You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

DIC: takeover thread

Ring of Fire

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillett wouldn't be so stupid as to agree to 'not selling without Hick's consent'. And nor would Hick's - as it would work both ways and at that point they could not have forseen what was going to happen. They would have an option to buy each other's shares for a set price - however we can't know under what conditons these are under. I'll go on the companies house website tomorrow and see what information I can find on the share structure. In practice though if DIC offer more than Hicks per share I can't see how he can block it without meeting DIC's offer.

There's no time for your coat, man- just go!

it was a lame effort I know.

I'm seriously worried that we are gonna end up with this cuntfuck hicks controlling us though, they should have kidnapped the fuckers son in the sandon and kept him there until he'd agreed to sell up.

he's trying to fix it by bringing on board one of his buddy's I bet : ((((((((((((((((((

That is what I have feared most lately. This is a saga that has no good news.

IF the shitbag manage to stop DIC from buying into the club, I think it is time for us fans to start using more extrem methods against this cunt.

Yep, I really dont get where all the optimism about Hicks being willing to sell comes from.

Agree with that. The RBS loan was signed off, he isn't risking any of his own money, the reasons he wanted in to begin with (the profits of future TV rights deals and the stadium) are still there. Why was he supposed to be selling up again?

Problems pile up for Liverpool as owners’ rift deepens

James Ducker

Tom Hicks’s troubled relationship with George Gillett Jr turned ugly yesterday when the Liverpool co-owner threatened to block any attempts by his business partner to sell his 50 per cent stake in the Barclays Premier League club.

Dubai International Capital (DIC) remains committed to buying Gillett’s stake in the first phase of its quest to take control at Anfield, but Hicks claimed that his fellow American is answerable to him and cannot sell without obtaining his permission.

Hicks’s outburst is the first public indication of the extent of the breakdown in his relationship with Gillett and came on another turbulent day for Liverpool, during which Jamie Carragher was arrested and cautioned for common assault and Rafael BenÍtez, the manager, backed Steven Gerrard’s withering assessment of the club’s failings on and off the pitch.

“Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval,” Hicks said. “So I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that.”

Gillett has been seeking an exit strategy since his relationship with Hicks became untenable after a series of run-ins, but while he may be bound by an agreement to offer his stake to his partner before any other potential buyer, it is thought unlikely that Hicks would want to acquire Gillett’s half-share of the club.

Contrary to Hicks’s repeated claims that he does not want to sell, discussions between him and DIC are continuing and although he intends to retain some of his shares and influence in the short term, the Texan, along with Gillett, is willing to grant the private-equity investment arm of the Dubai Government access to Liverpool’s accounts, with a view to a possible takeover bid next month.

Gerrard hit out this week at the “damaging” rifts at boardroom level and the Liverpool captain’s remarks are clearly shared by BenÍtez, even if the manager was careful not to antagonise the Americans, with whom he has endured a difficult relationship.

BenÍtez sympathises with Gerrard’s frustration at Liverpool’s continuing inability to mount a credible title charge. “Everyone at Liverpool shares Steven’s sentiments, there is no question about that,” the Spaniard said. “We wanted to be further up the table and the fact that we are not is a disappointment to everyone. But the important thing now is to concentrate on what we can still do.

“We are still in the Champions League and our record in that competition is one that most other clubs would envy. And we are still confident of finishing in the top four, which would obviously mean we would qualify for next season’s Champions League again.”

Carragher’s brush with the law was another headline that the club could have done without. The former England defender was questioned by police yesterday after a roadside confrontation with a man near his home in Crosby on Tuesday morning. Carragher, 30, had been on his way to training at the club’s Melwood headquarters at the time.

The incident was reported to Merseyside Police by a witness who saw Carragher arguing with the man, who also reported the incident to officers. The defender was called in for an interview and accepted a caution, which is an admission of guilt. A spokesman for Liverpool declined to comment.

Problems pile up for Liverpool as owners’ rift deepens | Liverpool - Times Online

“Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval,” Hicks said. “So I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that.”

You know how smug you felt when you said that Tom? Just make sure you remember it when we're kicking your fat bloodsucking arse out of our club, won't you? Your clichéd Texan ego is boring me.

