You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squash

Bjornebye

Took it up again 2 months ago, having not played for 10 years. It's great; hard work, good cardio and social. I'm not very good, although quite fit which helps, and I'm playing with a few guys that have played to a decent level for a few years which makes it a bit demoralising. However they're great for getting a few tips from and coupled with alternating my sessions against someone more at my level, I'm hoping I'll see improvements soon.

Seems I'm wasn't the only one who hadn't played it in over 10 years. I wasn't especially good at it (I was much better at badminton, and miles better at table tennis) but it was fun and a good workout like you say. The place I used to go had 5 squash courts. 4 of them were proper rooms with solid walls on each side, and the fifth had a perspex wall on one side with a seating area - the show court as it were. I remember one guy who was playing on the show court going mental and smashing his racket repeatedly against the perspex, presumably having lost a game. It looked like he thought it was glass and wanted to smash it in.

Provided you're playing with someone of a similar standard, it's great. Otherwise the points are really short, so it's hard to get any kind of benefit out of it fitness-wise.

If you get someone at your level and can have a game with lots of rallies, it can be great fun.

Seems I'm wasn't the only one who hadn't played it in over 10 years. I wasn't especially good at it (I was much better at badminton, and miles better at table tennis) but it was fun and a good workout like you say. The place I used to go had 5 squash courts. 4 of them were proper rooms with solid walls on each side, and the fifth had a perspex wall on one side with a seating area - the show court as it were. I remember one guy who was playing on the show court going mental and smashing his racket repeatedly against the perspex, presumably having lost a game. It looked like he thought it was glass and wanted to smash it in.

Ive never played but I was also half decent at Badminton and Table Tennis. Really liked Table Tennis in my youth too.

Squash looks like hell!

I remember years ago playing squash against our little fat MD. Not being the type to roll over and being half his age, I fucking went for him. The bastard murdered me, he just stood there in the middle of the court pinging it about, whilst i sprinted all over the place. I havent played since.

Got a table tennis table, love it, it does help being good at it.

I'm partial to the odd glass. Lemon or lime or indeed a combo of the two.

I don't play squash because I'm not a big enough twat to sit in the club bar afterwards with a pint of orange juice and a towel around my shoulders pretending I'm more important at my work than I am.

I play at Absot Country Club. Same place I work out. I sit at the bar and quaff. I want to shag the lunch-time barmaids fucking face in. 

Going to play once a week , not sure about it being good for social because I nearly wrapped my racquet around my best mates head the fucking cunt

I'm sure I kept Mike Ashley in business the amount of rackets I used to break throwing at the wall in a temper.

That said, I was never tempted to whack my mate as my policy was always to take my preferred shot on if he was in the way, in the "hope" that he'd be out of the way when the ball got to him.

Nine times out of ten he wasn't. Serves him right.

• Upvote 1