You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Safe Standing.

Salou

Are you saying it safe as is?

All im saying is that with people standing with tbe cramped spaces with seats i think its safer to have the same safe standing they have in Germany

And Im saying people are making it dangerous standing all game when they should be sitting. I leap out of my seat at times during the games which is what the club accepts.

There are kids who cant see over adults standing all game and older people who cant stand all game in the Kop.

• Downvote 1

And Im saying people are making it dangerous standing all game when they should be sitting. I leap out of my seat at times during the games which is what the club accepts.

There are kids who cant see over adults standing all game and older people who cant stand all game in the Kop.

How are people making it dangerous by standing all game ? The only thing dangerous at Anfield is the lack of legroom in the three oldest stands. 

How are people making it dangerous by standing all game ? The only thing dangerous at Anfield is the lack of legroom in the three oldest stands. 

Because they're standing in a seated area DD. And as I said, older people cant stand all game, kids cant see if adults are stood all game either. But apparently, older people and kids shouldnt go the 'big' games according to one.

It was not just me saying that either

I dont think we ever see it at Anfield but imho safe standing is safer than what we have now with all seater and people standing

Reality is people do stand...if a way to allow people to stand who want to stand can be found and it safer than the current situation - and those who don't want to or aren't able to stand aren't affected then the club should in my view look at it

...even given the very large issue that we all know our club has to keep front of mind...

• Upvote 1

What if they are STH's or Child and Adult tickets? Why should older and younger fans miss out on those games?

They know the Kop will be stood for a few games a season if it bothered them that much I'm sure they'd have re located there ST.

I've never heard anyone bring this up before I'm not sure this is as big enough an issue to enforce the whole Kop to sit for the entire Manc and Everton game.

They know the Kop will be stood for a few games a season if it bothered them that much I'm sure they'd have re located there ST.

I've never heard anyone bring this up before I'm not sure this is as big enough an issue to enforce the whole Kop to sit for the entire Manc and Everton game.

Or, better still, introduce an area where it is permissible to stand and people who prefer this option get tickets for that area. Much easier to enforce people to sit if there is a standing option elsewhere.

I know it is a very sensitive area and I do not wish to upset anyone but the disaster happened, not because people were standing, but because too many people were in an enclosed area. Restricting numbers by allocating fans a specific piece of the terrace (a seat) solves this issue but it isnt necessary to make them sit.

They 'know' they are buying a 'seat' to sit in. No one is saying you cannot or shouldnt stand up during periods of play during a game. I do it at times. I dont stand all the game though in a seated area.

But its a bit crass to suggest older people who've been going the game since they were kids or that kids should be fucked off out of their normal seat because we are playing united, everton and one or two other clubs.

Because they're standing in a seated area DD. And as I said, older people cant stand all game, kids cant see if adults are stood all game either. But apparently, older people and kids shouldnt go the 'big' games according to one.

It was not just me saying that either

So what makes it dangerous ? The seats upturn and you actually have more legroom when standing than you do when sitting. The seats in the three oldest stands are so cramped its a its a fucking obstacle  course when trying to get in or out of your seat and that's when people stand to let you pass. There's laws in place to prevent animals being kept in the confined spaces we have to sit/stand in at Anfield.

They 'know' they are buying a 'seat' to sit in. No one is saying you cannot or shouldnt stand up during periods of play during a game. I do it at times. I dont stand all the game though in a seated area.

But its a bit crass to suggest older people who've been going the game since they were kids or that kids should be fucked off out of their normal seat because we are playing united, everton and one or two other clubs.

I'm quite sure that doesn't apply for everyone. I'd bet there are lots who are buying a ticket to enter the ground and to watch the game first. The fact the price includes a seat will be secondary to them. You forget we also don't have any other option. It's either buy a ticket with a seat or tough shit. The club make a fortune off the back of the atmosphere the Kop created. Its not something that is generated by people sitting down. They're quite happy to turn a blind eye for the big games when its quite known and acceptable to stand.

Anyone who travels to away games regularly will tell you they buy a ticket for the game and not the seat. The only time the seat is used is at half time.

Tickets for the Kop should be sold with a prefix 'Please note standing is allowed in this part of the stadium and therefore we can not guarantee an unobscured view of the pitch'. I guarantee you they'll still sell them at the same price.

Next time you have to stand through a big game at Anfield, go and ask for your money back because you weren't able too view the game from a seated position. Post their reply on here. 

• Upvote 1

So what makes it dangerous ? The seats upturn and you actually have more legroom when standing than you do when sitting. The seats in the three oldest stands are so cramped its a its a fucking obstacle  course when trying to get in or out of your seat and that's when people stand to let you pass. There's laws in place to prevent animals being kept in the confined spaces we have to sit/stand in at Anfield.

I'm quite sure that doesn't apply for everyone. I'd bet there are lots who are buying a ticket to enter the ground and to watch the game first. The fact the price includes a seat will be secondary to them. You forget we also don't have any other option. It's either buy a ticket with a seat or tough shit. The club make a fortune off the back of the atmosphere the Kop created. Its not something that is generated by people sitting down. They're quite happy to turn a blind eye for the big games when its quite known and acceptable to stand.

Anyone who travels to away games regularly will tell you they buy a ticket for the game and not the seat. The only time the seat is used is at half time.

Tickets for the Kop should be sold with a prefix 'Please note standing is allowed in this part of the stadium and therefore we can not guarantee an unobscured view of the pitch'. I guarantee you they'll still sell them at the same price.

