You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help with New York...

Flying Pig

I've gone and booked* a holiday in NYC next July 2014 and now have the slight worry of organising (paying for) flights to the Big Apple. I've heard various ideas about waiting 3 months before my arrival or booking asap 11 months before my holiday and am looking for advice when is the best time to arrange the flights etc. Cheers in advance, "Yo in the 'hood"!

*booking.com, so I don't pay til we arrive so can cancel.

Been twice, first time I booked well in advance and got them cheaper than they ever went and second time I booked a month before and got them cheaper than my mate who booked the same flight 7 months earlier. I recommend just checking skyscanner every other week (easier with the iPhone app). They will no doubt have sales a few months before though so it's up to you if you want to hang on but I don't know how much you're getting quoted right now, anything less than 400 snap then up, 400-450 is what I'd be expecting to pay at best.

Also keep an eye on Holiday Pirates as they often post good flight deals to New York but usually a few months before the leaving date.

I went both times in June, the weather was mostly boss and it's the best city in the world (I'm not listening to any debates).

Good luck mate.

I've gone and booked* a holiday in NYC next July 2014 and now have the slight worry of organising (paying for) flights to the Big Apple. I've heard various ideas about waiting 3 months before my arrival or booking asap 11 months before my holiday and am looking for advice when is the best time to arrange the flights etc. Cheers in advance' date=' "Yo in the 'hood"!

*booking.com, so I don't pay til we arrive so can cancel.[/quote']

Mate

You'll love it. I work up there a couple of days a week. July is hot but humid. Found some great bars and restaurants off the typical tourist trails. I'll be happy to share if you want details. Meanwhile I'll do some further reconnaissance.

Thanks lads, all great advice. I'll keep checking the sites you recommended. I've never been to NY but my dad went over 10 times during his life and actually died on holiday there in 2007 so it's going to be emotional as well as interesting for me. My Dad thought it was the best place in the world and I'm looking forward to finding out if he's right.

It's a great place. By all means get off the tourist trail, but don't neglect the well know sights as they are boss. I'm talking Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square etc.

If you can snare a good deal around Times Square it probably is the best place to stay as it is central to everything and walkable to the Upper and Lower areas, although the metro may be easier in some cases. Upper West Side is also lovely as it is near Central Park, though it is a little quieter if you are after a party scene.

It's a great place. By all means get off the tourist trail' date=' but don't neglect the well know sights as they are boss. I'm talking Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square etc.

If you can snare a good deal around Times Square it probably is the best place to stay as it is central to everything and walkable to the Upper and Lower areas, although the metro may be easier in some cases. Upper West Side is also lovely as it is near Central Park, though it is a little quieter if you are after a party scene.[/quote']

I've booked The Broadway at Times Square so bang in the middle of it all. Can't wait now, but may change hotel to The New Yorker ( just waiting til Sept to book through Booking.com if prices are ok.

Took the missus for her birthday a few years ago. Went in March, stayed in a hotel overlooking Central Park and had the craziest weather.

20 degress and blue skies on the Sunday yet on the Monday, snow!

Also, if you get a chance and are intent on doing some shopping, check out Woodbury Common outlet centre, Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, you will save a packet on prices. Just pop to the Port Authority and get a bus there and back.

We went over with a change of clothes for the next day, so basically empty suitcases to bring all of our shopping back (went when the exhange rate was nearly $2 to £1) and crammed in loads of sight seeing.

Cracking place, will go back when the kids have, moved out.

Book 6 months before the flight - routes are always changing depending on demand and fly mid-week if you can to save between 30-50% on the fare.

Manhattan is quite compact and mostly walkable - with the help of the fantastic Subway system(get a week ticket for $30). Everywhere is just so damn interesting and within quick and easy reach so you don't need to be central: Don't discount places like the East Village, Meat District or even West Brooklyn/ Williamsburg across the East River when looking for digs. Walk as many places as you can. The journeys can be as memorable as the destinations, trust me.

I loved it, I could go on for pages...

Your dear old Dad was right btw.

Depends how long you're going for, I guess, but we booked an apartment north of Central Park and it was fab 'living' in a predominantly Hispanic part of town for a few days, where so much of life is lived on the streets and in such great contrast to the slickness of central Manhattan. Some of the quotes from the guy whose place we stayed in have become part of our family folklore.

We all absolutely loved New York, every bit of it and would love to go back one day

Depends how long you're going for, I guess, but we booked an apartment north of Central Park and it was fab 'living' in a predominantly Hispanic part of town for a few days, where so much of life is lived on the streets and in such great contrast to the slickness of central Manhattan. Some of the quotes from the guy whose place we stayed in have become part of our family folklore.

We all absolutely loved New York, every bit of it and would love to go back one day

10 nights and looking forward to everyone. I've not heard any bad things (probably a few as with every country) but the vast majority give NY a great big thumbs up. It'll be like walking through every movie I've seen on the TV.

There is a supporters club of a certain team near Alphabet City where I would recommend watching this unspecified sport if it is on during your visit. Take a taxi home though, bit scary at night.

Edit. Not scary as in bad area, but 1am it is very quiet and creepy. It put the willies up me, fnarr. AFAIK east village is pretty safe crime wise but after midnight, like anywhere, it can get weird. The wall street area of NYC is particularly creep and silent late at night.

There is a supporters club of a certain team near Alphabet City where I would recommend watching this unspecified sport if it is on during your visit. Take a taxi home though, bit scary at night.

Edit. Not scary as in bad area, but 1am it is very quiet and creepy. It put the willies up me, fnarr. AFAIK east village is pretty safe crime wise but after midnight, like anywhere, it can get weird. The wall street area of NYC is particularly creep and silent late at night.

The 11th Street Bar? Its a bit of a dive, but the place for this unspecified support you mention. East Village is the student area so bars and ace little cafés and restaurants abound. If you go, go to Crif Dogs for evening hotdogs and dial '1' on the phone in the back. A surprise may await..

Depending on your age I'd recommend slumming it for a night if not two in a hostel.

Defo.

When I went to NYC in '94 I stayed in The Gerschwin Hotel hostel on East 27th, and had a great time there for the best part of 3 months.

However, the place then became home to a load of the competitors from the Homosexual Olympics, (honestly, held in Central Park) so I fucked off to New Orleans on the bus, rather than be roped into any of their Pole Vaulting shenanigans.

Defo.

When I went to NYC in '94 I stayed in The Gerschwin Hotel hostel on East 27th, and had a great time there for the best part of 3 months.

However, the place then became home to a load of the competitors from the Homosexual Olympics, (honestly, held in Central Park) so I fucked off to New Orleans on the bus, rather than be roped into any of their Pole Vaulting shenanigans.

July, the hostels will be rammed full of filthy European au pairs desperate for a bumming. I was raped by a German au pair, it was ace.