You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He may have meant over your face, not on your back.

I was hoping he would say that parachutes work as mostly they do. But there are a number of situations where parachutes DON'T work, as illustrated by the stats that between 3000 and 5000 per year do not perform for multiple reasons, including alleged malfuncion. Could it be that the conditions prevented the parachute from opening? Could it be that the person did not pull hard enough? Could it simply that the parachute was not checked and was never going to work?

And it's worth going back to the very first person who ever jumped out of a plane with a parachute on. Did that person have evidence that it was going to work? Or were they happy to risk the possibility that it didn't. And the second person? And the third?

His obvious response to this claim is : Show me the evidence that parachutes DON'T work and perhaps people won't be so confident to jump out of planes with a parachute one. Fact is there may not be any evidence they don't work. But sometimes they don't work - but it's a long way down the statistical line for it to be obvious that parachutes do work in the majority of cases.

To which the obvious response will be : Show me the evidence that masks DON'T work and perhaps people won't be so confident to walk into shop with a mask on. Fact is there may not be any evidence they don't work. But we are so early down the statistical line that it's hard to be 100% positive. However the clues are based on the countries that do use them more than others, the numbers are definitey lower.

But not everyone wears masks in a shops. That would be the same as dropping one hundred people out of planes and giving 75 of them parachutes. When the stats come back and say only 74 people landed without any injuries that must mean parachutes don't work well enough.

If people believed enough in masks they would wear them, the evidence one way or another would become clear. Just like people believe parachutes work, even though they may never have used them.

Not sure what the problem with wearing a mask is whether it works or not. Better to err on the side of caution isn't it? And aside from steamed glasses and smelling your own breath, it doesn't hurt to wear one.

It feels like refusing to wear a mask is a struggle with self importance, most likely because of childhood issues.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

Not sure what the problem with wearing a mask is whether it works or not. Better to err on the side of caution isn't it? And aside from steamed glasses and smelling your own breath, it doesn't hurt to wear one.

It feels like refusing to wear a mask is a struggle with self importance, most likely because of childhood issues.

Yep. 

I've always had a problem with authority, not heirachy as such but I cant stand being 'told' what to do. That said, when it comes to masks even if it makes 0.000001% of a positive difference then I'm wearing one. 

I know people (elderly and poorly) who have only been comfortable going to the shops since most are now wearing masks. That alone is enough for me if it is making people feel better. 

I made a point to SD about a lift. I asked him if he had to get in a lift with someone with Covid but had the option of wearing a mask or not. He said he wouldn't get in the lift with someone with Covid in the first place. That means he believes it can be passed on by standing next to someone with Covid. Now unless Covid is leaping dandruff, I assume the feeling is that if the Covid guy coughs then SD doesn't want to get any of them nasty airborne particles.  Now SD might have to get in a lift and not know if the person has Covid.... A solution that might help avoid the airborne cough covid warriors? Both wear a mask. QED. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, M_B said:

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. 

I've always had a problem with authority, not heirachy as such but I cant stand being 'told' what to do. That said, when it comes to masks even if it makes 0.000001% of a positive difference then I'm wearing one. 

I know people (elderly and poorly) who have only been comfortable going to the shops since most are now wearing masks. That alone is enough for me if it is making people feel better. 

I made a point to SD about a lift. I asked him if he had to get in a lift with someone with Covid but had the option of wearing a mask or not. He said he wouldn't get in the lift with someone with Covid in the first place. That means he believes it can be passed on by standing next to someone with Covid. Now unless Covid is leaping dandruff, I assume the feeling is that if the Covid guy coughs then SD doesn't want to get any of them nasty airborne particles.  Now SD might have to get in a lift and not know if the person has Covid.... A solution that might help avoid the airborne cough covid warriors? Both wear a mask. QED. 

I'm not sure if I've read it right but both @Spy Bee and @Stront19m Dog™ have said they wear masks where legally required to, which suggests they're onboard the mask train. If this isn't correct, I'll send appropriate gifs in their direction.

I've had to order some of those plastic face shields as I've tried to deliver a couple of driving lessons with a mask on - the requirements stated are to both driver and trainer to wear a mask, windows open for ventilation and for trainer to sit further back that the driver. This combination makes it impossible for the driver to hear me with a mask on. That combination is more dangerous to the public than not wearing masks in the car. At least with a face shield there is more chance the driver can hear what is being said.

