You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Team for Chelsea

thompsonsnose

Has Sturridge definitely been ruled out for this?

It would be such a huge lift if we could get around 60 minutes out of him on Saturday.

This is a huge selection dilemma for Rodgers. If he leaves out both the captain and vice captain, then this proves that both players have been dropped, not rested. It would be a huge statement to drop Gerrard, Henderson, Lovren and Sterling, arguably the first four names on the team sheet before the season started.

For the first time in ages I'm really struggling who to pick and who to leave out.

I'd love to see a front four of Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana. I think we would have to play two from Henderson, Can, Gerrard, Allen and Lucas and I would go with Henderson and Can, with Lucas to come on if either get injured or if Can starts to tire. 

I hate the idea of dropping Gerrard, as he has come back and proved the doubters wrong many times in his career before, it just really feels like we are coming to the end of the Gerrard era now. I think his age, and the devastation of missing out have really taken it out of him. I really hope he proves me wrong, but its just a bad feeling I get.

Getting back on topic for the back 5 I'd keep it the same as the Madrid game. I wish we had either Flannagan or Wisdom for this as both Manquillo and Johnsen concern me for different reasons. I'd pick Manquillo though, as it's obvious that Johnson won't be here next season, so should play as little as possible.   

Think Rodgers may be in for a grilling by the press after the game if we lose this one, especially if all the players he left out on tuesday come back into the side and we serve up a shitfest.

Fuck the press.  Fuck them up their stupid asses.  Who honestly gives a shit what bilge they come up with ?  If he's got anything to worry about, it's the fans & FSG.

Fuck Chelski and Maureen too.  I agree with bounce, smash these cunts.

Dont give a fuck what the press say, bunch of twats the lot of em.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists he cannot play 'Fantasy Football' with his team while attempting to justify his decision to field a weakened side against Real Madrid in the Champions League.

Liverpool lost 1-0 at the Bernabeu, with Rodgers making seven changes from the XI that lost to Newcastle on Saturday, including dropping Steven Gerrard, but says his job is to focus on the strength of the squad.

Saturday's game against Chelsea will be Liverpool's seventh in 21 days. 

1415280717034_wps_23_LIVERPOOL_ENGLAND_N

Mario Balotelli (left) laughs as he chases after team-mate Jordan Henderson (right) in training on Thursday

1415281884069_wps_26_LIVERPOOL_ENGLAND_N

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard (right) takes part in a training drill at Melwood ahead of facing Chelsea

1415281888766_wps_27_LIVERPOOL_ENGLAND_N

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers appeared in good spirits despite his side's defeat to Real Madrid on Tuesday

He said: 'The players justified the team selection. This is not Fantasy Football.

'It's not on a computer, we are playing these games. We will have had seven games in 21 days. My job is to focus on our games.'

Rodgers also revealed Gerrard had a scan on his hamstring the day before the Madrid game, which may have influenced his decision.

'It might be hard for some people to understand because you are not privy to the information that I am.

'Steven had a scan on his hamstring on the Monday before we went.

'I put out the best team to get a result. I thought the players were magnificent. I know there has been criticism but it does the players a disservice.

'The idea was to stay in the game for 65 minutes. We then wanted to open them up in the last 25 minutes with Steven's [Gerrard] passing. 

Simon Mignolet will be looking to continue the form he showed against Real when Liverpool face Chelsea

Gerrard shows off his free-kick technique as Philippe Coutinho (left), Balotelli and Henderson look on

'Kolo [Toure], Lucas [Leiva] and [Adam] Lallana were outstanding. You can't call them reserves.'

Meanwhile, Rodgers' summer signing Divock Origi will be returning to Merseyside on Thursday night with Lille, the striker having been loaned back to the French side for the season.

His side face Everton in the Europa League and Rodgers revealed he is in touch with the highly-rated, 19-year-old Belgian.

'We are in regular contact with the kid. He is a wonderful talent and I see all his games.

'He is a big talent and when he plays in France we get the games downloaded.

'We have to respect that he is concentrating on his club and he has an important game.'

Raheem Sterling (left) and Glen Johnson share a joke as Liverpool prepare to host Jose Mourinho's side

While his decision drew huge criticism from pundits and former professionals, Rodgers' players appeared in good spirits as they were put through their paces on Thursday.

