You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The case of using Downing as a Wing-back

WhiskeyJar

The case of using Downing as a Wing-back!  

80 members have voted

1. 1. The case of using Downing as a Wing-back!

• Might be worth it...
    • No way, he will be shit there too..
    • I really do not know what his position is...

Again, thoughts and opinions gents.

Keep it clean.

_41707346_wing_back_416.gif

In the modern age of football there are many different roles and jobs a defender can have.

And a wonderful sight in the game is seeing the wing-back fly up and down the touchline terrorising the opposition.

Their role is more attacking than the full-back's, and it basically involves a great deal of running.

They are a nightmare to defend against as you never know where they're going to be.

They are usually employed in a formation that includes just three players in midfield.

This allows the wing-backs to supply all of the width in the team.

Because their job is to attack, there will usually be an extra central defender to give more defensive cover.

To be a useful wing-back, you've got to be good at all parts of the game.

Fit, strong, good with both feet, a great tackler, an amazing passer and a fine crosser of the ball.

Roberto Carlos (pictured) is never happier than when he's motoring forward for Brazil or Real Madrid.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it will probably be an unpopular stance, but I would be happy to give Downing another season at least, as he is far better than he showed last year & I would rather have him as an option in the squad than £8m or so in FSG's bank account.

As for being a wing-back, I don't see that will be an option in many of Rodger's selections, but might be something to look at against poorer teams at home or if we are desperate for a goal late on in a game.

Guest San Don

What I want to know is, if we are prepared to ship Carroll, a forward out, why arent we looking to ship downing out?

I've been very unimpressed with Downing tbh. I really dont see what he brings to the team. We'd get what, £10m - £15m for him in the current cliamte so would take a far lesser hit on the transfer fee loss than Carroll.

I can't see us using him as a wingback as it would mean hanging the shape of the team when we play Sterling or the other lad we just bought.

It would be worth trying Downing as a left back though.Enrique had t been good since Christmas and I don't think Robinson is quite ready yet.

We are not going to get a decent fee for him so there is little to loose.

The other issue with 3 centre backs is that if we play a side that camps in there own half you have 3 players marking 1 striker.

As good a ball player as Agger is his record for goals isnt great.I don't see him breaking from the defence on long runs either. Mascherano/Song could play this for Barca as they are naturally midfielders who could play in front of a back 2 and slot into a 3 as needed,I don't think Lucas could do this.

I like the idea, thought he looked quite good there apart from some jitters.

Downing is comfortable on the ball, good passer, great engine and defensively he works very hard. There is no way he is going to cut it as a wide forward here i dont think, i do however think he's got all the raw ingredients to make a fine left back.

Downing is just spectacularly average. Decent in an ordinary side, exposed against and with better players.

Although not as good as Kenny thought he was he is still better than he is playing at the moment. It's a confidence thing, but its difficult to see how he is going to make it here and he is on big wages so will be difficult to move on.

Even if you put aside the ridiculous notion that Rodgers should change his system entirely and play an unconventional 3 at the back formation simply for the sake of Stewart Downing, it won't work.

Why? Because Downing fails at some of the most basic things required of a footballer at these levels. He's invariably shit wherever he plays.

Think people are being clouded by Downing's displays as a wide attacking midfielder. In theory at least, i think the actual strength's Downing has would be better suited at fullback. He would be doing more overlapping, more one touch passing, more running and more crossing running into space rather than cutting in and taking defenders on one on one which comes to nothing from a more attacking position.

What I want to know is, if we are prepared to ship Carroll, a forward out, why arent we looking to ship downing out?

I've been very unimpressed with Downing tbh. I really dont see what he brings to the team. We'd get what, £10m - £15m for him in the current cliamte so would take a far lesser hit on the transfer fee loss than Carroll.

You see Matt Jarvis going for £10m, so we should do, but isn't Downing another one on silly wages? So we'd end up paying Downing half the transfer fee to leave.

I'd love to get rid to raise funds for someone more reliable. He's 29 next summer so his value will only plummet.