You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An Opportunity

Red Soul

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you were him, and you knew you could spot a player and had the team heading the way you wanted it to.....

Would you sell him for 50 million in order to buy the other players you needed to fit all the final pieces into the puzzle?

Rodgers isnt going to get another 5 years without winning a trophy or seriously challenging for the title....most fans are already against him

In most fans opinion he must show real progress next year

So if that was you, and you were in his shoes, what would you do?

What would I do ?

I would go cap in hand for the 50m to FSG and keep Suarez.

Suarez is individual but he also works for the team and is a team player.

The gamble is selling him and the money being wasted, obviously, we have previous, and so does Rodgers. Sturridge and Coutinho we're hardly under the radar buys. Allen he knew about and was overpriced and average at best, Borini's has been unlucky with injury but looks average too.

You mention him not having much time, but I thought he was the future, huge dossier, grand plans etc. I genuinely think if he stops this Tiki-taka shite and has a go with our current players plus 3 or 4 new ones we have a chance of top four next season. If he can spot player so well the money from FSG and sales should suffice.

Mind you Suarez might want out anyway eh, and Brendan will have his chance.

You gave it the snidey shit when you weren't even correctly comprehending what I'd written.

Wasn't meant to be snidey mate.I just thought you were being a bit pessimistic.

Apologies if I misinterpreted you,easily done after 4 litres of cider.

I'm still not confident enough that he can spot a player, coutinho and Sturridge great but then other players Allen and borini I'm unsure of, then the players we were linked too, Dempsey, sigurdsson ashley Williams if we signed them I'd be a lot less confident of what Rodgers could do with the Suarez money. Thing is we don't know quite how this new scouting network works the input they had over the January signings. One thing in absolute certain of is if you can keep a player like Suarez you keep him for the vast majority of this season he's been the only thing worth watching.

I'm still not confident enough that he can spot a player, coutinho and Sturridge great but then other players Allen and borini I'm unsure of, then the players we were linked too, Dempsey, sigurdsson ashley Williams if we signed them I'd be a lot less confident of what Rodgers could do with the Suarez money. Thing is we don't know quite how this new scouting network works the input they had over the January signings. One thing in absolute certain of is if you can keep a player like Suarez you keep him for the vast majority of this season he's been the only thing worth watching.

No-one is infallible in the transfer market, and I dare say we'll sign the odd yard dog, but I'm more optimistic about our ability in this area than I've been for many a year. The concern is more about access to funds.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm going to judge him on the players he does buy. Not the ones we didn't buy, the one he rejected, or the ones we've been linked with by the Mail. I'm happy with the Allen, Coutinho, and Sturridge. I also like Borini but no judgements can be made after an injury ravaged season where he has started five league games. These are the types of player I want, just because some are taking more time to settle than others, it doesn't mean they're not talented.

I'm well up for next season, mate. If we beat QPR, we'll be going into next season on the back of a 36 point half-season. We came into this off 18 points. We're going into next season as a much more settled side, with a manager who has been there more than five minutes, we've got much better attackers than we started this with, we've improved our defence to the point where we've been the third best (goals conceded) over the second half of the season (behind both Manchester clubs) and we're scoring bundles. That's before we sign anybody.

Splash some cash and we could be right in the mix. Football flips in an instant. One minute City and Chelsea are distant pretenders, the next minute they're signing the top players and winning leagues. One minute Dortmund a flailing around in Bundesliga, so hire some guy from Mainz who won fuck all for 7 years, then go on to be one of the best sides in Europe without spending hardly anything. One minute LFC are laughing at United because they're so far behind they can barely be seen and the next the biggest club in the land slides into oblivion. Shit changes.

We're coming back.

Thats a really good post, and I totally agree. You can't deny we are starting to look like a team. Countinho is turning out to be somewhat of a missing link. I agree that if we continue to do well in the transfer market (for a change) then we can only improve.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Thats a really good post, and I totally agree. You can't deny we are starting to look like a team. Countinho is turning out to be somewhat of a missing link. I agree that if we continue to do well in the transfer market (for a change) then we can only improve.

Cheers. I think something particularly important is the value in not having a managerial change (well, I hope not). Going into next season we'll not be in a slump, massively cutting the wage bill, unsettled by a sacking and a new manager coming in with totally different ideas, and a more settled team. We'll still have some uproar, what with the defence undergoing a little overhaul, so there'll still be issues next season. Nobody expects us to win the league next season, do they? Or do they? Probably.

I agree, I think everything is there for the taking next season. I can see Arsenal being the main challengers to United, which is appalling really, but they are settled. If they bring in a couple of quality players then they could put quite a run together, as they have done in the second half of this season. That said, if Cazorla is out for a period then it can all come undone quite easily, and the form of Walcott can fluctuate hugely.

United right up there obviously, but there's a lot of movement going on there. Ferguson aside, which is monumental, there is also Scholes retiring, Rooney possibly leaving, Nani probably leaving, fuck knows about Young and Valencia, and then whoever Moyes brings in will also have an impact on the existing players and the dressing room harmony.

Man City are Man City. They may well be targeting big players this Summer, but I also expect a lot of players to leave, not to mention a new manager getting his bollocks out and swinging them around. Too much chaos.

Chelsea, same. Better, but largely the same. This Lampard/Terry spazathon is going to run and run, and they also need a new manager, who will probably try a new formation etc etc, and by the time they realise they are a decent team it will be January and they'll have dropped a load of points.

Spurs' bubble is due to burst. They'll be competetive but really the 'quality' of Lennon, Defoe, Dawson, etc, it's fleeting. They haven't got the real quality, it's all based on terrific form of average players.

We are also precarious though. We're talking about dismantling the defence, and that's always a danger. That said, you'd think that a new defence might actually be better perhaps, because there was so much wrong with the old one for such a long period this season. This is why I'm not opposed to Williams coming in, someone who has worked with Rodgers and this style of playing who won't take months to get used to it. If only for a year, I see Williams as being well worth it IF we have designs on the top four spots. If we're willing to wait another season, or see if we get in by the seat of our pants, then bring in an unknown quantity. But dont go expecting miracles overnight if we do that.

First things first, it's not just BR who buys our players. He might have the final say, but the committee he wanted and apparently works best with, will have a pretty big list. Hopefully we can get most of our business done early

The defense is a concern, but the reality is that we only need 2 CB's at most IF Coates is sold.

The reality is that if we can continue our form from the 2nd half of the season, and pick up more points from the "top" teams, then we are in a very good position for getting into the top 4, at least.

If we hit our stride early, and build confidence, then there's no reason with the right players brought in why we shouldn't be in the mix.

I agree that we need ambitions, but I´d wish we would skip the "we´re gonna win this year" routine every season. The most obvious flaw with Lfc, and it has been for many years, is that we don´t cope well with pressure. We always get in trouble when we´re expected to win, but thrive as underdogs. You could see it again this season, every time we were in a position to challenge for top four, we put in dire performances and lost (Villa and Southampton). To rectify our mental issues will be more important than any players bought this summer.

I agree that we need ambitions, but I´d wish we would skip the "we´re gonna win this year" routine every season. The most obvious flaw with Lfc, and it has been for many years, is that we don´t cope well with pressure. We always get in trouble when we´re expected to win, but thrive as underdogs. You could see it again this season, every time we were in a position to challenge for top four, we put in dire performances and lost (Villa and Southampton). To rectify our mental issues will be more important than any players bought this summer.

Good post. We struggle with the pressure on and I'm anticipating another tricky start next season.