Next time you have to stand through a big game at Anfield, go and ask for your money back because you weren't able too view the game from a seated position. Post their reply on here. 

Dougie. You know as well as I do that many people say standing in the seated area is more dangerous than having no seats. Flasheart said as much.

• Upvote 1

So that's you and Flashheart so far then.

No. Loads of people used it as a reasoning to remove seats and re instate standing after Lord Taylor's report. Do they all have to have said it on one internet forum? I must have missed that particular requirement.

I appreciate lots of fans want to re instate standing. I stood for years on the Kop, paddock and Anny Road but those days have gone.

• Downvote 1

No. Loads of people used it as a reasoning to remove seats and re instate standing after Lord Taylor's report. Do they all have to have said it on one internet forum? I must have missed that particular requirement.

I appreciate lots of fans want to re instate standing. I stood for years on the Kop, paddock and Anny Road but those days have gone.

So why deny other fans the opportunity to enjoy the type of atmosphere only generated when standing in a crowd? We could easily make the central sections of the Kop safe standing and anyone too old or too young to enjoy it can sit in the other 90% of the stadium.

Does anyone seriously think that FSG are going to rip up the Kop just so that the fans can stand at a game? The same FSG that won't redevelop the Anfield Road stand because it doesn't make business sense....

Ayre told a meeting of Liverpool Supporters' Committee (LSC) that it was "not a smart investment for the business".

So why deny other fans the opportunity to enjoy the type of atmosphere only generated when standing in a crowd? We could easily make the central sections of the Kop safe standing and anyone too old or too young to enjoy it can sit in the other 90% of the stadium.

Its not me denying anyone. Im merely stating my position on the subject that a few people here want to take issue with.

I'm not saying they should be fucked off but they have a choice, I'd like to see evidence that this is actualy an issue for the few games a season the whole Kop stands.

Someone who's had a ST there whole life on the Kop knows better than anyone what to expect when they renew for that area of the ground. I'm sure they're not going to expect the whole Kop to sit through big games all of a sudden because they can't stand the whole game.

How many complaints have been made to the club etc? The atmosphere for these big games is bad enough sometimes with the early kick offs without enforcing a zero tolerance on standing.

I'm not saying they should be fucked off but they have a choice, I'd like to see evidence that this is actualy an issue for the few games a season the whole Kop stands.

Someone who's had a ST there whole life on the Kop knows better than anyone what to expect when they renew for that area of the ground. I'm sure they're not going to expect the whole Kop to sit through big games all of a sudden because they can't stand the whole game.

How many complaints have been made to the club etc? The atmosphere for these big games is bad enough sometimes with the early kick offs without enforcing a zero tolerance on standing.

I doubt there are many complaints probably because if people did, they know the club runs the risk of having its safety certificate for that stand queried by the council.

But you're missing the point. The club is responsible for people in the ground and has to comply with its safety certificate issued by the council. A condition of the safety certificate is that people dont stand all the time during a game.

In other words, it isnt optional to stand all the game.

I doubt there are many complaints probably because if people did, they know the club runs the risk of having its safety certificate for that stand queried by the council.

But you're missing the point. The club is responsible for people in the ground and has to comply with its safety certificate issued by the council. A condition of the safety certificate is that people dont stand all the time during a game.

In other words, it isnt optional to stand all the game.

I haven't been on the Kop for a few seasons now, but I'm prety sure the 305/304/306 still stand for the whole game every game.

What about these blocks which has been prety much an unofficial standing section for years?

• 3 months later...

It's inevitably going to happen in the Premier League.

Celtic have a section. Shrewsbury have applied to have it. Spurs have designed for it. The Premier League are open to the idea and West Brom are to pilot it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40413087

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40391764

Should we embrace it or should we never allow it at Anfield?

It's inevitably going to happen in the Premier League.

Celtic have a section. Shrewsbury have applied to have it. Spurs have designed for it. The Premier League are open to the idea and West Brom are to pilot it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40413087

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40391764

Should we embrace it or should we never allow it at Anfield?

I feel pretty sure safe standing will not be the reason for a new football disaster. Congestion was the reason for the Hillsborough tragedy. Whether people are standing or not isn’t the problem IMO. If a new tragedy were to occur somewhere it will be because of something we haven’t been able to anticipate.

Personally I fear a bit about fans jumping up and down simultaneously as we’ve seen from some stadiums around the world. When 10K people jump together like this it’s severely challenging the building structure. I fear a stand somewhere could collapse one day.

I guess not allowing to stand would prevent this, but in principle I can’t see a problem with safe standing.

I feel pretty sure safe standing will not be the reason for a new football disaster. Congestion was the reason for the Hillsborough tragedy. Whether people are standing or not isn’t the problem IMO. If a new tragedy were to occur somewhere it will be because of something we haven’t been able to anticipate.

Personally I fear a bit about fans jumping up and down simultaneously as we’ve seen from some stadiums around the world. When 10K people jump together like this it’s severely challenging the building structure. I fear a stand somewhere could collapse one day.

I guess not allowing to stand would prevent this, but in principle I can’t see a problem with safe standing.

This is the problem with the 'safe standing' debate; celtic have under 3000 such seats, seriously, how many are shrewsbury going to have?

Then the call for a few thousand becomes "let's have 10,000, oh wait, let's return the whole stand to 'safe standing'" etc, etc.

i dont believe there's a danger of a stand collapsing unless you're talking eastern europe of Africa for example.

That said, my personal opinion is no, not at Anfield but I guess we'll be swamped by the tide of opinion.