You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Moyes be the Manc's Hodgson?

Ranxerox

How long will Moyes last  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Moyes last

• less than 1 year
    • sacked after 2 campaigns
    • will see out most of his contract
    • Will still be in the job 10 years on

The squad may be poorer, although methinks you've airbrushed the likes of O'Shea, Silvestre et al out of the picture, but not because Ferguson was hindered by a lack of investment.

While we were trying to extricate a couple of million out of FSG for a 29 year old with a year left on his contract, Ferguson was calling wenger and saying, your 29 year old with a year left on his contract, he's ours, name your price.

That is not indicative of a lack of investment.

Their low net spend is a function of not having to buy each new manager a shiny new midfielder to replace the shiny new midfielder they bought the last manager.

Van Persie was a short term buy that worked out. He nearly managed a whole season without injury for the first time ever and had his best season, but he wasn't a signing for the future. Ferguson knew he was off and so took a risk that paid off

Anyway, before him their net spend for 3 years was about £15m or something. Another example would be that they dragged Paul Scholes back out retirement rather than going and spending some money.

My opinion is that this is the weakest United squad for years. Their squad is relatively old an they have no great youngsters coming through to replace them.

Time will tell, but I think they need to spend quite big over the next couple of year to maintain their position in the top four.

Van Persie was a short term buy that worked out. He nearly managed a whole season without injury for the first time ever and had his best season, but he wasn't a signing for the future. Ferguson knew he was off and so took a risk that paid off

Anyway, before him their net spend for 3 years was about £15m or something. Another example would be that they dragged Paul Scholes back out retirement rather than going and spending some money.

My opinion is that this is the weakest United squad for years. Their squad is relatively old an they have no great youngsters coming through to replace them.

Time will tell, but I think they need to spend quite big over the next couple of year to maintain their position in the top four.

United squads have always been poorer on paper than on the pitch though. Hopefully, that was the ferguson factor and it is gone now.

Guest San Don
I watched some of their game last night. He looks like a man under real pressure. His body language was painful.

I think this is all part of Ferguson's master plan. He managed to eek out a few titles with a fading team that wasn't really investing anymore (RVP aside they hardly spent a penny since Ronaldo's £80m came into the account). He's now installed a manager that will gradually take united backwards and cement his legacy as some kind of football genius. He's a cynical horrible old cunt that Ferguson.

LOL! There's some right conspiracy loons on here. I dont for one minute think ferguson wanted a failure to come in and 'cement' his legacy. The old twat has already done that (cement his legacy).

I've no doubt that ferguson sees gollum as a manager he can still have some influence over as regards the playing style of the club.

Why would he recommend some small time manager who's won the square root of fuck all instead of one of europe's top coaches? He wouldnt be able to influence their team tactics and football etc and they wouldnt stand for it. Gollum on the other hand, is the soucerer's apprentice and forever looking over his shoulder for his master's advice or confirmation.

Im please gollum is struggling and they are getting some shit pre season results. But, let's not run away with the idea just yet that that means they'll struggle in the league and can be written off.

They have some big players in that dressingroom. If gollum cant deliver the results, I've no doubt some of the players will start to assert themselves out on the pitch.

If they do crash and burn, good. But, I'd wait for 10 or so league games before we can even start considering organising the party for their demise.

When you consider Ferguson's step down speech about 'patience' and so forth, I think unless they have an absolutely disastrous season Moyes will be there next season.

The point about the winning mentality is a very good one, especially with the likes og Giggs, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick etc all around, all multiple trophy winners. Where I see issues developing is with the younger players in the squad, the likes of Welbeck, those two shit bag twin FBs, Nani (if he is still around), Cleverly etc. Those lads are still young and need an adult to manage them, someone they respect. Moyes is not that man.

Another issue is the change of mentality of opposing sides, especially when visiting OT. As we have discussed on here on many occasions, so many sides are beaten before they even kick a ball at OT. The case in point being the McCarthy reserve side fielded in OT a few seasons back. Its not as obvious with other sides, but parking the bus is exactly how you get beat by the mancs. Get at them, hassle them, stick balls into the box. I think we will see this change next season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
United squads have always been poorer on paper than on the pitch though. Hopefully, that was the ferguson factor and it is gone now.

Yep, man for man there have been many teams who knock spots off of them. As much as we/I/us lot hated Ferguson, the impact he had on those sides' achievement is at least as important as any other manager, in my opinion. I know he wasn't a tactician and didn't get on the training pitch all that much, but if it's true that sport at the top level - or at least the difference between the very top teams - is mentality and self-belief, he gave that to many teams.

With him going, can Moyes replace that? I don't think so. So they're either going to have to get more top players to make a difference on the pitch, or he's going to fuck up.

if it's true that sport at the top level - or at least the difference between the very top teams - is mentality and self-belief, he gave that to many teams.

It absolutely is. You dont have to look much further than Phil Taylor in Darts. Incredible level of focus and ability to apply himself when it really really matters. Knowing how to put pressure on the opponent and, again, when the right time to do this is.

Whereas, James Wade is bollixed. Much publicised struggle with mental issues and finds it really difficult to compete in the final stages of competitions on a consistent basis.

This very point is one of the reasons that I really like Jordan Henderson. His attitude is absolutely spot on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It absolutely is.

