You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brian Clough is dead.

Kopite

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3673568.stm

Indeed it's true.

I real character he was.

Have no feelings for him whatsoever

Its a shamefull almost terrible thing to say right now but I hope his 4-4-2 articles are buried with him

JFT96

On April 15th '89

What should have been a joyous time

Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss

And all the Kopites want justice (JUSTICE!)

I'm always of the opinion that it takles a far bigger man to apologise than it does to offend.

As far as I'm aware Cloughie apologised for his remarks about Hillsborough and that's good enough for me.

Yes, he was stubborn arrogant arsehole at times and was difficult and insulting,too, at times. But try telling that to a heartbroken Forest supporter today.

The 3rd greatest manager to ever grace the British game. I for one, whatver I may have thought of him whilst he alive, will miss him... in his own unique way.

RIP Brian.

Well I agree with Tom R on this one.

Just seen this on the Raotl Forum.

He admitted his mistake and publicly...

Clough admits to slur mistake

Forest's legendary former boss Brian Clough has apologised for remarks about the Hillsborough tragedy made in his 1994 autobiography.

Clough had, at the time, intimated that the loss of life was directly down to the Liverpool supporters themselves.

He has realised now, though, the offence such accusations caused to both the families of the victims and the club and it's supporters and he commented: "I had said that many Liverpool fans were drunk and they killed their own.

"That was my honest opinion at the time, but I now accept the investigations have made me realise I was misinformed.

"I wasn't trying to be vindictive or unsympathetic, but my opinion has altered over the years. It was never my intention to hurt anyone."

"I'm sure the grieving families don't need me to fan the flames again, but I would like to express my regret at the hurt I may have caused," he added.

Trevor Hicks of the Hillsborough Family Support Group said that Clough's apology was "better late than never," and added: "Along with others, he swallowed the party line and believed all the lies and mistruths. Let's hope South Yorkshire Police and others will finally also have the guts to admit they were wrong."

---------

transcribed from 4-4-2:

Now I want to make peace with some of those Liverpool fans who have been upset for years by some of my remarks in the aftermath of the Hillsbrough disaster in 1989. None of us who were there on that awful day will ever forget it. As a father of three and a proud grandfather as well, I hope nobody would doubt my grief and sadness on behalf of them poor families who lost love ones. When I retired a few years later, my autobiography dwelt for a few pages on that dreaful day. What I said in the book angered many Liverpool people. I put the blame on the Liverpool fans because I believed that if all of them had turned up on the day with tickets, and behaved in an orderly manner, then there would have been no disaster.

Those remarks were seized on by the press and my name was mud on Merseyside after that, my criticism of the police on the same page was overlooked. I said I wasn't accusing the Liverpool supporters of being thugs or hooligans, and that the police made serious errors of judgement. But that never made the front pages.

When my book was published, I did the publicity rounds as part of my contract. When I appeared on BBC's Clive Anderson show, I allowed myself to go too far when discussing Hillsborough. I said that many Liverpool fans were drunk on the day, and they killed their own. That was my honest opinion at the time -seven years ago- but I now accept that detailed investigations have made me realise I was misinformed. I wasn't trying to be vindictive or unsympathetic, but my opinion has altered over the years. The report into the disaster by Lord Justice Taylor critisised the police, clearing the Liverpool fans who arrived late of responsibility for the tragic event. A book published a couple of years ago (Hillsborough - The Truth by Phil Scraton) arrived at the same conclusion and, I understand, established beyond reasonable doubt that many of us had been ill informed when we made our judgement at the time on various statements.

Now I have said some daft things in my time, but I hope most of them have been taken in the right spirit or at least a few have had a laugh at my expense. I now accept that I went too far in giving my opinions about Hillsborough. It was never my intention to hurt anone, But I just gave an honest answer to Clive Anderson. I do accept that everyone on Merseyside hated me after that.

It was difficult for my son Nigel at the time because he was playing for Liverpool when the comments were made. At no stage did any Liverpudlian give him any grief for what I said about Hillsborough. Nigel appreciated that, and I'd like to show my gratitude as well. That showed the warmth and fairness of the folk on Merseyside. I take this opportunity to say my regret about the hurt I must have caused.

In fairness to those who aren't as sympathetic, many do not know of his apology. Had I not been aware of it then perhaps I too would have reacted similarly.

I guess it's just another case of how bad news travels faster than good.

I would like to think that those same people would now reflect and arrive at a different view point.

