You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Mars Volta seem to have killed the thread!

Couple of reviews outstanding but I'm looking forward to a new AOW. Who's next to pick?

I really enjoyed the album, just not had a chance to listen to it on earphones. That's on the 'today' list.

Selection to follow shortly...

Here we go.

I have a soft spot for jangly pop - Beck is great - and Britain's answer to Beck is Badly Drawn Boy.

I loved his album with 'Have You Fed The Fish' - a great sense of humour and slick pop. I thought about choosing this album is it's my personal favourite of his. But as it's quite old I wanted something fresh.

So he's not released an album for eight years and this year he has released Banana Skin Shoes. Here it is...

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nH8ExwKhoXojw3dg_r6YpWGLzFNpY9sLg

Review: Badly Drawn Boy - Banana Skin Shoes

I think I might've seen these at Glastonbury 20 years ago? Maybe.

[presses play]

Banana Skin Shoes leads the way, a cross between Beck and The Happy Mondays, all bass, syntgs and percussion.

Promising.

Is This A Dream? Is far better, I really like the vocal on this, big poppy melody and lovely bass.

A great happy song, I need some of this in my life atm.

I Just Wanna Wish You Happiness is slower, another nice vocal, he's got a really nice tone to his voice.

Very magnanimous song about reflecting on a break up with a smile. Always nice if you can do that.

I'm Not Sure What It Is us quirky and jaunty, another lush jangly poppy chorus. Love the fretless bass on this.

Tony Wilson Said kicks off with another bass and drum groove, obviously about the Madchester scene, this again has a Mondays vibe.

Really busy with great percussion. A nice pop song, another happy track.

You and Me Against The World swings in like the girl from Ipanema. Another lovely bass line and nice vocal.

These songs are hitting the spot without hitting the heights, a really nice contrast to our Mars Volta record.

I Need Someone To Trust invokes Abba for a moment.

The verse is nice and trad bass, drums and vocal, the chorus goes up a notch and again reminds me of something. Abba? A TV theme? Help me out here lads.

One of the best songs yet, simple and warm.

Note to Self - the intro is Paperback Writer and Fela Kuti, like that guitar though.

Really like this, the mix is very good. There's a lot going on and this album slowly reveals itself with each successive listen.

Reminds me a little bit of Belle and Sebastian, especially the higher vocal at the end of the chorus.

Colours - Ice T cover? Sadly not.

The uptempo beat here reminds me of Duran, Duran. The bass again stands out but the song is a minute too long, goes  nowhere.

Funny Time Of Year plods a bit and feels a bit morose for me atm.

Not my favourite.

Fly On The Wall picks us back up, stripped back a bit and sets us up for a big chorus...which doesn't really appear.

Slight misfire, really like those verses though.

Never Change - the synthy parts on this album have been really good and the synth and piano lead us in here, underpinned by more tasteful bass and drums.

Another lyric full of hope and optimism.

Appletree Boulevard - opening bars remind me if Clymie Fisher?

Many layers here but they just get in each others way, obscuring the song itself.

Goes nowhere.

I'll Do My Best - final track, understated flamboyance, another very British vocal, wry and subtle.

Like the brass melody. Don't settle for nothing less, a fine ending.

The more I listened to Banana Skin Shoes the more it revealed of itself and the more I liked it.

Very British, very poppy, introspective at times, great production and mix.

Hovering between a 6 and an 8, it's a 7 from me.

• Upvote 1

So I finally managed to listen to the Mars Volta album on earphones today. First listen was a bit of a struggle, second listen I quite liked it but there was so much going on. It seems as though listening to this on earphones was what I needed as I appreciated a lot more the amount of content going on. It's definitely a grower and far more to me than a prog rock record. There seems to be a lot of influences going on from lots of musical quarters, probably most noticably for me it had more than an occasional nod to jazz with it's complex rhythms.

Very good album, 8.5/10 would a comfortable minimum rating.

Badly Drawn Boy - Banana Skin Shoes

I didn't mind a bit of Badly Drawn Boy back in the day, but thought he must have been dead or retired having just disappeared and not released anything in years.

I'm also quite partial to listening to new records from old indie pop favourites (even though I like to also kid myself I'm still a cool motherfucker), so was looking forward to this one.

It starts off really good.  "Banana Skin Shoes" itself is great fun, all sorts of sounds in there.

"Is This a Dream?" is also good, then "I Just Want to Wish you Happiness" is lovely, very nice break up song.  He's obviously a reasonably happy middle aged Mancunian, even if a few things aren't working out.

It wanes a little bit after the cracking start - "Tony Wilson Said" is catchy, but I don't like it for some reason, and there's another couple of fillers in there that @Carvalho Diablo has pointed out.