Mario Balotelli, who spent the entirety of Wednesday's game in Madrid sat on the bench, looked particularly happy as he grappled with Jordan Henderson during a drill.

The controversial Italian, who is yet to score a Premier League goal this season after moving to Anfield from AC Milan for £16million in the summer, will know there's no better time for him to break his duck than against John Terry and Co a the weekend.

Rodgers himself was also laughing and joking with his players after a difficult few days on and off the pitch.

He is set to recall key players including Gerrard, Raheem Sterling and Henderson, all of whom were rested against Madrid, when Chelsea visit Merseyside.

1415281943169_wps_32_LIVERPOOL_ENGLAND_N

Defender Lovren (centre) hugs team-mates Johnson (left) and Balotelli (right) in the rain

1415281949970_wps_33_LIVERPOOL_ENGLAND_N

Liverpoo midfielder Henderson (left) holds off Balotelli as the pair race during a drill on Thursday

Kolo Toure, who has played himself into contention for a starting spot against Chelsea after a fine performance in the defeat by Carlo Ancelotti's side, has questioned whether the current league leaders are capable of going the whole season unbeaten.

'Chelsea have a good team,' said Toure, who was part of Arsenal's Invincibles in 2003. 'With the squad they have of course they can do it, but its not the only quality. It is about mentality. Every game is challenging and sometimes things don't go well for you but you need to be able to come back and carry on fighting. The season has just started. We will see. 

Henderson attempts a free-kick round the metal wall during the session at Melwood

Toure (centre) is not convinced that Chelsea will go the entire season unbeaten as Arsenal did in 2003

The Reds host Premier League leaders Chelsea at Anfield on Saturday afternoon, kick-off 12.45

'It's a great chance (to end the argument)! But the most important thing is we want to win the game. It's a very important game when you think what they did to us last season. That cost us the league and now we have the chance to beat them. I can't wait for that.

'Every game for Liverpool you want to win and Chelsea are playing well now. When you play at home in a game like that it is going to be attacking teams. Chelsea attack and Liverpool attack as well. I think you are going to see a great game. We want to win

'This season they will attack. With the players they have they can't defend all the time. I think they will just try to score and we will try to score. It's going to be a great game, definitely.'

1415285482066_wps_24_Lille_s_Belgium_for

Divock Origi is loan at Lille from Liverpool after signing for Rodgers' side in the summer

For me: 

-------------------------Mig----------------------

Manquillo-----Skrtel----Toure-----Moreno

--------------------Gerrard----------------------- 

-----------Henderson------Lallana-----------

---Marko-----------------------------Sterling--

---------------------Borini------------------------

If we are to however, we need some sort of focal point to occupy Cahill/Terry. Balotelli is our only forward player to have some of the physical tools to do that, and even if he hasn't been scoring goals for us, he'll have more chance of an impact

Fair point. When they pack the penalty area with Cahill/Terry/Matic/Ivanovic and now Courtois, like they did last season, they are physically imposing and impenetrable. No cross in the air will survive that unless someone is determined to win it. If he plays. Balotelli will have to risk his body a bit.

----------Mig----------

Manq--Toure--Lovren--Enrique

-------Can---Lucas-------

--------Lallana--------

Sterling-------Markovic

--------Borini-----------

I think we should return the favour to Chelsea who so kindly sat 8 men behind the ball when they visited us last year. Gerrard should be nowhere near this team, he'd get destroyed by Matic and he'd constantly be thinking about what happened last year.

----------Mig----------

--------Lallana--------

Sterling-------Markovic

I think we should return the favour to Chelsea who so kindly sat 8 men behind the ball when they visited us last year. Gerrard should be nowhere near this team, he'd get destroyed by Matic and he'd constantly be thinking about what happened last year.

Lovren & Enrique? You want us to be embarrassed?

Have we got 10 defenders? Lets park the bus against these lot and then listen to that shitstain after the match say how its wrong.

Here's a preview of what he'd have to say:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-accuses-west-ham-of-playing-football-from-the-19th-century--but-sam-allardyce-doesnt-give-a-s-9094639.html

Id go

Mignolet

Manquillo

Toure

Lovren

Moreno

Lucas

Lallana

Can

Gerrard

Borini

Balotelli

I know Lovren hasn't played well but let's see him better protection from our midfield and with Toure next to him doing all the talking and organising, taking the pressure away from him and let him focus on his own game for a while. Skrtel has been just as bad as Lovren this season.

