You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

100 Greatest Albums

cochcaer

Only caught the start and end as I flicked over to watch the Heysel doc but once again Radiohead topped the lot with some dirge and a broken PC. :smile:

Being the more contemorary the likes of Radiohead, Oasis and Nirvana will fall away a bit whislst other top tenners like the Beatles and Floyd have stood the test of time.

Anyone got the fulll 100 list?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only caught the start and end as I flicked over to watch the Heysel doc but once again Radiohead topped the lot with some dirge and a broken PC. :smile:

Being the more contemorary the likes of Radiohead, Oasis and Nirvana will fall away a bit whislst other top tenners like the Beatles and Floyd have stood the test of time.

Anyone got the fulll 100 list?

I don't think Oasis or Nirvana will fall away over time. Oasis changed the face of british music in the 90's when the top british band before the excellent 'Definitely Maybe' was Suede which says it all about the state of British music at that time. 'Definitely Maybe' was a wake up call for British music.

Nirvana's 'Nevermind' was another masterpiece that influenced millions and they along with Oasis will still be remembered in 30 odd years time.

I was fucking astounded Radiohead got the no1 best album. Thom Yorke is a miserable student boy git with shit music. FACT.

I don't think Oasis or Nirvana will fall away over time. Oasis changed the face of british music in the 90's when the top british band before the excellent 'Definitely Maybe' was Suede which says it all about the state of British music at that time. 'Definitely Maybe' was a wake up call for British music.

Nirvana's 'Nevermind' was another masterpiece that influenced millions and they along with Oasis will still be remembered in 30 odd years time.

I was fucking astounded Radiohead got the no1 best album. Thom Yorke is a miserable student boy git with shit music. FACT.

I stopped watching when Robbie Williams was ahead of The Human League, Dexys and Blondie. Scandalous. Still, record companies must have had a big hand in it and that. It's funny, but the post-punk era is only recently getting the credit it was due. Beautiful working class boys with an agenda to make the public sit up and take notice - the ABC's, Talking Heads, Human League, stunning stuff.

I'd rather chop off me big toe than listen to Radiohead or Coldplay. It's like "what the fuck are you whining about". Actually, maybe a tad harsh on Radiohead, but Chris Martin can certainly fuck off.

You're all bonkers. OK Computer fucking rules. Q magazine readers voted it "the greatest album of all time" in 2000, now channel four viewers have done likewise. I think VH1 had "The Joshua Tree" at the top spot in their vote, for some reason. Not really sure how an 8 year old album is considered "contemporary" though, likewise Nevermind is 14 years old and Definitely Maybe is 11 years old. Oasis were OK in the beginning, but have basically spent an entire decade ripping other better bands off, ie The Beatles and The Sex Pistols. Good to see The Floyd in there at number 5 or whatever it was, but again Dark Side is not their best album, Animals is.

Have to say i too was astounded that Radiohead were number one, as being a public vote i expected fucking Robbie Williams or The Streets or some other shite to top it. At least channel 4 viewers appear to have a bit of taste. I think i actually owned about 8 of the top 10, which was nice...

Do you reckon you lot might just be getting old? With so much music being played on TV and radio things are different today. Years ago if you wanted to listen to music you had to pretty much buy it or borrow it off someone, either way it was your choice. Now we're constantly bombarded with it.

If football programs, and everything else on the planet, were always accompanied with soundtracks from whatever music was around at the time, ad nauseum, just as it is today everyone would be just as pissed off with the beatles, the stones, pink floyd and everything else from eras gone by that gets consistent praise. If radio stations forcefed them to you like is done today you'd be as pissed off hearing them as you are now with coldplay, et al. FACT.

Do you reckon you lot might just be getting old? With so much music being played on TV and radio things are different today. Years ago if you wanted to listen to music you had to pretty much buy it or borrow it off someone, either way it was your choice. Now we're constantly bombarded with it.

If football programs, and everything else on the planet, were always accompanied with soundtracks from whatever music was around at the time, ad nauseum, just as it is today everyone would be just as pissed off with the beatles, the stones, pink floyd and everything else from eras gone by that gets consistent praise. If radio stations forcefed them to you like is done today you'd be as pissed off hearing them as you are now with coldplay, et al. FACT.

You're wrong. The older I've got the more I've wanted to find in music. I could listen to the stones, beatles all day as there was a need for their message and a purity that is timeless. I swear to the likes of Chris Martin it's about a career in music, he don't have no real need to speak to the people. He's a whining middle class gobshite making records for whining middle class gobshites and indie kids with no soul.

Music and clothes and sex and drugs and adventure.

Not some plinky piano write for Embrace trad crap.

