You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

On 09/03/2019 at 03:03, A Red said:

I will trust the leader/party that offers the least chance of chaos and high taxation, in other words doesnt rock my boat too much. No problem with increased taxation - big on super rich, small on me.

too busy worrying about your boat being rocked to notice the riverbed is silted and the water is shallow enough to wade in

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Interesting piece by Peter Oborne about Dangerous Hero.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/tom-bower-book-dangerous-hero-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-truth

Bear in mind that Tom Bower’s book is not just intellectually dishonest, it is a farrago of falsehood and insinuation. 

Yet it appears to have had no difficulty finding a mainstream publisher, while receiving a generous reception in the mainstream press...

I have frequently criticised Jeremy Corbyn. Middle East Eye readers will know that I think he has serious questions to answer about anti-semitism. I have never made a secret of my Tory sympathies.

But I do believe in fairness. Are British journalists allowing hostility to Corbyn to get in the way of telling the truth? Has there been a balanced discussion of the anti-semitism claims against Corbyn’s Labour? The warm reception for Tom Bower’s ugly hatchet job on the leader of the opposition suggests that something has gone badly wrong with British public life.

Very interesting read that article. Cheers 

3 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

1) The relevance to the thread. 

2) The libel damages you’re talking about.

3) The connection between the Murray’s Picasso and the damages owed to Riley, as mentioned in your post. 

Sorry, I assumed you'd been keeping up with the thread in recent weeks.

1) Laura Murray, senior Labour adviser, daughter of Andrew Murray, senior adviser to Jeremy Corbyn

2) She libelled Rachel Riley on Twitter, then deleted her Twitter account

3) Having sold the painting, Laura will surely have no problem paying damages (that bit self-explanatory, I feel)

Ooh 'eck, not a good look. Labour employees threatening to strike over being offered below-inflation pay rises.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/labour-staff-threaten-strike-after-14097980

Labour staff threaten strike after being 'denied bank holidays in party's own manifesto'
Staff have reportedly been offered a £600 in pay rise spread over 12 months - which for most is below inflation

Labour staff are considering strike action against the party after rejecting an "insulting" offer for pay rises. Staff also asked for four extra days of holiday, which mirrored plans in Labour's last manifesto - but sources claim their requests have been rebuffed so far.

On Wednesday the GMB rejected the pay offer, which offered a below inflation rise of just £600 a year. They have reportedly told Labour that had seven days to come back with a better deal.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Sorry, I assumed you'd been keeping up with the thread in recent weeks.

1) Laura Murray, senior Labour adviser, daughter of Andrew Murray, senior adviser to Jeremy Corbyn

2) She libelled Rachel Riley on Twitter, then deleted her Twitter account

3) Having sold the painting, Laura will surely have no problem paying damages (that bit self-explanatory, I feel)

My tolerance for Twitter rumours and stuff is at an all time low. I feel as if anybody who owns a £50m Picasso might already have enough to pay damages. I figured when you were talking about libel and damages it was a real thing that was owed, had been through court, etc; but it seems to be something that's not actually real, at least yet?

Just now, Hank Moody said:

My tolerance for Twitter rumours and stuff is at an all time low. I feel as if anybody who owns a £50m Picasso might already have enough to pay damages. I figured when you were talking about libel and damages it was a real thing that was owed, had been through court, etc; but it seems to be something that's not actually real, at least yet?

No, it's true that the legal action is still at an early stage. Although I would say the result is pretty much a formality.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

No, it's true that the legal action is still at an early stage. Although I would say the result is pretty much a formality.

I just had a cursory glance at what was said. I think it's probably not a formality, as she's going to have a hard job proving reckless disregard for the truth and maliciousness. I think her saying 'good advice' to comments about 'not being a Nazi' at a time where Corbyn was assaulted could well be taken in a certain way. Now, I'm not saying it's completely accurate to post what that she called him that, it's clearly inaccurate to say 'she tweeted', but there's certainly room for interpretation in Riley's comments. I guess we will see. A guess would be compensatory damaged but no punitive damages. Hopefully Anubis will be along to sort this out.

Funny that, because I remember Katie Hopkins libelling Jack Monroe in a similarly clear case, and Hopkins in fact refusing the offer of an ooc settlement, and it ending up in court, because Hopkins is just as arrogant as the likes of Laura Murray.

• Upvote 2