Quantcast
Brighton 1 Liverpool 3 (Jul 8 2020) - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Brighton 1 Liverpool 3 (Jul 8 2020)

Recommended Posts

 

 
dave_usher.jpg
 
Report by
Dave Usher

 

Three more points towards the record. That’s what we’re playing for now and we’re almost there. Three wins from four will do it, four wins from four might set a record that will never be beaten.

 

I didn’t really know what to expect from this game as a lot depended on how Brighton approached it. They were terrific at Anfield earlier in the season and we needed two set-pieces headers from Virg to beat them. Recently though they’ve not been great and they’ve been a bit more defensive.

 

I suspected they’d sit back and defend in numbers, which would make it a tough game for us if we didn’t score early. They didn’t do that though, they picked an attacking line up and tried to play through us. It backfired spectacularly early on but overall they actually played very well I thought.

 

Brighton have been given stick for their ‘naive’ approach but I think that’s a bit unfair because this is how they want to play. They stayed true to their principles and were probably more adventurous than I expected. They’re virtually safe now though so the pressure was off them.

 

I get the argument that they should have adapted their game and not played out from the back because it plays to our strengths, and based on the result that’s an easy thing to say. I understand why Graham Potter did it though, because he did exactly the same at Anfield and I can remember writing after that game how impressed I was at the way they played through our press. 

 

We couldn’t actually get near them that day, they just went bump bump bump and they’d bypassed our forwards and were in our half every single time.

 

Unfortunately for them the lack of quality in attack meant they didn’t pose much threat, but I can remember saying how well coached a team they were back then. So Potter knew his team could play through our press and he encouraged them to do so again. This time it didn’t work and they conceded two goals in the opening seven or eight minutes.

 

It could be that they just made mistakes or it might have been that we pressed differently than the last game which forced those mistakes. There’s usually a player who we target because he’s seen as the least comfortable on the ball. Presumably it will have been Adam Webster or Dale Stephens (who’s a dead ringer for Ricky Gervais by the way) because they never looked comfortable at all. 

 

Souness was especially annoyed at Brighton’s approach. I can understand why they played like that but I do agree with Souness that Brighton should have eased their way into the game before trying to play so progressively. Knock it long early on or play it out wide early doors. That would have served them much better, but thankfully that’s not what they did.

 

 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

 

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Keita was good but he started on the left side of the midfield which means he was also responsible for covering that side a bit and he should share the blame along with Ox about having left Nico to fend for himself.

 

Dave - u clearly rate Lamptey highly. Why Arsenal and city? Why not us as a standby to Mane? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report as usual Dave and I honestly want the record to show we're the greatest team of all time who did not have to financially dope to get where we are. If Liverpool gets this record the City Centurions

becomes even more irrelevant and that record becomes even less spoken about that it is now.

 

Regarding:

 

That moment when he dealt with a difficult ball over the top by heading it back over Connolly and collecting it himself before playing a no look pass to Robbo was actually unfair. I don’t think is anyone else who would have even thought of doing that let alone been able to pull it off. He’s fucking ridiculous.

 

I can totally see Alison doing that and giving us all a heart attack

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tlw content said:

 

 
dave_usher.jpg
 
Report by
Dave Usher

 

Three more points towards the record. That’s what we’re playing for now and we’re almost there. Three wins from four will do it, four wins from four might set a record that will never be beaten.

 

I didn’t really know what to expect from this game as a lot depended on how Brighton approached it. They were terrific at Anfield earlier in the season and we needed two set-pieces headers from Virg to beat them. Recently though they’ve not been great and they’ve been a bit more defensive.

 

I suspected they’d sit back and defend in numbers, which would make it a tough game for us if we didn’t score early. They didn’t do that though, they picked an attacking line up and tried to play through us. It backfired spectacularly early on but overall they actually played very well I thought.

 

Brighton have been given stick for their ‘naive’ approach but I think that’s a bit unfair because this is how they want to play. They stayed true to their principles and were probably more adventurous than I expected. They’re virtually safe now though so the pressure was off them.

 

I get the argument that they should have adapted their game and not played out from the back because it plays to our strengths, and based on the result that’s an easy thing to say. I understand why Graham Potter did it though, because he did exactly the same at Anfield and I can remember writing after that game how impressed I was at the way they played through our press. 

 

We couldn’t actually get near them that day, they just went bump bump bump and they’d bypassed our forwards and were in our half every single time.

 

Unfortunately for them the lack of quality in attack meant they didn’t pose much threat, but I can remember saying how well coached a team they were back then. So Potter knew his team could play through our press and he encouraged them to do so again. This time it didn’t work and they conceded two goals in the opening seven or eight minutes.

 

It could be that they just made mistakes or it might have been that we pressed differently than the last game which forced those mistakes. There’s usually a player who we target because he’s seen as the least comfortable on the ball. Presumably it will have been Adam Webster or Dale Stephens (who’s a dead ringer for Ricky Gervais by the way) because they never looked comfortable at all. 

 

Souness was especially annoyed at Brighton’s approach. I can understand why they played like that but I do agree with Souness that Brighton should have eased their way into the game before trying to play so progressively. Knock it long early on or play it out wide early doors. That would have served them much better, but thankfully that’s not what they did.

 

 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

 

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

If Brighton stay in the Premier League with their 'naive, attacking approach' wherea overly defensive teams like West Ham and Bournemouth are relegated then I hope we get more naive, attacking teams in the Premier League that stay up. Brighton made for a very entertaining match and they looked at times like the could get back into the match. The third goal was the K.O.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I want them to beat city's record......because they deserve it and to shove it up Silvas arse.The prick.The disrespectful prick. I'd like to think that some of the players are thinking the same,just to shove it up his hole. Prick.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pudns said:

Oh I want them to beat city's record......because they deserve it and to shove it up Silvas arse.The prick.The disrespectful prick. I'd like to think that some of the players are thinking the same,just to shove it up his hole. Prick.

Bernardo Silva is an absolute dickhead. See: Twitter post on Mendy (and Sterling’s shameful excusing of it). The recent conduct was just more evidence if ever so needed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2020 at 15:11, Bad Red Bull said:

I thought Keita was good but he started on the left side of the midfield which means he was also responsible for covering that side a bit and he should share the blame along with Ox about having left Nico to fend for himself.

 

Dave - u clearly rate Lamptey highly. Why Arsenal and city? Why not us as a standby to Mane? 

Because he's an attacking right back and we have Trent and Neco already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×