A midfield diamond of Gerrard at the tip, where by any means necessary keep him and Lucas away from each other. Or Coutinho instead of Gerrard.

----------Mig----------

--------Lallana--------

Sterling-------Markovic

Fucking hell, that excuse of yours not to play Gerrard has to take the biscuit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mig

Manquillo     Skrtl     Toure    Moreno

Can

Henderson                     Allen

Gerrard

Lambert              Balotelli

Not a lot of pace but very solid.

Toure has earned the right to play so starts ahead of Lovren.

Gerrard to push up onto Matic. He might not have the pace but will stand up physically. Keep the cunt busy.

Can to keep an eye on Fabregas. Big ask I know but we'll never know unless he gets the chance.

Henderson and Allen supporting the full backs.

Lambert to torment Terry making room for Balotelli to net the goals in a 2-0 victory

The simmering enmity between Chelsea andLiverpool has resurfaced ahead of the teams’ meeting at Anfield on Saturday after Nemanja Matic suggested sides must “know how to defend” to deliver the solidity which so infuriated the Merseyside club in the corresponding fixture back in April.

The visitors’ 2-0 success that day brought to a juddering halt Liverpool’s 11-match winning streak, and effectively wrested the destiny of the Premier League title from their hands, with Brendan Rodgers subsequently disdainful of José Mourinho’s methods in securing the victory. His post-match comments tested the pair’s friendship, with the Liverpool manager claiming Chelsea had “parked two buses, never mind one” and that it was “not hard to coach 10 players to be on the edge of the 18-yard box”.

Advertisement

Luis Suárez, in his autobiography released on Thursday, even claimed one of Chelsea’s players had expressed misgivings about Mourinho’s time-wasting tactics during the game. The Liverpool manager subsequently contacted Mourinho to clarify his comments and congratulate him on the win, though his own side, who have won only once in five matches in all competitions, remain defensively vulnerable despite spending £43m on Dejan Lovren, Alberto Moreno and the loanee Javi Manquillo in the summer.

“Many teams this season have tried to park the bus in front of the goal against us, but we win,” said Matic. “It’s not easy. If you defend, you have to know how to defend. In that game (in April) we showed we have quality. Nobody’s happy when you lose a game, and they weren’t happy after that match.

Advertisement

“Now is a different story, and we play a different way, but I’m happy because we play a big game on Saturday. We will see how we are going to play. I am surprised to see where Liverpool are, of course. They have a good team and I didn’t expect that they would be in this position. But we are ready, we are first in the table and we want to stay there.”

Liverpool’s toils to date this term have already left them trailing the leaders by 12 points with Chelsea hoping to establish a club record 17-match unbeaten start to a campaign in all competitions on Saturday. Roles have very much been reversed from the spring, when Rodgers had appeared to be on the verge of delivering his club’s first league title since 1990, his team carrying all before them, only for momentum to be checked by Mourinho and Manchester City’s late burst of form to reclaim the championship at the death.

“Last season was completely different from this one,” said Matic’s compatriot, Branislav Ivanovic. “It was three games to go, they were fighting for the title and they wanted to win – they struggled in a must-win. Now it is different. We are top of the table, we are going there knowing it will be difficult, but also that our team knows how to win there. It will be a very exciting game, but we know what we have to do. We have a lot of things to do to be successful and get points from Anfield.”

Chelsea returned to their Surrey base in the small hours of Thursday after their unimpressive 1-1 draw against Maribor and, with a warm-down and recovery session scheduled for the afternoon, will have only one day to undertake specific preparations ahead of the televised lunchtime kick-off on Merseyside. While Mourinho has been critical of the scheduling, with Liverpool benefiting from an extra 24 hours’ rest since their defeat at Real Madrid, his squad remain realistic.

“We still have two days to recover, this is usual, and it’s not our first time to play that,” added Ivanovic. “We know [how to prepare] and we are professional, and we have to do a lot of things to be ready for that game. It’s one of the massive, crucial games for us and for this kind of game you always have to find extra motivation. It’s not about the tightness or fitness.

“The Maribor game is a reminder [that standards must be maintained]. We cannot relax and know how our performance has to be to get the points. If we play against Liverpool like we did in Slovenia, we know it’s not possible.”