You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard - New Contract

Guest LFD

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year contract to stay at Anfield until 2015

Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard has agreed a new two-year deal to keep him at Anfield beyond his 35th birthday.

Negotiations between Gerrard and the Liverpool hierarchy have been ongoing since the end of last season and he is expected to put his pen to fresh terms prior to embarking on the club’s pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia this week.

Gerrard had one year remaining on his existing deal but manager Brendan Rodgers was determined to remove any doubts about his captain’s immediate and long-term future.

Having already lost Jamie Carragher through retirement, it was essential for Rodgers to retain the services of the most decorated player still on the playing staff.

Gerrard, who recently turned 33, is preparing for his testimonial, marking 14 years since his senior debut and the deal confirms he, like Carragher, will spend his entire career at one club.

His enduring commitment is a much-needed fillip for the Merseyside club amid the lingering uncertainty surrounding Luis Suárez’s future.

Gerrard said on signing his last Liverpool deal two years ago that he expected to end his playing career at the club he joined as a schoolboy, and the extension is a due reward from owners Fenway Sports Group who have shown they are willing to hand out contracts to older players under the right circumstances.

The club will be eager to find a role for Gerrard once he stops playing, too, but lengthening his deal underlines how important he remains as Rodgers seeks to turn Liverpool into a Champions League club once again.

Rodgers spoke regularly last season about the importance of keeping the captain, the Liverpool manager seeing him as indispensable.

Despite being in his early 30s, Gerrard’s appearance record was as impressive as any time during his career. He sat out the final fortnight to resolve a shoulder problem, but has now returned to training and will be fit for club and country for the start of the forthcoming campaign.

“With each day that goes on you see the real importance he still has to the club. He still looks so fit, strong and you can see his influence on the team,” Rodgers said last season. “As a captain he’s been phenomenal.

“He is a unique player. I can’t say that without Steven Gerrard we would be all right because I don’t believe we would. This is a top, top player who gives so much quality but also enthusiasm.”

Having handed Gerrard a new deal, the next priority for Rodgers is adding more recruits as the next five weeks promise to be hectic in the transfer market.

Liverpool still have plenty of money to spend – as shown by the failed £20 million bid for Henrikh Mkhitaryan – and will also know a further £40   million or more could be coming in if, as seems likely, Suárez and others depart before the start of the season.

The problem for Rodgers is how best to use the resources he has. Mkhitaryan’s rejection was significant as he confirmed the lack of Champions League football at Anfield was the decisive factor in his choice of Dortmund.

Luring players from Champions League teams is tricky unless, as in the case of January signings Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge, they have found themselves out of favour at their current clubs.

Rodgers still has not been able to sign the younger centre-half he wanted as a long-term replacement for Carragher or an attacking midfielder.

The club will also be planning ahead in the event of Suárez leaving, fully aware the supporters will demand a top-class replacement.

Suárez, who continues to state his eagerness to leave, is scheduled to rejoin the Liverpool squad next week. He is booked in for a series of commercial engagements in the Far East, as well as resuming training.

However, Liverpool may extend his leave to enable both he and Pepe Reina to miss the Melbourne leg of their tour.

Liverpool began their pre-season schedule with a comfortable 4-0 win against Preston North End on Saturday. Iago Aspas, signed from Celta Vigo for £7 million, marked his debut with a goal and an assist. Coutinho and teenagers Jordan Ibe and Raheem Sterling were the other goalscorers.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year contract to stay at Anfield until 2015 - Telegraph

Does anyone think he might become more of a defensive midfielder over the next few years? Especially if Lucas doesn't get back to his best.

We've got other players who have more energy in the squad to do the box to box role and pressing such as Allen, Henderson, maybe even Alberto and others.

He could still then be an influence with his passing, yet just have less running to do.

Does anyone think he might become more of a defensive midfielder over the next few years? Especially if Lucas doesn't get back to his best.

We've got other players who have more energy in the squad to do the box to box role and pressing such as Allen, Henderson, maybe even Alberto and others.

He could still then be an influence with his passing, yet just have less running to do.

think he already became more of a deep lying playmaker last season really, albeit a more dynamic sort than Xabi and Pirlo etc

think he already became more of a deep lying playmaker last season really, albeit a more dynamic sort than Xabi and Pirlo etc

He's the play maker, but he's still given the box to box role, as he gets forward still and is alongside Lucas who is the main DM.