And I personally think Rodgers knows it. I think he understands that will to win is worth at least as much as talent. If you believe you can win, if you're willing to make things happen, and drive towards it, then you're most likely going to achieve it. If you're ultra talented, but timid and apprehensive, there's little point in your talent. At least at the top level.

And I personally think Rodgers knows it. I think he understands that will to win is worth at least as much as talent. If you believe you can win, if you're willing to make things happen, and drive towards it, then you're most likely going to achieve it. If you're ultra talented, but timid and apprehensive, there's little point in your talent. At least at the top level.

Definitely. Toure, Aspas, Papa, Costa and the necessity to keep Suarez. All with an excellent mentality and will to win. Aspas practically kept Celta in La Liga singlehandedly.

Yep, man for man there have been many teams who knock spots off of them. As much as we/I/us lot hated Ferguson, the impact he had on those sides' achievement is at least as important as any other manager, in my opinion. I know he wasn't a tactician and didn't get on the training pitch all that much, but if it's true that sport at the top level - or at least the difference between the very top teams - is mentality and self-belief, he gave that to many teams.

With him going, can Moyes replace that? I don't think so. So they're either going to have to get more top players to make a difference on the pitch, or he's going to fuck up.

Yep, it's like when Mourinho left chelsea. It took the players a while to realize he wasn't there anymore. His lessons lived on long after him and that's the concern. By the same token, the way benitez's team unraveled showed if the stars align properly, it can be happen.

They're not half the team they were five years ago in my opinion. I know they won the league by a street, but their squad is relatively poor.

The Man u juggernaut will continue picking up trophies for a season or two. Moyes will need time to develop his Euro expertise though.

If United arnt up fighting in top 3 at Christmas Moyes will be out.

Nah they'll give him longer than that, the whole point of bringing him in was to build another dynasty without recognising that the likes of Ferguson are the exception rather than the rule.

Signs are not good so far, they're struggling the transfer market. Part of the problem is that that both Ferguson along with his backroom staff and critically Gill have all gone at the same time. Gill's replacement has no experience of operating in the transfer market backed up by a manager who has no experience of buying from the top table.

They still have a squad that knows how to win the Premiership on autopilot. I'm hoping for a gradual decline over a few seasons, Moyes changes the way they play, they can't quite recruit the same calibre of players plus Moyes brings in the wrong sort. All the while the club buying into the stability and continuity line giving Moyes far too long.

This season I suspect they'll be a lot more vulnerable but it'll all be passed off as a transitional year with them probably finishing 3rd. Enough to keep Moyes in place, however slip outside the top four and all bets are off.

I also think they will give him at least a season, unless things go absolutely disastrously. They look terrible at the moment but I think once the season starts they will perform a lot better. I would like to think they might finish outside the top 4 but we're only setting ourselves up for disappointment if we start thinking that way. I do think their squad looks a bit weak though, and nowhere near as good as City or Chelsea on paper. Even Spurs' first 11 looks as good as theirs right now.

I think they will back him for two years, and that will hopefully see them fall from the CL places. It is unbecoming to sack managers too quickly. Ferguson was there forever. Their board always knew that he was going to be a hard act to follow. I don't like Man Utd at all, but I get the impression that they do see themselves as different, set apart, a cut above the recently monied riff-raff. One of the hallmarks of this will be in the propensity to sack a manager. They will not want to make a hasty decision, so I reckon Moyes will get two full seasons (barring such disastrous performance that a change just has to be made).

So, as others have said, I think they will make the CL spots this year, which will be the bare minimum the board will accept. They won't challenge for the title, but the board will view that as a 'bedding in' season for the new manager. It is a big job after all.

In season two they will fully expect to compete hard for the title again, only this season will actually get a bit worse than Moyes' first season, and they will fall out of the CL spots to fifth.

That's how I'm hoping it works out for them. In the meantime we have to take care of our own situation and get back up there. If the longer term top four is Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, with the giants of the last four decades - Man Utd and Liverpool - just outside that top four, I won't be happy.

Keep Suarez. Kiss and make up. Have a good season and establish a foothold at the top table again. That's what we need to do.

This gradual decline thing people keep mentioning isn't going to happen and won't be allowed to happen by the suits that run the club.

If it goes dodgy this season they will rectify it by splashing a lot of cash, as amusing as it is top players won't keep turning them down.

The best we can hope for is it goes to shit this season for Moyes and they stick with him, even if they sack him it it will still take a while to rebuild with a new manager, their squad looks like shit and theres no Ferguson black magic to make it work anymore.

You don't need gradual decline, look how quickly we fell, thats what we need them to do and then they have to fight to get back up there which as we all know is not easy.

he'll be gone by February and replaced by Ferguson till the end of the season imo

He could actually be far worse than Hodgson, as much as I hate Hodgson he at least has the excuse that we were shit before he turned up (he just happened to make us even shitter)

he'll be gone by February and replaced by Ferguson till the end of the season imo

He could actually be far worse than Hodgson, as much as I hate Hodgson he at least has the excuse that we were shit before he turned up (he just happened to make us even shitter)

No chance, why would he go back? He has no unfinished business.

If the Mancs decide they have to sack Moyes mid-season they'd hand over the reigns to the likes of Giggs or Neville, at least on a caretaker basis.

I think Moyes will get at least 3 years even if he wins sod all, as long as nothing disastrous happens - Ferguson will convince them to give him time.