You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Neil Young - Harvest

Shocking that I've not listened to a single album by Neil Young and there was a track on this one that I think I've heard somewhere before. I wouldn't have known his genre either. Just off the radar altogether.

Bob Dylan? Neil Diamond? Willie Nelson? Van Morrison? I've heard of all these, but not listened to Neil Young. Now I'm wondering who came first. Who influenced whom?

Anyway, now I've heard this record I guess I'd better listen to some more. Really liked the Americana vibe of this, although I have to admit it's possibly a little bit on the more sombre side - possibly not helped by his vocal style which is definitely lower energy. But the playing is exceptional, I would assume he writes his own music, assuming this is is the case he's clearly a talent that's curved around my area.

8.5/10 after one listen. It may go up in the future but if I'm honest the fact I've listened to more recent Americana possibly makes the music seem a little dated. If I'd heard the music before this would have been tick in the nostalgia category and would have taken it above 9.

Good pick and I'll definitely listen to more of his music.

Listening back on Harvest -- on the country tracks the sound of the bass and the bass drum together is quite something. Almost sounds like a single instrument for alot of it.

Neil got lucky with the back up guys for sure, especially Ben Keith who went on to play with him for decades.

Great stuff all around. Easily 9/10.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea - seminal stuff. The bookend to Johnny Cash American Recordings - Rubin did those two in the same year.

I had no idea she had signed to Rick Rubin's label, certainly explains the clean and clear production. My favourite album of hers as it's quite upbeat, but she does have other fantastic records which tend to be a little more downbeat.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I had no idea she had signed to Rick Rubin's label, certainly explains the clean and clear production. My favourite album of hers as it's quite upbeat, but she does have other fantastic records which tend to be a little more downbeat.

I have steered you in the wrong direction here man. Went to check this out and apparently she had a blowout with him and Steve Earle and trashed those sessions!! Learn something new everyday.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Been listening to this for 20 years thinking it was RR produced.

Roy Bittan?? - He is in Springsteen's backup band FFS!!

@Bjornebye what is the name of the band that backs Bruce Springsteen up.

e-street band?

On 24/03/2021 at 19:14, Shooter in the Motor said:

Let's keep on the Americana tracks. Or actually road...

CarWheelson_aGravelRoad.jpg

Just in case, you can get to the record on spotify by clicking on the record cover.

Lucinda

Right in Time - intro some Bigsby twangs us in - the first two lines are amongst the greatest ever written. Chorus gorgeous - huge. Now knowing it was Roy Bittan, the male harmony is pure Steven Van Zandt. 

Car Wheels - she continues from "standing over the stove in the kitchen" in Right on Time to the "sitting in the kitchen". It is one of the great roots tracks ever. Listen to this and you know why the record industry created Sheryl Crow.

2 Kool -  crap I have hit post. Will edit. Anywhoo - guitar on this - tremolo - have it.

Was going to do the Carvalho and go track by track as it is a record I know pretty well (or thought so) but then went down the rabbit hole on the production and Ris'ed up my review.

So - Rubin mixed it - Steve Earle is still on it. 

This is easily one of the best records in the thread - every track worth repeated listening - 9.95/10

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Was going to do the Carvalho and go track by track as it is a record I know pretty well (or thought so) but then went down the rabbit hole on the production and Ris'ed up my review.

So - Rubin mixed it - Steve Earle is still on it. 

This is easily one of the best records in the thread - every track worth repeated listening - 9.95/10

It's just a brilliant record and one of the reasons I love Americana is the use of guitar, organs, drums and vocals to produce either melancholy or delight. 

I love Lucinda. 

Edit: when did Sheryl Crow come to prominence compared to Lucinda? 

I've listened to it a few times now (should have my review up by the end of the week) but I just wanted to comment on the sound of the record; the playing, the production and the mix are all great but I found the mastering to be quite harsh, it's an extremely 'loud' record with not a great deal of dynamic headroom. I remember reading something similar about RHCP Californication record back in the day and I did hear the same compressed harshness here.

That said, I rewatched both Le Haine and It's A Wonderful Life over the last few months and found the same unnecessary harshness in both of those.

Perhaps my hearing is still fucked from the covid?!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

She was mid 90's - take a look/listen to Sweet Old World, that came out in early 90's.

Back to Car Wheels --- Greenville, what a track!

She has an amazing voice and she's not bad on the guitar either. I'm wondering whether 9.95/10 is actually enough.