You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tonight, the most important match ever?

JustTosh

We’ve lost Owen. We all know now we’re going to loose Gerrard. If we fail to qualify tonight we loose a lot of money. Money is needed to fill the gaps and to build a new strong team.

This could happen: Rafa realises that the club can’t afford to give him the necessary financial backing to achieve his ambitions with us. After a lousy season Real Madrid wants Rafa to be their manager. He accepts and brings Alonso with him. Then we’d be really fucked.

We simply must win tonight!

We’ve lost Owen. We all know now we’re going to loose Gerrard. If we fail to qualify tonight we loose a lot of money. Money is needed to fill the gaps and to build a new strong team.

This could happen: Rafa realises that the club can’t afford to give him the necessary financial backing to achieve his ambitions with us. After a lousy season Real Madrid wants Rafa to be their manager. He accepts and brings Alonso with him. Then we’d be really fucked.

We simply must win tonight!

Hold your horses pal....

This could also happen... we lose... go on to win the uefa cup... Morale gets higher...confidence increases... players gets adapted to new system... Real M win the league in Spain...

And yet another scenario......a meteor hits the face of the earth and we all goes extinct...

The game is important but it`s not that black and white....

Yes, we desperately need to win. And I think we will. I'm uncertain about the team, I think Igor might have gotten a game had he been fit. I'd go for:

------------Kirkland

Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Traore

-------------Alonso

---Nunez-Gerrard-Kewell

---------Baros-Mellor

And don't give Olympiakos a second on the ball! They are shite away from home in the CL (0-4-20) so we just have to do our job. They will crack under pressure.

Can see what you are saying, but cant see madrid coming for rafa, they like quiet managers who will do what perez or whoever wants! thats why capello did one supposedly!

I'm too super pesimistic I know. Must be my mood I guess after some reading this morning. I hope you’re right. If it were to happen though, I fear we’d be stuck at midtable along with shit like Spurs for years to come.

Your assurance that Rafa’s not a man RM wants, somehow doesn’t comfort me much. If they come for him, we can only hope Rafa turns them down. After all he’s an ambitious man who would probably hate to give up his task after only one season. Besides, the sale of Gerrard will give him a lot of money to continue his rebuilding job.

Tonight is very important nevertheless.

Hold your horses pal....

This could also happen... we lose... go on to win the uefa cup... Morale gets higher...confidence increases... players gets adapted to new system... Real M win the league in Spain...

And yet another scenario......a meteor hits the face of the earth and we all goes extinct...

The game is important but it`s not that black and white....

Pshcyo killer qu'est que ce fafa fafa fa fafa fafa fa fa

Run run run run away.....fa fa fa fa fafa fa fafa fa fafa

Agree with Rushian. Used to think it was vital, but is it? really? What is the most we get out of it. Two games? Four if we are lucky.

Gerrard is off anyhow. Concentrate on the League, play the youngsters in the League Cup, hope for a good FA Cup run...

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know EXACTLY what the difference in income would be if we qualify tonight and then go out in the next round? How much money would we have made compared to going out in the next round of the UEFA Cup?

Are we talking £5m or £50m?

It's a good thing you're not the boss then, because it would be very stupid not to play Gerrard tonight.

is it though?

By NOT playing him we'd probably (admittedly) get beat, which means that he'd no doubt would spit his dummy out and leave us, which in turn means we'd get a hell of a lot more cash more money than we would for playing another game or two in the Shit League.

Stick him the fucking reserves until January.

Captain?? you;re having a fucking laugh, Steven.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what the difference in income would be if we qualify tonight and then go out in the next round? How much money would we have made compared to going out in the next round of the UEFA Cup?

Are we talking £5m or £50m?

The figure most often quoted is £5M. But the most important thing for me is the lift it would mean to the club, both in the long run (the games until the cup rounds start in the end of February) and short run (the derby).

By the time we get there, the team will be stronger and several players will be back form injury. In my opinion we can get to the final.

is it though?

By NOT playing him we'd probably (admittedly) get beat, which means that he'd no doubt would spit his dummy out and leave us, which in turn means we'd get a hell of a lot more cash more money than we would for playing another game or two in the Shit League.

Stick him the fucking reserves until January.

Captain?? you;re having a fucking laugh, Steven.

If you want rid of Gerrard, sell him in the summer. We need him in this years CL, and we need him to qualify for next year's. Both generate substantial amounts of income for the club, on top the fee we get for Gerrard. And his fee won't be higher in January than it will be in June.

To me it's a win-win situation to keep him this season.

This game is not only about cash... If we are to attract class players, we need to show that we belong amongst the great teams in Europe. We should play our strongest team, beat Olympiakos and deal with transfers when the time is right!

Rafa is no fool. If Gerrard decides he wants to go, he will be sold. But as long as he performs on the field he should be picked. His performances since his return has been very good and very committed.

I'd be so proud of Rafa if he dropped Gerrard I would quite possibly burst all over the Kop.

Even if we went out tonight we would still have our pride intact. However the boost it would give to the fans and players alike seeing our club is in fact not being run by its captain would surely see us run out comfortable winners!

Come on rafa, drop the twat

If I was the boss Steven Gerrard would never play another game for Liverpool Football Club. Ever.

Tom, I agree that Stevie is holding a gun to the club's head. His comments and the timing of them make it clear he sees 2 scenarios here. - If we dont qualify tonight he's off. If we do qualify he might stay.

But I'd rather see Rafa impose an alternative scenario on Stevie - qualify and sell him.

Play him tonight. (Let's be honest we're a better team with him at this moment) and make sure we qualify. Rafa can take him to one side tomorrow and tell him he's a disgrace to the shirt and rather than training he'd be better off visiting his agent cos he'll never play for Liverpool again.

Carra will lift no 19 aloft. It will happen. Whether we win tonight or not.