You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (h) Match Thread

Anubis

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good performance tonight. Thought Gerrard and Suarez were our top performers but Johnson and Downing also put in good performances with support from everyone else. Didn't see anyone perform badly although a couple of players started slowly. Liked the way they tried to get Allen a goal. Lets hope we can do the same to the Mancs.

Should have been more.

First goal opened the game up for us.

Before that I was thinking it might be the same old story - home game, opposition park the bus and score from their only chance.

First half the ref was giving every decision in their favour as well.

2 disallowed goals with the Johnson one looking marginal.

After the two good chances they missed, I knew it was going to be our night.

Hopefully Sturridge, Borini and co. can help turn these 3-0's into 5-0's and 6-0's.

Should have been more.

First goal opened the game up for us.

Before that I was thinking it might be the same old story - home game, opposition park the bus and score from their only chance.

First half the ref was giving every decision in their favour as well.

2 disallowed goals with the Johnson one looking marginal.

After the two good chances they missed, I knew it was going to be our night.

Hopefully Sturridge, Borini and co. can help turn these 3-0's into 5-0's and 6-0's.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So you think i'm advocating hoofball then?

OK.

What? No. Fucking hell, there's some right tits on here. I'm saying you're having a pop at Rodgers, which you clearly were.

What? Fucking hell, there's some right tits on here.

Come on, whats your beef Moody?

Bit quick out of the traps were we?

You think far too much of yourself.

Just sayin.

Absolutely not a pop.

Just a comment. We were good tonight apart from at the back in the 1st half. We're heading in the right direction.

We just need to get rid of lightweights like Sahin and Cole to free up some wages, and we're well set.

There are chants about thatcher dying on the Kop every match and there has been for a few years now.

I know but quite a load of people mentioned it on twitter for some reason... Normally only hear it at away games notnthat often in the kop...and not 'en-masse' like tonight's seems to have been....

Thought it was a really good game and was a perfect example of what Rodgers philosophy is when it works. Skrtel absolutely bullied Fletcher all game and obviously Suarez and Gerrard were at their brilliant best. Ive seen a few people mention Henderson and I think he's been getting better and better recently. He seems to believe in himself a bit more now. I normally don't get carried away with Lucas but today I thought he was quality. He gave away some daft fouls but all in all broke up their play well and was very positive with the ball. I thought the midfield three ran the show.

Im made up for Rodgers as well. He's doing a good job in my eyes and the luck hasn't been with him so far. Two wins on the trot and the cup up next. Only way is up!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Come on, whats your beef Moody?

Bit quick out of the traps were we?.

I think I've explained my beef quite succinctly. You're trying to backtrack because you've realised that rather than celebrating a goal, you've said 'see, Brendan'. You're pointing fingers at our manager, apparently trying to make out that you've something to show him, then you say I think too much of myself. You've no fucking clue.

just in from that, delighted with how we played offensively, probably the most cohesive we've looked all season. Sterlings finish was composure personified absolutely class from such a young man and what more can we say about Suarez, he's surpassed Torres for me in favourite player terms, he is just breathtaking an never stops running best in the league at the moment.

Guest ShoePiss

Really pleased with that performance, very positive going forward. A few scares but we kept a clean sheet, great start to the new year and will give them a lift that will be much needed for the next games.

We were really really good tonight

Strange time to say it as I actually thought Allen gave his most all action performance since joining the club in his sub appearance tonight but I think Stevie, Lucas and Henderson is the way to go in midfield at the moment, Lucas is well Lucas and we always know what we'll get from him, his passing was great tonight and I felt he was given a number of unfair fouls against him and I think Henderson's presence in the team has had a positive effect on Stevie who I think has been bang average playing deep all season and I was desperate for him to be moved further forward and whilst I don't see further forward as Henderson's natural role he is doing a good job there and not giving the defenders a minute, he has actually reminded me of Meireles in his good run when Kenny first took over, Suarez excellent as ever, Raheem had a quiet game but very well taken goal and whilst the end product wasn't there for Downing he really had a good go tonight and I think people would've taken to him a lot more if he was like that regularly, Johnson brilliant, rest of defence solid, happy days

We've been great going forward but our defending has been absolutely shite. They need to sort it out.

In all honesty this should be 2-2 and it'd be fair. Cut out the mistakes

ds.

When will we ever get the balance right. Used to be the main reason we're in mid-table was our attack not clicking well. Now we're improving in that department, it's the defense all over the place. Hopefully somebody has noticed the problem and will get right quick.

Very good performance, can't ask for anything more other than score more to make our dominance look more what it was. Don't know if Johnson/Allen goals were offside, Johnson looked on to me.

Suarez was magnificent, just unplayable. Everything about his second goal was just top class. The pass, the movement, the touch and the finish. Maybe not quite as good as the Newcastle goal but awesome all the same. Excellent goal. His ball for Sterling's goal was a peach as well and great finish, because it looked like he was going to mess it up.

Henderson looked good centrally again, Lucas won every second ball and apart from ten minutes or so when we went 2-0 up I thought we were very, very good.

Sunderland are shit, by the way. O'Goblin plays percentage football and it came out at about 4% tonight. We've been more clinical since the Villa game, let's hope we can continue our improvement in form but that illusive 3rd league win on the spin is going to be a big challenge next weekend.

I hate Chelsea, a complete fraud of a club from top to bottom. I can't wait till their sugar daddy fucks off and they get relegated. Their fans will fuck off as quickly as they crawled out from under their stones. A shit stain of a club.

Funny that. Really thought the Chavs would just walk this one. Unpredictable old game, football. I wanted them to win too only if they could catch the Scum and scupper their chance for the 20th. Doesn't look like it now though. And more trouble for Rafa too just when he is thinking he's winning over the plastic fans.

We were really really good tonight

Strange time to say it as I actually thought Allen gave his most all action performance since joining the club in his sub appearance tonight but I think Stevie, Lucas and Henderson is the way to go in midfield at the moment, Lucas is well Lucas and we always know what we'll get from him, his passing was great tonight and I felt he was given a number of unfair fouls against him and I think Henderson's presence in the team has had a positive effect on Stevie who I think has been bang average playing deep all season and I was desperate for him to be moved further forward and whilst I don't see further forward as Henderson's natural role he is doing a good job there and not giving the defenders a minute, he has actually reminded me of Meireles in his good run when Kenny first took over, Suarez excellent as ever, Raheem had a quiet game but very well taken goal and whilst the end product wasn't there for Downing he really had a good go tonight and I think people would've taken to him a lot more if he was like that regularly, Johnson brilliant, rest of defence solid, happy days

You're absolutely correct given current form, but I think 2/3 of that partnership is a given regardless.

It will nearly always be Lucas, Gerrard and another for most games I think. Henderson deserves to be starting. Allen played very well when he came on today (nearly as good as he did against Man City), but competition is nothing but healthy.

We then have Sahin, Jonjo and perhaps Suso also vying for that spot. A lot of options, but that does mean things will be interesting going forward.

That second half performance is probably the best I've seen us play in years. Absolutely top drawer stuff. And that ball from Stevie for Suarez's third has to be the pass of the season. Incredible.

Although we've been frustratingly inconsistent at times, notably with regard to the Villa game, but we've all got to get behind Rodgers. We've at least shown glimmers of what we can be capable of and although results haven't always gone our way, I think good performances have far outweighed bad ones. Hopefully we can have a good window and bring in two more attacking players and really kick on.