You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2018

DanDanShaw

Fell asleep waiting for it to start!

Just watched a rerun and gutted I missed it live. Great fight. Was very close, but lomachenko was defo in charge. Linares was throwing a lot of flurries which weren't landing.

Munguia absolutely bossed Ali. Wasn't even competitive. Worth a watch of that one too.

Aye, Munguia looks like a monster.

After the Linares fight, who are you backing now in Mikey Garcia v Lomachenko?

Needs to be made.

Lomachenko on points for me.

But Garcia would use his physical advantages much better than Linares did. 

Absolutely no way Liam Smith forces his mandatory position now to fight Munguia.  I bet him and Warren are praying that Golovkin still wants the Munguia fight and he moves up leaving the belt vacant.

Yep, Warren won't be pushing for that one any time soon.

The Paret one is horrific. A couple of others -

Enzo Maccarinelli vs Alexander Frenkel 

Gerry Cooney vs Ken Norton

Jess Willard vs Jack Dempsey

Davey Moore vs Roberto Duran

Some of the old black & white fights, the refs are insane.

Didnt Paret taunt Griffiths about his sexuality? It was horrific and the way Dempsey battered Willard despite that there must of been some difference in size as I think Willard was 6'7"?

Didnt Paret taunt Griffiths about his sexuality? It was horrific and the way Dempsey battered Willard despite that there must of been some difference in size as I think Willard was 6'7"?

Yeah, there were lots of rumours back in those days that Emile Griffith was gay. Paret called him a "maricon" which is basically a male prostitute.  

Jess Willard claimed for years that Dempsey had loaded gloves in that fight. It does have some validity seeing the shellacking Dempsey put on him. Dempsey was in with the mob. He spent time as a mob enforcer before getting into boxing. 

Yes Paret did taunt Griffiths and Willard was a giant but pretty shit

I was at that Maccarinelli one, i couldn't believe the ref told him to carry on after the previous knockdown as he was wobbling all over the place and then that vicious ko followed, i thought Enzo was in serious trouble, thought he could have actually died.  Frenkel never boxed again after that as it really affected him.

At the same time as that fight the Brummies were kicking the shite out of the Welsh in the crowd, pure mayhem in and out of the ring.

• Upvote 1

I was at that Maccarinelli one, i couldn't believe the ref told him to carry on after the previous knockdown as he was wobbling all over the place and then that vicious ko followed, i thought Enzo was in serious trouble, thought he could have actually died.  Frenkel never boxed again after that as it really affected him.

At the same time as that fight the Brummies were kicking the shite out of the Welsh in the crowd, pure mayhem in and out of the ring.

I didn't realise that it affected Frenkel like that. I can only imagine, because it was hard enough to watch, let alone participate in it. The ref was a complete idiot.

"Frank Warren confirmed that the WBO have ordered Jaime Munguia to defend his new super-welterweight title against Liam Smith. He thinks the fight is likely for August/September. [@IFLTV]"

Fair play if he takes the fight, Sadam Ali had already been stopped at welterweight, is small for 154 and his best win was a shot to shit/injured Cotto - so maybe the win flatters Munguia but he looked like a beast and he's fucking huge.  I think he stops Smith.

Speaking of Enzo he was on ToetoToe a few weeks back and said something really bad happened prior to the Haye fight but would not disclose it. Any ideas?

Yeah he realized he was a bouncer not a boxer and Haye was going to fucking destroy him.

Going out on a limb i know but i reckon this Selby vs Warrington fight might go the distance

15 stoppages in 53 fights between them haha, that's why I could (maybe) see Warrington winning.  1. it massively benefits Warren if Warrington wins.  2. Warrington's mad work rate could see him just win rounds on activity alone.