I think over the next couple of years we might see him used in the DM position more. Mainly in the role as he was last season, but at times we might not play Lucas and have Gerrard in that DM / quarter back role starting attacks and then put Henderson or Allen in the engine room with the extra energy they have.

Reading the words Gerrard and retirement in the same sentence makes me want to cry.

Edit: I'm aware they aren't together in that article but I've read a few things recently where they are

the only good thing about him getting on a bit is that we know he is stopping here a don't have to worry when he gets down to two years on his contract etc

Gerrard: I'm excited by LFC future

Steven Gerrard admitted he was overjoyed to have put pen to paper on a contract extension with Liverpool and revealed his belief that the team are heading firmly in the right direction towards success.

The Reds captain inked his new deal at Melwood on Monday morning and immediately afterwards, sat down with LFC TV to express his delight and hopes for the future.

Here's what he had to say in full...

Steven, first of all, many congratulations - news announced today that you've signed a new contract with Liverpool Football Club. What does it mean to you?

I think everyone knows what it means to me. I've been here that long and so to extend, it's a big day for me and I'm really happy for myself and family. It's great news.

You still had time left on your existing contract, so how important was it for you to get an extension?

It lets me know the club thinks an awful lot of me and want me here. There was a year left [on my contract] which was quite unusual - I think it was the first time I've got that far down into a contract. I'm glad it's all done and it's happened at the right time before the season, so I can just focus on playing as well as I can for the next two years.

Does it help to focus the mind knowing that you're not going to face questions from the media about running your contract down?

Yes, I think so. I don't want to be talking about myself or my contract situation going into a season. The contract was first mentioned by the manager in March and in a couple of interviews I was asked quite a bit about the contract. It takes your mind away from the football, so fair play to the club - the timing is spot on. It's all done and dusted and now I can just focus on the football side.

You've spoken many times about your relationship with Liverpool supporters, so what do you hope this news means to them?

I hope they're really happy. The relationship is mutual - the respect they have for me and they know how much I love them, so it's a two-way thing. People talk about my loyalty to the football club because I've been here all the way through, but the club have been very loyal to me all the way throughout my career and always rewarded me at the right times with deals. They've always told me what they think about me and that's very important as a footballer, to know that you're loved.

Your relationship with the manager Brendan Rodgers seems to be going from strength to strength every day - how would you describe that relationship?

I think it's perfect. I've got a lot of respect for Brendan as a coach, but also as a guy as well. I've loved every minute of working with him since he came through the door and I hope he is here for certainly the next couple of years. I want to work with him more. The relationship is growing and I feel as if he is the man to take this club forward.

New players coming into the club and a positive start to pre-season at the weekend, it must be massively encouraging for you looking ahead to the future...

Yes, it is. I've got a lot of confidence and belief in my teammates and in the coaches we've got. That's the reason why I feel as if we can move forward together and get success back soon. Every fan out there, and the players are no different - we want to see a few more faces to strengthen the team and squad even more. It is an exciting time when you get a couple of new faces in to freshen the squad up - you're at the beginning of the season and it's a fresh start, there are trophies to be won and things to achieve. I won't lie to you, I'm really excited at the moment.

Is it possible for you to say how important these next 12 months are for you, not only for Liverpool but for England, too?

It's a big year - it's a World Cup year. We've got a lot of hard work to do to get to the World Cup first and foremost. As a footballer, you concentrate on the next game and it's very important you're not distracted by the thought of qualifying or getting to a World Cup - you worry about that when you're on international duty. For me, my priority at the moment is Stoke and getting the season off to a winning start, trying to stay fit throughout pre-season and getting as fit as I can personally. All of the lads are trying to do the same. The training has been really, really tough - it's been brutal at times - but I think the team is going to be a lot fitter this year and hopefully we can start the season really well.

Gerrard: I'm excited by LFC future - Liverpool FC

Gerrads performances last year did not look like those of someone his age.I remember him saying a few times a few years ago he was thinking of retiring around the 34 mark, I hope he reconsiders this as I feel he has a good few years more.

We need a masch kind of player next to him, someone defensive with a lot of energy so he doesn't have to worry about getting back as much, he was wasted in certain games playing as a dm when Lucas was injured.

I hate that we've always had shit owners/chairmen. Stopped Gerrard getting the league title he deserves.

I know mate its a fucking travesty he's loyalty hasn't been rewarded with title, I still hold a faint hope he can get it but at least he needs couple more seasons in champs league before he finishes.