You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Authorities seek to move "high risk" Carabao Cup final to a earlier kick-off time

TLW

image.jpeg

The Metropolitan Police have requested that the Carabao Cup Final between Liverpool and Chelsea on the 25th of February be moved forward to an earlier timeslot due from its current 4:30pm timeslot due to it sitting in the ‘high risk’ category.

The two teams met in a couple of showcase finals two years ago with the Carabao Cup final kicking off at 4:30pm while the FA Cup final kicked off 15 minutes later.

image.jpeg

The Met released a statement (per the Echo) which outlined the process.

“Preparations for the EFL Cup policing operation are underway following the conclusion of the two semi-finals and we are working with partners including the Wembley Stadium, local authority and EFL on agreeing the kick off time.

“Our partners are aware this match qualifies as a ‘high-risk’ fixture and in accordance with national guidance from the UK Football Policing Unit, this fixture should kick off no later than 3pm.”

It is thought that the EFL were initially standing by their preference for a 4:30pm kick off due to their contract with Sky Sports, but sources on both sides have indicated that a compromise is likely with the game being brought forward.

image.jpeg

It also has to be noted that when Liverpool and Chelsea met in the two cup finals that no major disturbances were reported, but on a wider scale, incidents are said to be up in the last few years which has led to the more conservative approach in these matters.

There is a recent precedent for authorities requesting a showcase fixture to be moved from its proposed kick-off time with last years FA Cup final between the two Manchester clubs being moved to a 3pm kick-off, the first time it had been in that timeslot since 2011.

And Liverpool’s clash with City at the Etihad Stadium on November 25th was switched from a 5:30pm KO to a 12:30pm start due to objections from Greater Manchester Police citing previous incidents between the two sets of fans.

View full article

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Not a fan of football violence but this was nice to see. Gobshite 

Can always tell who's an actual fart as they're usually the mouthiest. Still quite risky flattening someone outside, always the risk they'll twat their head on the floor or something.

46 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

CCTV will catch the offender too.

Yeah it's not worth it. Seriously hurting someone or getting arrested, losing your job etc. I just wouldn't get invokced now unless I genuinely felt threatened maybe.

19 hours ago, TheSire said:

Yeah it's not worth it. Seriously hurting someone or getting arrested, losing your job etc. I just wouldn't get invokced now unless I genuinely felt threatened maybe.

If you felt threatened you would have a genuine defence. I am not sure that could be the case here.

22 hours ago, TheSire said:

Someone close to me was sucker punched after a game up here, he was in hospital for days after cracking his head on the ground & the boy who done it ended up inside for a year.

Everything is on camera now so seriously not worth it.

• Upvote 1

The earlier KO time would be a pain in the arse for me as I'll miss the first half I think but would it not be better for those travelling down from Liverpool, in terms of getting trains etc. up the road?

I understand that a later kick-off time might be more suitable for fans trying to get to Wembley, but I also know that it makes it a bastard to get away afterwards. Not only with the last trains etc leaving earlier than is suitable, but because Wembley itself is a bastard to get to, and even worse to get away from regardless of kick-off time.

I think cup final kick-offs (and the FA Cup semis, since they insist on hosting those too) should be at 3:00pm, not because of tradition, but because of how long is needed afterwards to disperse a 90000 crowd. If a game goes to extra time and pens, and there are countless VAR interventions, and fans of the winning team stick around to celebrate for a while, you are looking at 6:30-7:00pm at the earliest before 40000-odd leave the ground.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Someone close to me was sucker punched after a game up here, he was in hospital for days after cracking his head on the ground & the boy who done it ended up inside for a year.

Everything is on camera now so seriously not worth it.

Plus these days you don't know if some scruff is carrying a knife.

Quite ironic. If you treat politics as if it's all about picking a team to support, you can do what the hell you like in London. If you just support a football team, you're a high risk. 'It's a funny old world, Saint'.