You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cody Gakpo - Player Analysis 

TLW

After an incredibly difficult start to the new campaign, the Reds are finally starting to display some of that characteristic consistency that has made the club so successful during the Jurgen Klopp era and there is some blue sky starting to break away from the clouds.

While there is plenty of hard work and improvement to be done in the second half of the season to clinch Champions League qualification, with the winning mentality that this squad has ingrained in them, you certainly would not back against them to achieve the main goal.

And what better way to celebrate the turn of a new year than a shiny new signing and one that came completely out of the blue just after Christmas Day when it was announced that the club had signed Cody Gakpo from PSV.

The 23 year-old winger has become a household name in the Netherlands for his outstanding performances on a consistent basis.

The World Cup gave him more exposure and he did not let the opportunity go to waste scoring three goals generally looking like he belonged on the big stage.

While YouTube clips give you an insight, they do not tell the whole story. There is nothing like getting an insight from someone who has followed the progress of a player first hand.

Jelle Schrans is someone that fits that definition, a big PSV (and Liverpool) fan, he has provided analysis on what Reds fans can expect to see and what Cody can work on to moving to another level.

1_MAIN-Cody-Gakpo-signs-for-Liverpool.jpeg

Cody usually plays as a left winger, but he has played as a striker at PSV a few times and has played as a striker in every game he played at the World Cup. I'd say playing as a left-winger suits him better. From there he can cut inside and shoot. He is very good in a 1 on 1 with a defender, and he is able to get out of tight spaces pretty easily. He is a very good finisher, which does make him pretty suitable for playing as a striker as well. 

When cutting inside, sometimes he chooses to cross the ball into the box. With a striker who is good at heading (which PSV have with Luuk de Jong) he can create a lot of big chances for these strikers or other teammates, which, at PSV, has resulted in goals most of the time.

Cody_Gakpo_PSV_2022-23.jpeg

An example of this is the two away games against Ajax this season. In the first game, the Dutch Super Cup, Cody got two assists and a goal. He got those assists in the same fashion like I described above. Cutting inside, crossing the ball into the box and it resulted in a goal. PSV managed to turn the game around before half time going from 1-0 down to 2-1 up thanks to two moments of brilliance from Cody. PSV managed to win 5-3 in the end and Cody scored a goal as well. 

In the second game, which was a league game, he did exactly the same thing. This time Luuk de Jong managed to score and only had to tap the ball into the net thanks to a great assist from Cody. It clearly seemed to cause chaos in the Ajax defence like it does to other defences. PSV won the game 2-1 which is crucial for the title race.

These two games are just two examples to show that Cody is a big game player. There has been a level of criticism that says he hasn’t been that in the past. However this season in particular both with PSV and the national team has shown that he steps up to the mark when his team needs him the most.

0_GettyImages-1245355478.jpeg

To sum up his attributes, Cody is a winger who likes to cut inside but doesn't always shoot; he also likes to create chances for others.  His pinpoint delivery from crosses have produced many assists and been tough for defenders to deal with. In terms of size, Cody is quite tall which may seem a bit unusual for a winger. And while the physicality of the Premier League takes a bit of getting used to, his size could be a major attribute.

While cutting inside has become a trademark element of his game, it can also be viewed as a weakness as he does it so regularly. Defenders in the Premier League will be alert to this part of his game and he may have to alter it slightly without losing the elements that have made him the player he is.

If I have to name someone Cody reminds me of it is Sadio Mane. Quick with and without the ball on his feet, able to get past defenders easily in a 1 on 1 and has great goalscoring ability. Hopefully Cody is able to adapt to the Premier League as Sadio did.

netherlands-and-liverpool-pair-cody-gakpo-virgil-van-dijk.jpeg

I would say Cody is the brightest star of this Dutch generation under the age of 25. There have been many other players that have transferred abroad, but didn’t seem to really fulfil their potential. An example of this is Steven Bergwijn. PSV sold him for around €30 million to Tottenham, but after a good start he became a benchwarmer and unfortunately did not break through. I am very confident Cody will succeed at Liverpool, especially with a coach like Jurgen Klopp.  Having that kind of figure guiding Cody through the different phases of his career will see him reach his potential.

View full article

• Upvote 2

I am really looking forward to see this lad develop. 

Last season I felt that teams had started to push up on us a bit with Sadio and Mo's pace not being quite what it was. Now, with this lad and Darwin, especially away from home, I could see teams sitting deeper as a result. 