Nightmare Scenario

Hicks: I'll buy Anfield outright

By David Maddock 29/02/2008

Tom Hicks is on the verge of a bid to take full control of Liverpool.

The Texan tycoon yesterday revealed he has power of veto to prevent co-owner George Gillett from selling his 50 per cent stake to Arab investment company DIC.

And Hicks hinted strongly that in blocking such a move, he will instead try to persuade his fellow American - who wants out of Anfield - to sell up to his company Hicks Holdings.

"Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval," said the billionaire. "So, I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that."

Hicks' revelations will dismay a large section of the Liverpool support, who don't trust the Americans and their financial strategies.

There is also anger the US owners tried to persuade Jurgen Klinsmann to take over as manager.

But Hicks hopes to make it clear that it was Gillett that made the running over Klinsmann, and in recent months he has put his full support behind Spanish boss Rafa Benitez.

Hicks may struggle to find the £150million that it will cost to buy out Gillett, but he has been in talks with powerful American businessmen recently, including close contacts of President George W. Bush.

It is clear his relationship with Gillett has broken down and now Hicks wants his partner out of the way.

He has already set aside £50million to give to the manager to spend on new players, and plans to begin work this summer on a state-of-the-art 72,000-capacity stadium.

It seems he is edging closer to making a bid for full control, after revealing he has been working on the situation for the past few weeks.

"For a lot of reasons I can't discuss, I haven't been able to fix it yet. But I am preparing to be in a position to fix it," he told the influential Texas newspaper the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

We seem to take 1 step forward and 10 steps back with this whole fucking saga. I just simply cant believe someone can be as selfish as Hicks, he knows there is no viable way he can finance the club long term yet he still insists on hanging around. At least Gillett (seemingly) has the sense to write this trainwreck off and leave before things get even worse, But Hicks doesn't give a shit about the clubs long-term future and would sleep like a baby tomorrow if the club went bust.

we could say it was friendly fire.

I'll get me coat.

No one would believe friendly fire coming from our side to a yank - it's always the other way round, silly :whistle:

Cos when those marines need to kill something and whoop a lot - then fuck us :whoops:

Latest from a guy who posts on another football forum - Dmjn100.

No idea if he has inside knowledge or not but i know he has posted a few times and seems pretty clued up.

Hello,

Well it seems as if Tom Hicks has finally now admitted George Gillett is in advanced negotiations with Dubai International Capital.

Word was on Tuesday - there would be a big announcement made regarding Gillett’s shares within 10 days.

Well yesterday Tom Hicks confirmed that negotiations have been on-going with his 'partner' & DIC officials.

The relationship between the American pair has completely & utterly broken down.

Some press are saying that Dubai International Capital are ready to bid for Gillett's shares, but my understanding is, talks have been ongoing for months & the OFFER WAS MADE weeks ago.

I also understand that Gillett has agreed to sell his shares to DIC, which in turn prompted this response from Hicks.

Tom Hicks:

"Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval. “

"So I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that."

"For a lot of reasons I can't discuss, I haven't been able to fix it yet. But I am preparing to be in a position to fix it."

Now I understand that last sentence to mean he is desperately trying to find a backer who is willing to stump up the required money that would enable Hicks to buy Gillett's shares.

But this will not happen.

Like I said sometime ago - Gillett has given his word to Dubai International Capital, headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who is now personally involved with negotiations, they can buy his shares & everything is in place.

Gillett will not sell his half to Hicks.

Gillett is said to be furious that Hicks has ruined his what seems like a genuine wish to do good things at Liverpool.

Before Foster Gillett left Liverpool, he let it be known to some within Anfield that none of what was happening was down to his father or his family.

Further more George Gillett has spoken with Rafael Benitez, Mr. Moore's & Rick Parry several times in the last 2 months to let them know exactly where things stand with all that going on at the moment.

From what I hear - George Gillett is quite a decent guy who has been railroaded into making decisions he didn’t want to take, but such is his intense disliking of Tom Hicks & the fact things are now beyond repair, Gillett see’s getting out of Liverpool whilst making a tidy profit a good plan & who could blame the guy?

Dmjn100