I do like Colours though, and then it finishes nicely with "I'll Do My Best" - a really good one.

All in all, it's a pretty good listen, I agree with CD on the rating and would give it a 7.

As is the case with a lot ageing indie pop artists, he's still got a good command of melody and knows what he's doing,  but it's not going to quite challenge previous albums as their seminal work. 

Not sure about Badly Drawn Boy being Britain's answer to Beck shout as well - I'd maybe go with Steve Mason.

• Upvote 1

Confession on the Badly Drawn Boy album - I took a risk on selecting it as I'd never heard it before selecting it. I only heard the first song when I saw it as a title track from the album. I only listened to the whole album after selecting it.

I really enjoyed his previous albums so it was selected on the strength of those.

On 15/11/2020 at 16:57, Carvalho Diablo said:

Review: Badly Drawn Boy - Banana Skin Shoes

I think I might've seen these at Glastonbury 20 years ago? Maybe.

[presses play]

Banana Skin Shoes leads the way, a cross between Beck and The Happy Mondays, all bass, syntgs and percussion.

Promising.

Is This A Dream? Is far better, I really like the vocal on this, big poppy melody and lovely bass.

A great happy song, I need some of this in my life atm.

I Just Wanna Wish You Happiness is slower, another nice vocal, he's got a really nice tone to his voice.

Very magnanimous song about reflecting on a break up with a smile. Always nice if you can do that.

I'm Not Sure What It Is us quirky and jaunty, another lush jangly poppy chorus. Love the fretless bass on this.

Tony Wilson Said kicks off with another bass and drum groove, obviously about the Madchester scene, this again has a Mondays vibe.

Really busy with great percussion. A nice pop song, another happy track.

You and Me Against The World swings in like the girl from Ipanema. Another lovely bass line and nice vocal.

These songs are hitting the spot without hitting the heights, a really nice contrast to our Mars Volta record.

I Need Someone To Trust invokes Abba for a moment.

The verse is nice and trad bass, drums and vocal, the chorus goes up a notch and again reminds me of something. Abba? A TV theme? Help me out here lads.

One of the best songs yet, simple and warm.

Note to Self - the intro is Paperback Writer and Fela Kuti, like that guitar though.

Really like this, the mix is very good. There's a lot going on and this album slowly reveals itself with each successive listen.

Reminds me a little bit of Belle and Sebastian, especially the higher vocal at the end of the chorus.

Colours - Ice T cover? Sadly not.

The uptempo beat here reminds me of Duran, Duran. The bass again stands out but the song is a minute too long, goes  nowhere.

Funny Time Of Year plods a bit and feels a bit morose for me atm.

Not my favourite.

Fly On The Wall picks us back up, stripped back a bit and sets us up for a big chorus...which doesn't really appear.

Slight misfire, really like those verses though.

Never Change - the synthy parts on this album have been really good and the synth and piano lead us in here, underpinned by more tasteful bass and drums.

Another lyric full of hope and optimism.

Appletree Boulevard - opening bars remind me if Clymie Fisher?

Many layers here but they just get in each others way, obscuring the song itself.

Goes nowhere.

I'll Do My Best - final track, understated flamboyance, another very British vocal, wry and subtle.

Like the brass melody. Don't settle for nothing less, a fine ending.

The more I listened to Banana Skin Shoes the more it revealed of itself and the more I liked it.

Very British, very poppy, introspective at times, great production and mix.

Hovering between a 6 and an 8, it's a 7 from me.

In light of everything you are experiencing at the moment, I'm grateful for the complete review of the record. My thoughts are with you.

8 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Confession on the Badly Drawn Boy album - I took a risk on selecting it as I'd never heard it before selecting it. I only heard the first song when I saw it as a title track from the album. I only listened to the whole album after selecting it.

I really enjoyed his previous albums so it was selected on the strength of those.

Nice one, I like your style.

What do you reckon now you've listened to it?

11 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nice one, I like your style.

What do you reckon now you've listened to it?

The first half of the album I really enjoyed it, lots of good sync production and good humour too (I think Tony Wilson is a British comedian so not sure why he was name-dropped) with the second half slowing down a fair bit. It is a really good album but if I'm honest 'Have You Fed The Fish' has superior highs.

Edit: Great to see you're taking an interest in all thoughts on albums. A true musical fanatic.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

The first half of the album I really enjoyed it, lots of good sync production and good humour too (I think Tony Wilson is a British comedian so not sure why he was name-dropped) with the second half slowing down a fair bit. It is a really good album but if I'm honest 'Have You Fed The Fish' has superior highs.

