You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Or, he was good for awhile - and not the Captain -  and then was put into a role that admittedly is not his best - as the Captain -  and he was not very good at it. He improved at it. But was still for the most part sub-par in that role. 

Two other players brought in by Klopp looked pretty good in that role - so his spot was no longer guaranteed. Some folks are not fans with the idea of a Captain not being one of the first names on the sheet. And he wasn't. Still may not be but at least now he has a chance to perform in his best position.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

But was still for the most part sub-par in that role. 

Sub par for what?

For getting us to a CL Final?  For getting us top of the league competing with City this season?

I think Fabinho is better & the future.  I think Henderson is best as an 8.

But suggesting he is sub par as a 6.  When we concede the least amount of goals in Europe.  Protect our defence better than any side in Europe.  I cannot agree with!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Or, he was good for awhile - and not the Captain -  and then was put into a role that admittedly is not his best - as the Captain -  and he was not very good at it. He improved at it. But was still for the most part sub-par in that role. 

Two other players brought in by Klopp looked pretty good in that role - so his spot was no longer guaranteed. Some folks are not fans with the idea of a Captain not being one of the first names on the sheet. And he wasn't. Still may not be but at least now he has a chance to perform in his best position.

Doesn’t scan perfectly to “We all dream of a team of Joe Allens”, but keep at it.

3 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Sub par for what?

For getting us to a CL Final?  For getting us top of the league competing with City this season?

But suggesting he is sub par as a 6.  When we concede the least amount of goals in Europe.  Protect our defence better than any side in Europe.  I cannot agree with!

In the same way that Djimi Traore won us the Champions League, then you're spot on. It wasn't Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, but Traore. It wasn't Salah, Mane, and Firmino scoring more than any other strike force in the history of the competition that got us there, it was Hendo in the 8. 

It's like the fucking twicunt zone in here sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I like what you are smoking over there.

I do think he was one of our weakest cogs in that role and that in Europe Milner and Wiji played fantastically.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

In the same way that Djimi Traore won us the Champions League, then you're spot on. 

It's like the fucking twicunt zone in here sometimes. 

Yes in a cup competition players can raise their game, fair comment.

In a league competition, where he play more often than not & we are challenging arguably the greatest PL team ever.  I'd suggest calling him sub par, when our defensive record is elite & the 6 has a big part in that, is tosh!

Anyway NV, you should be very quiet, we might start bumping up your old Joe Allen posts soon otherwise!! Haha

3 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Yes in a cup competition players can raise their game, fair comment.

In a league competition, where he play more often than not & we are challenging arguably the greatest PL team ever.  I'd suggest calling him sub par, when our defensive record is elite & the 6 has a big part in that, is tosh!

Anyway NV, you should be very quiet, we might start bumping up your old Joe Allen posts soon otherwise!! Haha

No idea what Joe Allen has to do with anything, but we can play that game if you want to, LFD. We can play the 'bump things that LFD said' game all day long. Your point was utterly fucking ridiculous. Hendo getting us to the CL final and getting us to the top of the league... fucking hell. It's a wonder the other players step on the pitch. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

My opinion mate - thats the discussion.

He aint been the 6 this season in the league but half the time, if that.

OK, thought you might expand on it.

He's played a fair chunk of games as the 6.  He plays more often than not for us.

Our team is fucking incredible, yet we are calling one of our regulars sub par - come on! 

For me, the dislike at times has stemmed from him being here for a long time and never really improving. Just kind of got tired of him.

Now, though, there's freshness to his game in a new position. We're seeing things from him we haven't really seen and it's nice.

The only thing I'll say on the criticism is the people who wanted him stripped of his captaincy were/are crazy. If there's one way to ruin team chemistry it's to do that. Also, the list of recent Premier League winning captains isn't great to say the least: a crocked Vinny Kompany, Gary Cahill and Wes Morgan. It's quasi symbolic and meaningless at this point.

Just now, LF:D said:

we are calling one of our regulars sub par

No, 'we' are not. One person did. Then you said that he got us to the CL final and he got us to the top of the league. You, in order to counter one point, decided to diminish the contribution of the likes of Van Dijk, Salah, Mane and Firmino in order to stick up for a player you have lost all objectivity about. 

I'm just glad he's playing well further forward. The more he does that the better it is for the club.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No idea what Joe Allen has to do with anything, but we can play that game if you want to, LFD. We can play the 'bump things that LFD said' game all day long. Your point was utterly fucking ridiculous. Hendo getting us to the CL final and getting us to the top of the league... fucking hell. It's a wonder the other players step on the pitch. 

Someone brought up the endless debates on here about people rating him over Henderson.

You were definitely one of them, that's how it came up.

No we can't bump it up, I'm not that mean.

You don't be a regular in the best team we've had in 30 years in you're sub par!

Time Henderson got some respect & judged fairly.  Guess it won't happen unless he lifts a trophy, sadly.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For me, the dislike at times has stemmed from him being here for a long time and never really improving. Just kind of got tired of him.

Now, though, there's freshness to his game in a new position. We're seeing things from him we haven't really seen and it's nice.

The only thing I'll say on the criticism is the people who wanted him stripped of his captaincy were/are crazy. If there's one way to ruin team chemistry it's to do that. Also, the list of recent Premier League winning captains isn't great to say the least: a crocked Vinny Kompany, Gary Cahill and Wes Morgan. It's quasi symbolic and meaningless at this point.

You make a fair point, although lots of top quality captains have also won it. I still want VVD to be the Captain. Henderson doesn't start all the game and I think the Captain should be somebody who is definitely on the pitch all the time. 

When Hendo played as the holding midfielder all of his detractors would use the lack of assists/goals as a stick to beat him with.  You would regularly see people criticise him for this.  Somehow I don't think they will use the same argument now that Fabinho is playing there.  They will show more leniency.  That's the sort of double standards nonsense Hendo has had to tolerate for years, and that's just one small example of the inherent bias against him that seems to be embedded in our fanbase.

I completely disagree with the notion that most fans hold a "middle of the road" view of him.  He's one of those players who has polarised debate for years. 

1 minute ago, LF:D said:

Someone brought up the endless debates on here about people rating him over Henderson.

You were definitely one of them, that's how it came up.

No we can't bump it up, I'm not that mean.

You don't be a regular in the best team we've had in 30 years in you're sub par!

Time Henderson got some respect & judged fairly.  Guess it won't happen unless he lifts a trophy, sadly.

And you think that's what you're doing by saying HE got us to the CL final and HE got us to the top of the table, do you? Judging him fairly? 

Feel free to bump my Allen posts. I liked Allen. I like Sahin too. Then for each of those ones, I'm sure you'll be bumping the other 20 that I called right. Because, you know, you're all about fair judgement. Right? 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)