The game is dictated by money now, even in some fans eyes rather than actual SUCCESS and winning trophies. Sad situation.

ifis a very big word

Dont agree with that one bit

They won the Mickey Mouse cup and its the league that matters

Actually we´ve had a better season than last season in that we have amassed more points but some might say as we finished 4th weve gone backwards

One thing for sure is we have had a vastly superior season to Spurs, if thats the case next season only time will tell

A Mickey Mouse Cup we have beaten the mancs in the final twice, the blueshite, funnily enough Spurs (ironic) and was the springboard for the treble in 00-01 you mean and Was part of another treble in 83-84.

That 'Mickey Mouse Cup' bollocks does annoy me I have to say. I realise the importance of qualifying for the CL in the modern game, but belittling the League Cup just because it's not the top priority, is just stupid.

Winning that trophy is class.

Guest TK-421

I remember feeling sick at the end of the Birmingham game at the end of 03-04 when we beat them 3-0 at St.Andrews and Houllier came over to the fans at the end of the game celebrating raising fists to the fans.

Maybe he had foreseen what would happen the following season.

The European Cup has always been special for Liverpool and Rafa has rekindled the love affair with the competition. People talk about challenging for the league, well personally I have enjoyed us challenging for the European Cup for three out of four seasons and winning it on the back of a fourth placed finish.

Rafa has won a domestic cup anyway so the argument he doesn't really care about them doesn't wash. He obviously values the CL and PL above the two domestic cups, but I think he sets out to do as well as possible in all four competitions.

Maybe he had foreseen what would happen the following season.

The European Cup has always been special for Liverpool and Rafa has rekindled the love affair with the competition. People talk about challenging for the league, well personally I have enjoyed us challenging for the European Cup and winning it on the back of a fourth placed finish.

Yeah he thought he was still going to be in charge the following season and knowing how deluded and paranoid he ended up that is probably true OR his win bonus for the BARE MINIMUM requirement must have been a hell of a wedge.

Yeah he thought he was still going to be in charge the following season and knowing how deluded and paranoid he ended up that is probably true OR his win bonus for the BARE MINIMUM requirement must have been a hell of a wedge.

I remember reading that somewhere when he was let go, couldnt believe it tbh...

The Mancs started calling it 'the mickey mouse' cup back in the mid '90s when they couldn't be arsed with it; it's given loads of good times so I don't know why some of our fans belittle it.

That makes me laugh as the same mancs celebrated winning it wildly in 05-06 against Wigan to save them from going TWO trophyless seasons like we have just done as they lost the FA Cup final the year before when 4 days later we won in Istanbul. Chelsea have a great record also in it the last few years and Mourinho won it twice in three seasons.

Guest TK-421

Or, he cared about the future of the club? I know he did some shit things and the last two seasons were not pleasant, but I don't think he stopped caring.

Another thing to consider is the money factor.

At the end of the day, Spurs winning the LC and coming 11th qualifies them for the UEFA cup, whereas 4th qualifies you for the CL. If you are already behind the big clubs in terms of quality, then you need mega money to come to an even keel with them and challenge for the premier league. Now it's all well and good for Spurs who don't dream of winning the premier league to have their trip to Wembley and win a trophy, getting into Europe in the bargain. However, we want, crave, and are putting our eyes on the big league, in order to do that, we have got to at least match the earnings of the winners as much as we can (that would be to qualify for the most lucrative competitions, and go as far as we can in them) just so we don't fall too behind. We need champions league football every year if we are ever to win the premier league again, but we don't need the league cup. It all boils down to what we want in the future I guess, one year of UEFA cup football will set us back enormously in a challenge on the premier league.

Sad I know, as far as being a fan goes this sort of thing should never come into the equation, but as stated, if we exist to win trophies, then it is better that we get to be in the situation where we can win EVERY trophy, we might have to go barren for a few years before we can do that though.