Tony Wilson was the guy behind Factory Records and The Hacienda, the whole Madchester scene.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Tony Wilson was the guy behind Factory Records and The Hacienda, the whole Madchester scene.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Was there not a comedian with a similar name?

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

He presented a comedy quiz show on Channel 4 back in the day, Remote Control, that had Frank Sidebottom on it.

That Frank Sidebottom biopic I saw last year (Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story I think it was called / not the Fassbender one) was utterly brilliant.

Badly Drawn Boy  - Banana Skin Shoes

An artist I've seen live a few times and quite enjoyed. I think I might have a couple of his albums/soundtracks in my collection.
I didn't know he had a new release so this was a welcome choice.

Banana Skin Shoes
A blasting intro moves into a funky groove. Definite hints of Beck from this one. Nice little 80's bass breakdowns too. 
A fun throwaway pop song, hard not to like this really. It touches on a "modern life is rubbish" theme. 
Lyrics like "Turn Life Up To Eleven" and "Super Size Your Soul" could have easily come from wanky marketing company brochures. 

Is this a Dream?
This is a very confident Damon Gough album. 2 songs in and no shortage of differing instruments and arrangements. Sign of an artist that is comfortable with where he's at. Biting lyrics here - "I'm running out of caviar/had to sell a super car" - having a dig at someone or at least a way of life. Part of my hoping he's having a go at Tory pricks.

I Just Want to Wish you Happiness
Is this a break up song? Sure sounds like it. Quite a "heart on your sleeve" song that gets a bit cheesy.
Nice arrangement and vocal. Not many break up songs sound so poppy so this is an achievement.

I'm Not Sure What It Is
Brings me back to his early work and easily recognisable as BDB.  A very similar beat to "Once around the block" from "Bewilderbeast" album.I quite like the bassline mooching its way through this track. This is a proper swinging pop song, brass section gives it a great bouncy lift. Excellent.

Tony Wilson Said
A nod to the Madchester days. This has a 80s and early 90's beat written all over it. 
That bassline just screams "Let's Hear it for the Boy" to me, I can't be the only one who hears it? Percussion is great. Bored me after a bit though.

You and Me Against The World
Nice Latin swing to this from the drum machine. Dreamy, distant vocal against that rhythm and those atmospherics.
So many textures to these songs that sound great in headphones.

I Need Someone To Trust
This is a radio friendly unit shifter. Big poppy chorus and that minor chord change at reminds me of something I can't put my finger on.
I can actually visualise Ant and Dec or someone of their ilk singing this. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... Pure pop.

Note To Self
More gentle latin rhythms with 3 chords plucked on the guitar on repeat. Nice change of style but still feels tied into what has preceeded it. Lovely vocal here too. One of the best songs.

Colours
Another bright, bouncy pop song. The instrumentation is again brilliant, there is no shortage of variation on this album.
Repetivite track though that goes on a little bit. Can hear the Duran Duran vibe too as CD said. This would be popular at a festival I reckon.

Funny Time of Year
Pleasant piano led intro, with then continues throughout playing a looping melody. Bright and poppy but lyrically morose and regretful. 
"I don't want to let you down" - clearly afraid of making another mistake or regretting the ones he has. Another track that would be at home on his debut album.

Fly on The Wall
Brilliant start to this song. He can really write a catchy tune. Without the lyrics this could pass as a 70's disco track.

The chorus changes the mood of the opening though and brings it down somewhat. Brilliant production on this track. 

Never Change
Just like Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff, the lyrics are cack and cheesy. But the piano and strings are beautiful here, invoking a bit of Lennon at the end actually. 

Appletree Boulevard
I like this track, there's a great mood set at the start of it. It's also very like his old stuff. 
I think I prefer when he writes tracks like this actually, with lyrics that are more cryptic and moody.

I'll Do My Best
A song about regret. Another where he's pleading for forgiveness and wearing his heart on his sleeve. 
A song for someone. Not a song for Zonko, though. Goes nowhere but I'm sure it means something to someone. 

So another decent bit of output from Gough. He can really write a quirky poppy tune and the sheer amount of instruments used has to be admired. The arrangements are brilliant at times too. But just like some of his other albums I felt that this album dragged a little at times. He was never the best lyricist but he's stayed close to the cheese big time on this one. A lot of these would be best suited to film soundtracks which is exactly where Gough excels. Enjoyable album nonetheless and I'd give it a 7/10

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

What's going on here then?  Still waiting for any Banana Skin Shoes reviews?

In other music news I see @ZonkoVille77's mates Fontaines DC have been nominated for best rock album at the Grammies.

Only @TheHowieLama I think. But happy to see a new choice come up in the next 24-48 hours.

If @Skidfingers McGonical wants to select, the floor is yours.