You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst of the TLW Era - YOU decide: Centre midfield

tlw content

And there's the rub.

This "he was only poo for us" argument has cropped up a fair bit on these threads.  It makes no sense to me.  We could sign Jimmy Greaves tomorrow; the fact that he was a great player for someone else wouldn't make it a good signing for Liverpool.

Aquilani will go down as one of the worst signings we've ever made. Why? Because he's one of the worst players we've ever had? Clearly not. Who he replaced, his injury record, and our ridiculous loaning him out for two seasons, then predictably getting fuck all back for him is why he'll go down as one of our worst signings.

I quite liked Salif, even though he was shit. He was also the mastermind behind Fowler's "grass chewing" celebration according to Houllier.

Also, an absolute brick shithouse and the proud owner of an absolutely massive weapon, one would imagine.

Aquilani was a disaster, injured mostly and shit when he played, although you could see he was probably quite decent. Poulsen...well, need I go on.

Alberto and Christian for me.

Diao & Poulson.

At least Aquiliani & Cheyrou scored a couple of goals for us.

Big Sal scored a couple for us too, he actually did ok for us in the early part of 2002/03 but as time went on he looked way out of his depth.

Poulsen has to be in the midfield (Alongside Jovanovic and Cole? Thanks Hodgson) and I went for Aquilani alongside him. He had ability but cost a fortune and only played about 10 games with only 1 or 2 good ones.

Just been checking on Google to make sure I remember it right and we actually bought Poulsen from Juventus a couple of weeks before loaning them Aqualini. We didn't think it might be sensible to do what they did and loan him first with an option to buy or try to tie signing him in as part of the Aqualini deal. Instead we actually bought Poulsen and tied him up to a 3 year contract and then a couple of weeks later let them plead poverty over signing Aqualini and loan him there for a season with an option to buy that they had no obligation to actually go through with. The fee for Poulsen was reported as 4.5 million. Maybe Juventus paid some sort of loan fee for Aqualini but even if they had it wouldn't have been that much (and knowing us we probably cheerfully paid half his wages for them too) so we effectively ended up paying them money to take a past his best player they no longer wanted off their hands and giving them a much younger player whose stock in Italy was still high at the time in return. We really have been laughably bad at this transfer business for years haven't we?

Anyway I went for Poulsen and Diao. Poulsen was certainly the easiest pick as I don't remember him having even one half decent game for us whereas the others all at least had the very occasional good game. Diao then just taking second place for being a bit of a donkey but there wasn't really much in it. All very disappointing signings.

Aquilani and Poulsen for me. Poulsen was a decent player about four years before he came here but as someone else said, just reminds me of Hodgson. 

The other choice was tricky, but I went for Aquilani based on the fee. Back then 20M was a lot of money and we should have rightly expected a much better player.