Sometimes practicality and safety don't come up with the same solutions.

10 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I'm not sure if I've read it right but both @Spy Bee and @Stront19m Dog™ have said they wear masks where legally required to, which suggests they're onboard the mask train. If this isn't correct, I'll send appropriate gifs in their direction.

I've had to order some of those plastic face shields as I've tried to deliver a couple of driving lessons with a mask on - the requirements stated are to both driver and trainer to wear a mask, windows open for ventilation and for trainer to sit further back that the driver. This combination makes it impossible for the driver to hear me with a mask on. That combination is more dangerous to the public than not wearing masks in the car. At least with a face shield there is more chance the driver can hear what is being said.

Sometimes practicality and safety don't come up with the same solutions.

They both say they wear them, I'm not disputing that. They both don't think they have any positive impact though. Fair play to them for following the rules regardless of their belief unlike some arrogant twats but they don't think they are necessary. The lift analogy was based around "if you had a choice of mask or no mask in a closed vicinity with a Covid sufferer, would you choose to wear one or not". Needless to say I didn't get an answer to either option. 

25 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

This is a mate of mine. YOu might want to check out this option

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This is a mate of mine. YOu might want to check out this option

That looks like a great option for me, I have found the website and I'll definitely stick an order in. I assume they are not one use and can be cleaned etc?

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They both say they wear them, I'm not disputing that. They both don't think they have any positive impact though. Fair play to them for following the rules regardless of their belief unlike some arrogant twats but they don't think they are necessary. The lift analogy was based around "if you had a choice of mask or no mask in a closed vicinity with a Covid sufferer, would you choose to wear one or not". Needless to say I didn't get an answer to either option. 

Uh-oh, the thought police are out! ;)

I'm not sure about your hypothetical. The science says that you have to be close to someone for 15 minutes to contract the virus. So, unless I'm going to floor 1245 I should be okay, right? More to the point though, are they wearing a mask and are they symptomatic? If they are not coughing and spluttering the chances of them passing the virus to me is negligible. If they are symptomatic and wearing a mask, then surely I don't need to because the masks are so effective at stopping a person from spreading it to others?

I just find the lack of consistency maddening. I can sit in an office all day without a mask on. I can sit opposite someone at a table in a pub or a restaurant for two hours without wearing a mask, I can workout in a gym without wearing a mask, but if I walking around a shop, I have to wear a mask.

20 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Uh-oh, the thought police are out! ;)

I'm not sure about your hypothetical. The science says that you have to be close to someone for 15 minutes to contract the virus. So, unless I'm going to floor 1245 I should be okay, right? More to the point though, are they wearing a mask and are they symptomatic? If they are not coughing and spluttering the chances of them passing the virus to me is negligible. If they are symptomatic and wearing a mask, then surely I don't need to because the masks are so effective at stopping a person from spreading it to others?

I just find the lack of consistency maddening. I can sit in an office all day without a mask on. I can sit opposite someone at a table in a pub or a restaurant for two hours without wearing a mask, I can workout in a gym without wearing a mask, but if I walking around a shop, I have to wear a mask.

Ok, you have to get in a lift for 10 floors with a man with Covid who isn't wearing a mask. Are you going to wear one or not given the option? 

I agree fully with your second paragraph. We agree on that. The messaging and planning has been a disgrace. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Ok, you have to get in a lift for 10 floors with a man with Covid who isn't wearing a mask. Are you going to wear one or not given the option? 

I agree fully with your second paragraph. We agree on that. The messaging and planning has been a disgrace. 

I'm not going to answer that, because it's just hypothetical. What I will say is that I live about a minute's walk from a Co-op Shop. I go in their daily and I don't wear a mask. Hardly anybody does wear a mask. 

• Downvote 1

Good Law Project

Dear Adam,

On Monday evening, Good Law Project is hosting a live panel discussion on our cases to challenge the award of huge PPE contracts to a number of companies, seemingly without any advertising or competitive tender process. 

We are taking legal action in relation to three PPE contracts awarded by Government - to a pest control company, a confectioner, and an opaque private fund owned through a tax haven. Why did the Government award enormous sums of public money to these companies? We intend to find out. 

