You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Babel

King Emlyn

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was pretty good yesterday got past Brown with ease a couple of times, if he got the ball more i think it could of been quite profitable. Overall i really like Babel and i think he's gonna explode over the next few seasons, similar to the way Ronaldo and Robinho have and become a top class goal-scoring winger.

He'll be a great player once he discovers some confidence.

An over lapping left back and a quality Number 10 to play behind the strikers will give him that confidence I'm sure!

Its going to be a defining summer for Rafa I feel.

I think he'll become a great player for us. However, it's clear that there a number of aspects of his game that he needs to develop or improve on:

1. Most importantly, I believe he needs a quicker "release", ie. he needs to be able to finish half a second earlier than he's doing now. He often beats the defender in front of him only to be tackled before he gets a proper shot on goal or a useful cross in. In American football, a short release time is vital when the quarterback throws the ball and therefore it's a thing young quarterbacks are constantly told to improve on. I think Babel faces the same challenge. Imagine how many more goals or succesful crosses he'll be able to make if he did things a little quicker. It's clearly something that can be worked on in training which is positive.

2. He needs to work on the mental aspects of his game. He seems short of confidence but hopefully that will come as he becomes more mature and settled. Althoug I can never see him become an agressive player, I wish he could show a little more "fire in the belly" and determination. That combined with his other attributes would really make him an intimidating player.

3. He has to become more consistent and improve on making the "simple" things right like "easy" passes and controlling of the ball.

Fingers crossed. :yes:

His only problems are in his head.

Thats it in a nutshell....the boy has talent to burn and is physically awesome. Decison making is poor as sometimes he tries to do too much and other time picks an easy pass when running at the full back is the better option. There is however something in his demeanor that makes me a little uneasy....just a little to disinterested when things arent going to well, if rafa can get his mentality right this boy will be unstoppable. The way he skinned brown in the first half showed merely a glimpse of what he can do

I understand and agree with pretty much all of the points being placed here.

I think we need to understand (and i think we can all agree) that he is still a young footballer with his entire career in front of him. The final ball, the confidence etc etc are things I think he will develop over time. He's played 41 games for us. Lets remember that

I like the lad although i think we could get more out of him in a more central position playing off Torres imagine an attacking quartet next season of Torres Babel Gerrard and a world class winger.....

Although Pires was a right footed player who did an excellent job on the left the key was his excellent link up play with Cole and Henry so under the circumstances with the support he has had hes done well.....

He has potential but his biggest problem is his decision making at crucial points in matches. If he can sort that out then he'll improve.

I agree that his decision making needs to improve Jules, but I think his consistency at beating a man is a bigger priority.

I agree that his decision making needs to improve Jules, but I think his consistency at beating a man is a bigger priority.

at least he tries to take them on, who else in our team attempts to beat a player one on one?

to be honest I don't know why he tries to beat players for skill with his raw pace pace he should be booting the ball ahead of them and then roasting them for pace.

at least he tries to take them on, who else in our team attempts to beat a player one on one?

to be honest I don't know why he tries to beat players for skill with his raw pace pace he should be booting the ball ahead of them and then roasting them for pace.

Why so overly defensive about him? My point wasn't especially critical; it was just giving my opinion that that particular area is a bigger priority for his development than his decision making. I'm reasonably pleased with him; just not blown away. Hopefully, given time, I will be.

His overall game was so much better in the game on sunday from touch, running with the ball using his left.

It all look really composed and settled his brain was clicking with his feet which was great to see.

ManU doubled up on him time after time even three at one point, and he still managed to achieve space and time.

He hasnt faced the quality of the premier league in terms of defending so every game is a lurning curve.

When he went passed brown it looked natural and that is a sign that we are helping his development.

Thats the only thing that has ever worried me, just like torres we would curve their development and make them complete shit.

That isnt the case both are developing into players with a great deal of skill technique and vission.

are biggest problem is balance we havent got that extra player with pace to stretch the other full back babel, torres and gerrard and having to work with very central defenders and kuyt cant stretch the other defenders across the line.

When we have another player with pace and the ilk of Torres and Babel we will fair much better.

Also when we have full backs and a centled defence Manu wont look half as freatening we made them look fantastic at times better players wouldnt allow that.

One thing I have noticed about Babel is that he doesn't seem to possess 'soft feet' - what I mean is that when the ball is played to him - particularly along the floor - his first touch tends to be heavy, and the ball sometimes gets away from him. It's something I've seen often with him this season, and it's a bit frustrating that he hasn't conquered this yet.

One thing I have noticed about Babel is that he doesn't seem to possess 'soft feet' - what I mean is that when the ball is played to him - particularly along the floor - his first touch tends to be heavy, and the ball sometimes gets away from him. It's something I've seen often with him this season, and it's a bit frustrating that he hasn't conquered this yet.

Yeah, that's my overriding worry concerning his potential. It's his first touch.

He's 20 years old playing his first season in a foreign country.

Someone bump this thread next season when we can justify a debate.

Fuck sake, the list of talent that didn't set the premiership alight in their first season is endless. Give him a chance for god sake

Why so overly defensive about him? My point wasn't especially critical; it was just giving my opinion that that particular area is a bigger priority for his development than his decision making. I'm reasonably pleased with him; just not blown away. Hopefully, given time, I will be.

I'm defending him because he is black dontcha know :whatever:

seriously, I'm on the fence with regards to babel he has the skill to be a major hit but enough flaws in his game to see him fail.