This lad looks likes he has pace and intelligence and alongside Darwin and Mo that could terrify teams while meaning teams cannot mark the other two as heavily. A win-win. 

It may also help our midfield a bit too with teams sitting deeper and ceding possession more instead of going toe to toe with us.

• Upvote 1

Not going to be an issue until March / April to be fair,.

Once all fit ( ha ha ) Abillty to play

Left forward - Diaz, Gakpo, Salah, Jota, Nunez

Central - Firmino, Gakpo, Salah, Nunez, Jota

Right forward - Salah, Gakpo, Diaz, ( Doak )

Plenty of options there, and if the midfield struggles continue we could go 4231 quite easily once Diaz and Jota are back.

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Plenty of options there, and if the midfield struggles continue we could go 4231 quite easily once Diaz and Jota are back.

If we were able to rotate our midfield it wouldnt be half as bad. Unfortunately their absences are almost exclusively down to injury rather than a 'breather.'

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Yeah, in practice your best 11 is rarely ever fit at the same time and even when it is, it doesn't hurt to have players breathing down their necks.

It sounds like they think he can play anywhere across the front 3. Would be great for them to be able to rest Mo from time to time. 

One of the things I like about Gakpo is that inspite of only being 23, he has captained PSV quite a bit.

I don't think you can have too many leaders. Generally they are happy to take responsibility and if you are losing or struggling in a game, having players that will take the initiative/have personality is great 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Still don't quite know how him and Diaz fit the first XI picture.

For me it comes down to the thing we have been lacking badly - depth......The thing that because we lack it so badly Oxlade fucking Chamberlain has been getting games in our front 3.....

There will be plenty of games and plenty of mins for this lad and Diaz - especially when we want to as we should be fighting on 4 fronts - and with rotation and 5 subs - there is plenty of room.

I'd also expect next to nothing from Diaz for rest of this season - you don't miss around 6 months of footy like he will have and with way his injuries have gone and come back and hit ground running. 

Jota is the one that worries me - really concerned the lad is a crock - too many injuries all on top of each other - hope he can return at a high level as he is a boss little player.

Remember reading - whether it is accurate  or not - that Mane was crucial to our press and our press has significantly dropped since he left. 

Jurgen mentioned a number of times earlier in the season that a number of the goals conceded came about because there was no pressure on the ball. 

With the team being away and supposedly working on the press, maybe they feel that someone with Mane like qualities in that area will have a huge effect on us not just offensively but defensively as well. 

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

I would say it’s more like:

Left - Diaz, Gakpo, Jota, Nunez

Central - Jota, Gakpo, Nunez, Salah, Firmino

Right - Salah

Don’t think we’ve ever had a back up for Mo since we signed him.

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

This has to be a pisstake. I don't see either Diaz or Jota getting any significant minutes this season, by the time they come back Nunez, and maybe Gakpo will be firmly in the side. Forgetting the mix and match mumbo jumbo - here are where the 7 attackers main minutes come imo from the start of next season. Jota can play across the front three - Gakpo through the middle.

Diaz                            Nunez                   Salah

Gakpo                          Jota                      Doak   

Firmino          

• 2 months later...

I think this analysis from the PSV scout has proven to be right on the money. 

"These two away games (against Ajax)  are just two examples to show that Cody is a big game player. There has been a level of criticism that says he hasn’t been that in the past. However this season in particular both with PSV and the national team has shown that he steps up to the mark when his team needs him the most."

Naturally took time to find his feet in a team that was right out of form. But scoring goals against two big rivals and a team who were riding high in the top four at the time shows that he can rise to the occasion. And taking away the goals, his general performances are on a steep incline. Good signs all round.

2 hours ago, TLW said:

I think this analysis from the PSV scout has proven to be right on the money. 

"These two away games (against Ajax)  are just two examples to show that Cody is a big game player. There has been a level of criticism that says he hasn’t been that in the past. However this season in particular both with PSV and the national team has shown that he steps up to the mark when his team needs him the most."

Naturally took time to find his feet in a team that was right out of form. But scoring goals against two big rivals and a team who were riding high in the top four at the time shows that he can rise to the occasion. And taking away the goals, his general performances are on a steep incline. Good signs all round.

Who'd have known,eh? A player who shone in a little tournament like the World Cup was never going to have the nerve for 'the best league in the world.'