I was never a fan of the man. I never liked him and I'm sure I never will. But that doesn't mean I can't respect his achievements and know that football as a whole has lost a true legend today.

For once I agree with Tom also :-)

Thanks for adding the apology UMC.....

To say "Good riddance" is a disgrace rrm, you should be ashamed

sorry if i offended you utm but i'm not. "good riddance" is a lot less disgraceful than some of the things the ex mr clough wrote about us. apology notwithstanding.again sorry if i offended but thats my opinion and i think you'll find i'm entitled to it.

For once I agree with Tom also :-)

Thanks for adding the apology UMC.....

To say "Good riddance" is a disgrace rrm, you should be ashamed

Nope , just can't find it in myself to care about this - I just don't have it in me .I recognise and respect and what he's done for forest but have no feelings of sorrow for him whatsoever

330 people in a school means more to me than him

I find it sad that some people have seized on the man's death to bring up his Hillsbrough comments which he made years ago, and also apologised for years ago. Why can't they just remember him as a great football man, whose achievements with two small clubs were unique and will never be repeated.

He was also an incredible goalscorer as a player, scoring >30 league goals in 3 successive seasons.

sorry if i offended you utm but i'm not. "good riddance" is a lot less disgraceful than some of the things the ex mr clough wrote about us. apology notwithstanding.again sorry if i offended but thats my opinion and i think you'll find i'm entitled to it.

You are more than entitled to your opinion mate. I don't find your comment personally offensive, just think that its a bit too strong, to say you won't shed any tears is one thing but to say good riddnace is to say you are glad he is dead.....no matter what someone has said about anything, personally I'd never wish them dead because of it. Brian Clough made a misguided opinion and subsequently regretted it and apologised.....

RIP a true footballing legend.

Wasn't aware of that apology at all.

RIP Clough.

Fair play DT. Not many people do, and that's the saddest part.

He genuinly tried to make amends for what he said but you don't see the same kind of furor being made when someone trys to make amends.

Like cloughie, you're man enough to accept an apolgy and move on.

Anyone else?

I find it sad that some people have seized on the man's death to bring up his Hillsbrough comments which he made years ago, and also apologised for years ago. Why can't they just remember him as a great football man, whose achievements with two small clubs were unique and will never be repeated.

He was also an incredible goalscorer as a player, scoring >30 league goals in 3 successive seasons.

Well said Hermes......

Those were indeed unreserved apologies. Nicely put Tom R.

Don't want to say any more, because I don't usually comment on issues with connotations for Hillsborough.

But so soon after lfc.tv and some fans jumped on the 'Spanish scouse-baiting' business, there will likely be a minute's silence tonight. Any chance of our 'Shipman/Munich' contingent at OT respecting that?

Fragile thing a moral highground...

Those were indeed unreserved apologies. Nicely put Tom R.

Don't want to say any more, because I don't usually comment on issues with connotations for Hillsborough.

But so soon after lfc.tv and some fans jumped on the 'Spanish scouse-baiting' business, there will likely be a minute's silence tonight. Any chance of our 'Shipman/Munich' contingent at OT respecting that?

Fragile thing a moral highground...

Thats a good point Rich, I dread the thought of a minutes silence tonight.......

No. Im sorry but im actually happy.

This apology, did he donate any proceeds from his book to any Hillsbrough fund? You know, the book where he said if everyone had behaved/had ticket/not drunk then everything would have been hunky dory? Did he?

I punched the air with glee when me dad told me before. Im sick of this fucking pc world where we all have to behave so nice and say nice things. Its getting to be like an old boys club on this forum. Did clough afford us any pc moments? Did he fuck. Oh but it was alright coz he apologised for the grief, anguish and utter pain he caused family and friends of the 96. Get real.

Lifes a shitter sometimes and it doesnt make anyone less of a person for saying clough is a twat.

He sold books with that drivel in it. As has been mentioned he was an upstanding member of the management world, hunderds of thousands would have looked up to him. Hundreds of thousands would have believed the utter shite he came out with. Hundreds of thousands wouldnt have known about the 'apology'.

Stop licking each others arses and say what you think. And please dont come back at me with you are all reasoned individuals and im some kind of neanderthal. The man was a grade A fucking cunt.

Yes im sorry for his family but thats more than he gave to the families of the 96. And for me the families and the memories are far more important than that twat. I hope he's burning right now.

If any of you dont like what i say then, by your reckoning, i could just fucking apologise and we'd all be friends again.