RADIOHEAD - OK Computer

U2 - The Joshua Tree

NIRVANA - Nevermind

MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller

PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon

OASIS - Definitely Maybe

THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

MADONNA - Like a Prayer

GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

THE BEATLES - Revolver

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

THE BEATLES - The White Album

QUEEN - A Night at the Opera

COLDPLAY - Parachutes

OASIS - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

ALANIS MORISSETTE - Jagged Little Pill

LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin IV

THE VERVE - Urban Hymns

JIMI HENDRIX - Are you Experienced

THE SMITHS - The Queen Is Dead

JOHN LENNON - Imagine

RADIOHEAD - The Bends

BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS - Exodus

THE STONE ROSES - The Stone Roses

SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - Bridge Over Troubled Water

BJORK - Debut

THE DOORS - The Doors

ABBA - Arrival

MICHAEL JACKSON - Off the Wall

DURAN DURAN - Rio

SEX PISTOLS - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols

DAVID BOWIE - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds

JOY DIVISION - Closer

THE ROLLING STONES - Let It Bleed

BLUR - Parklife

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born to Run

BILLIE HOLIDAY - Lady Sings the Blues

THE WHITE STRIPES - Elephant

BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid

THE SPECIALS - Specials

THE ROLLING STONES - Exile on Main Street

FRANK SINATRA - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!

THE CLASH - London Calling

THE PRODIGY - The Fat of the Land

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground and Nico

DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms

PIXIES - Doolittle

ARETHA FRANKLIN - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

THE LIBERTINES - The Libertines

HAPPY MONDAYS - Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches

PATTI SMITH - Horses

THE WHO - Tommy

LOU REED - Transformer

BOB DYLAN - Blood on the Tracks

PRINCE - Sign 'o' the Times

DIDO - No Angel

AIR - Moon Safari

ELTON JOHN - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

THE JAM - All Mod Cons

JEFF BUCKLEY - Grace

FLEETWOOD MAC - Rumours

MOBY - Play

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

THE POLICE - Synchronicity

JONI MITCHELL - Blue

CURTIS MAYFIELD - Superfly

ELVIS PRESLEY - The Sun Sessions

OUTKAST - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

PULP - Different Class

KRAFTWERK - Trans-Europe Express

MASSIVE ATTACK - Blue Lines

BECK - Odelay

STEVIE WONDER - Songs in the Key of Life

KATE BUSH - Hounds of Love

TALKING HEADS - Fear of Music

EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP

MARVIN GAYE - What's Going On

GEORGE MICHAEL - Faith

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - The Original Movie Soundtrack

PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica

JOHN COLTRANE - A Love Supreme

LOVE - Forever Changes

PAUL SIMON - Graceland

NICK DRAKE - Five Leaves Left

MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell

DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Dusty in Memphis

DE LA SOUL - 3 Feet High and Rising

THE STROKES - Is this It

MADNESS - One Step Beyond...

ROBBIE WILLIAMS - I've Been Expecting You

NEIL YOUNG - After the Gold Rush

PUBLIC ENEMY - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

BLONDIE - Parallel Lines

THE EAGLES - Hotel California

JAMES BROWN - Sex Machine

THE STREETS - A Grand Don't Come for Free

DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

ROD STEWART - Every Picture Tells a Story

The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

You're all bonkers. OK Computer fucking rules. Q magazine readers voted it "the greatest album of all time" in 2000, now channel four viewers have done likewise. I think VH1 had "The Joshua Tree" at the top spot in their vote, for some reason. Not really sure how an 8 year old album is considered "contemporary" though, likewise Nevermind is 14 years old and Definitely Maybe is 11 years old. Oasis were OK in the beginning, but have basically spent an entire decade ripping other better bands off, ie The Beatles and The Sex Pistols. Good to see The Floyd in there at number 5 or whatever it was, but again Dark Side is not their best album, Animals is.

Have to say i too was astounded that Radiohead were number one, as being a public vote i expected fucking Robbie Williams or The Streets or some other shite to top it. At least channel 4 viewers appear to have a bit of taste. I think i actually owned about 8 of the top 10, which was nice...

Some Sanity at Last - Well Said TL

OK computer absoloutly rocks -Ironoically tho ,Pablo Honey and The bends are far better albums .Am slightly diossapointed that The Joshua tree wasn't number 1 but Radiohead is more than adequat substitute -Delighted My Fav album is still there ,31 years after its initial release Go on the Floyd

VH1 voted The Joshua tree number 1 and the Bends number 2....Its just so refreshing to see something like this not spoiled by gazilions of little shits voting for the spice tarts or the likes

I own:

RADIOHEAD - OK Computer

NIRVANA - Nevermind

MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller

GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

THE SMITHS - The Queen Is Dead

RADIOHEAD - The Bends

THE STONE ROSES - The Stone Roses

MICHAEL JACKSON - Off the Wall

DURAN DURAN - Rio

SEX PISTOLS - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols

THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds

JOY DIVISION - Closer

BLUR - Parklife

THE SPECIALS - Specials

THE CLASH - London Calling

THE PRODIGY - The Fat of the Land

HAPPY MONDAYS - Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches

THE JAM - All Mod Cons

OUTKAST - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

PULP - Different Class

TALKING HEADS - Fear of Music

EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP

MARVIN GAYE - What's Going On

PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica

LOVE - Forever Changes

DE LA SOUL - 3 Feet High and Rising

THE STROKES - Is this It

MADNESS - One Step Beyond...

