You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spartak Moskva (6/12) Champions League Group Stage

Bjornebye

Teams hate defending against pace mixed with skill, we have it abundance when firing on all cylinders.A lot will depend on fitness/injuries when we have to play the latter ties. 7-0 won't go unnoticed, teams will think, hey up. 

Bottom line is, now that we're in the "knockout" stages, I want to win it.

Whether we lose to Real in the last 16 or Barca in the Final, makes no difference to me.

Bring it.

Job well done. We are into the CL knockout stage for the first time since 2009.

I missed the first half an hour or so as Virgin Media lost the TV signal some time this afternoon ('essential' maintenance work in the area, apparently), and it was only coming back intermittently until well after the game had got underway. The thieving bastards will still hike their prices on the pretence of offering 'more' and 'better value' (Virgin Media and not the club, on this occasion!). But I digress.

We were 3-0 to the good by the time I had any picture, and seemingly coasting. From what I saw of the rest of the half, it looked pretty even, even though we still created the better chances and threatened to extend our lead. A bit like against Sevilla then.

Second half, we came out with much more urgency than we'd shown against the Spaniards, and Mane scored with a peach of a volley. He actually adjusted his position mid-strike, and still got a fabulously clean contact on the ball. After that it was a case of filling our boots. We could have got into double figures.

It's been a theme for us in the Champions League this season. We've had spells against all our opponents where we've threatened to tear them a new arsehole. Against Sevilla we let things slip away in the second half. Against Spartak in Moscow, we came away with only a 1-1 draw when the performance and chances wasted should have seen a similar scoreline to tonight. We've been the best team in the group by a country mile, no doubt.

I suppose the only downside to tonight is the injury to Moreno. He looked to be in real pain and might need to be rested for the weekend. We do have alternatives for the left back position at least. Lovren was subbed in the second half but that might have been to ensure his freshness for the weekend. We are light in the centre at the minute, with Matip out for a while and both Klavan and Gomez only just returning after illness.

The main thing is, we went out there with a purpose to bag a win, and carried it out with aplomb. As great as it is to see us tear teams apart, we need to know we can remain solid and get results when we aren't looking so hot too.

There are number of stronger, better balanced teams than us in the draw. Assuming we make it.

Like who, Madrid Barcelona aging sides, Tonight we banged in 7, yes we can with a bit of luck go all the way, As for the better teams Man U we where far supoerior in our recent draw as we where against Chelsea, Man City lost tonight A bit of luck we can do it.

Guest Pistonbroke

He's right, we haven't played anyone yet!

If we knock fuck out of someone good in the next round though it'll be interesting to see what he says then!

If we repeat Istanbul it may strike him mute!

Yeah, but we all know that. He's on a program reviewing tonight's games and he more or less dismissed the performance by moving onto the 'what might happen' line, anyway, fuck the Manc gobshyte.  

Guest Pistonbroke

Maybe the scoreline shit him up!

Aye, especially after his beloved Mancs had to come from behind to beat the mighty Basel 2-1, who are certainly not the team they used to be at this level. The Mancs will get either Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shakthar, Porto or Madrid, hope they get Bayern or Real. 

Ben Dinnery‏ @BenDinnery

A initial assessment suggests Moreno's injury is not too serious, although the full-back will be monitored closely over the 24-48 hours. #LFC

Good,  I found myself being quite concerned about him despite the pain he has inflicted on me over the last few seasons,. He was genuinely upset at going off and made a valiant attempt to carry on, I suppose he knows if Robertson takes his chance he's toast,