If you would like to find more about the case and the remarkable facts we have unearthed so far, you can watch our live panel discussion. The panel of speakers includes Jolyon Maugham, Director of Good Law Project, Dawn Butler, MP for Brent Central, and Alex Rook from Rook Irwin Sweeney, the solicitors acting in these cases. 

Here are the details of the event:
When:  6PM - 7PM, Monday 10th August
Where: Facebook or Twitter
RSVP: Eventbrite

You don’t need to download anything to watch the event - just log on to Facebook or Twitter at 6pm on Monday! Don’t worry if you can’t attend, the event will be recorded so you can watch it later.

Thank you for your support,
Good Law Project team

PS: If there is a specific question you’d like the panel to discuss, you can let us know by replying to this email.

57 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The lift analogy was based around "if you had a choice of mask or no mask in a closed vicinity with a Covid sufferer, would you choose to wear one or not". Needless to say I didn't get an answer to either option. 

Wasn't quite what you asked me, you asked would I rather the covid carrier wore a mask or not. And you did get an answer:

On 24/07/2020 at 12:55, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Stig: If you were stood in a lift with someone who had Covid  and you were asked would you like them to wear a mask while you stand next to them or not, what would you choose? Mask, yes or no? 

I wouldn't care either way.

Just now, Spy Bee said:
Good Law Project

Dear Adam,

On Monday evening, Good Law Project is hosting a live panel discussion on our cases to challenge the award of huge PPE contracts to a number of companies, seemingly without any advertising or competitive tender process. 

We are taking legal action in relation to three PPE contracts awarded by Government - to a pest control company, a confectioner, and an opaque private fund owned through a tax haven. Why did the Government award enormous sums of public money to these companies? We intend to find out. 

If you would like to find more about the case and the remarkable facts we have unearthed so far, you can watch our live panel discussion. The panel of speakers includes Jolyon Maugham, Director of Good Law Project, Dawn Butler, MP for Brent Central, and Alex Rook from Rook Irwin Sweeney, the solicitors acting in these cases. 

Here are the details of the event:
When:  6PM - 7PM, Monday 10th August
Where: Facebook or Twitter
RSVP: Eventbrite

You don’t need to download anything to watch the event - just log on to Facebook or Twitter at 6pm on Monday! Don’t worry if you can’t attend, the event will be recorded so you can watch it later.

Thank you for your support,
Good Law Project team

PS: If there is a specific question you’d like the panel to discuss, you can let us know by replying to this email.

Thieving cunts- 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm not going to answer that, because it's just hypothetical. What I will say is that I live about a minute's walk from a Co-op Shop. I go in their daily and I don't wear a mask. Hardly anybody does wear a mask. 

Isn't that just very convenient. I will assume your answer suits my argument as opposed to your so thanks. Point proven. 

I live right near a Tesco Express and the vast majority wear one. 

Liz Truss's adviser owns the shell company that procured 50m of the wrong kind of face masks for the NHS. The Govt awarded the £250m contract based presumably on how much they donated to CCHQ, not on their ability to fulfil their remit.

No tender process. No due diligence.

Liz Truss is secretary of Department for International Trade and will be responsible for parts of the post Brexit trade talks.

BA45762A-9555-4DF0-A943-6D3939347E83.png

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Isn't that just very convenient. I will assume your answer suits my argument as opposed to your so thanks. Point proven. 

I live right near a Tesco Express and the vast majority wear one. 

No. It's just a pointless hypothetical question. Alright for illustration, but really my answer means fuck all & if I wanted to I could just lie, so it's moot.

I'm in Wales, we don't have to, so most people choose not to.

On 05/08/2020 at 09:00, Spy Bee said:

I wear masks where it is mandated to do so. I don't believe the policy is evidence based, but I don't ignore the guidelines.

*I actually went on holiday to a town with a population of just over 30,000 people. That town has experienced 22 cases in total, and only 4 since the beginning of July. I came back to Wrexham, which has been having approximately 100 cases per week for about 2 months. 

24 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Hmm.... 

EDIT: Aaaah, for got you live in Wales. 

Just now, Spy Bee said:

No. It's just a pointless hypothetical question. Alright for illustration, but really my answer means fuck all & if I wanted to I could just lie, so it's moot.

I'm in Wales, we don't have to, so most people choose not to.

No it's just convenient for you not to answer.