PUBLIC ENEMY - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

BLONDIE - Parallel Lines

JAMES BROWN - Sex Machine

DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

Fucking Oasis above ANY Beatles album is a disgrace.

It's like saying a fake Rolex is better than a proper one. One is just a cheap imitation, the other is the best of the best.

Oasis are but a piece of turd on The Beatles' shoe.

Fucking Oasis above ANY Beatles album is a disgrace.

It's like saying a fake Rolex is better than a proper one. One is just a cheap imitation, the other is the best of the best.

Oasis are but a piece of turd on The Beatles' shoe.

The Beatles turfed out some shite though Tom, it is a total myth that EVERYTHING they done changed peoples lives etc.

I LOVE Oasis and a record like Definitely Maybe is one to be proud of especially as a debut album. Okay albums 3 and 4 weren't up to scratch but they still had some modern day classics on them.

Can anyone think of a single female artist or female band who they like? I can't. It's official, women are crap at music.

Maria Topley Bird

Erika Badu

Dionne Warwick

Aretha Franklin

Mary J Blige

Kathryn Williams

Joni Mitchell

Janice Joplin

Lucious Jackson

Tracy Chapman.....and the list goes on.

Why is it that so many people feel that if you come from a middle class background then you can't do melancholic music? What the fuck, so they should do happy-happy pointless pop then, or possibly some shit electronica perhaps? Chris Martin, although musicaly nowhere near the level of Yorke, writes songs with emotion and has something to say.

"ooh look at him talking about being sad and moaning about fair trade" you say. get a fucking grip people. I can't remember an artist who has sold so many albums ever taking himself less seriously than Martin. he takes the piss out of himself at the NME awards, he takes the piss out of himself on the "Shaun of the dead" DVD, give the man a break. If you don't like his music then fair enough, I personally think the first album is a good record that has suffered from over-exposure and a typical build them up knock them down attitude in this country.

As for Yorke, anyone who can't see that OK Computer is as good a record as any ever made should just sell thier ears because they'd be better off with the few quid they might get for them. The man is a genius and it makes me laugh that some people are claiming the likes of Oasis and Nirvana will outlast Radiohead. In 60 years time that record will just seem even better because it is so unique and creative, not some next stage project on earlier work by other bands, step forward the beatles and the pixies/ramones and collect your awards from the masses.

Democracy is flawed but the right winner came out last night.

p.s. Tom , the early beatles were about as good as Blue are, Definitely Maybe pisses all over the early stuff.

Maria Topley Bird

Erika Badu

Dionne Warwick

Aretha Franklin

Mary J Blige

Kathryn Williams

Joni Mitchell

Janice Joplin

Lucious Jackson

Tracy Chapman.....and the list goes on.

Why is it that so many people feel that if you come from a middle class background then you can't do melancholic music? What the fuck, so they should do happy-happy pointless pop then, or possibly some shit electronica perhaps? Chris Martin, although musicaly nowhere near the level of Yorke, writes songs with emotion and has something to say.

"ooh look at him talking about being sad and moaning about fair trade" you say. get a fucking grip people. I can't remember an artist who has sold so many albums ever taking himself less seriously than Martin. he takes the piss out of himself at the NME awards, he takes the piss out of himself on the "Shaun of the dead" DVD, give the man a break. If you don't like his music then fair enough, I personally think the first album is a good record that has suffered from over-exposure and a typical build them up knock them down attitude in this country.

As for Yorke, anyone who can't see that OK Computer is as good a record as any ever made should just sell thier ears because they'd be better off with the few quid they might get for them. The man is a genius and it makes me laugh that some people are claiming the likes of Oasis and Nirvana will outlast Radiohead. In 60 years time that record will just seem even better because it is so unique and creative, not some next stage project on earlier work by other bands, step forward the beatles and the pixies/ramones and collect your awards from the masses.

Democracy is flawed but the right winner came out last night.

p.s. Tom , the early beatles were about as good as Blue are, Definitely Maybe pisses all over the early stuff.

Middle class are we Stu? :smile:

Middle class are we Stu? :smile:

I'm classless (no laughing at the back). And i see other people that way too.

Yorke has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Pity you can't see it because his music takes me to another planet...fucking ace.

You and John both smell of wee. So there.

I can see the merit in Radiohead's music, it's just that it's not my thing. Coldplay, if they did some songs that weren't downbeat then I'd probably like them. I'm with you on Parachutes but when they realesed their second album I realised that was all they could do and they lost their appeal. The same thing strikes me Radiohead, though I admit Radiohead are infinitely better than Coldplay. If Radiohead did anything other than morose I might like them.

Women who do brilliant music? Alison Goldfrapp and her voice is more beautiful than Tom Yorke's.