You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Magri lined up for Liverpool switch

By Howard Frost

Published on Saturday 18 February 2012 18:31

Sam Magri is being lined up for a move to Liverpool.

The News can reveal that the promising defender will begin a one-week trial with the Merseyside giants from Monday after the Anfield club approached the Blues this week.

Magri will play for Liverpool reserves against Everton on Friday night. And if he impresses, negotiations will then take place between Liverpool and Pompey with a view to a permanent deal.

The 17-year-old, from Fratton, is regarded as one of Pompey’s most promising talents but has yet to be named in a match-day squad.

The life-long Pompey fan has played for England youth at a number of age levels and last summer skippered England under-17s to the quarter-finals of the Fifa Under-17 World Cup in Mexico.

Magri lined up for Liverpool switch - Pompey Past - The News

Had a look over at The Pompey Chimes - Home Page

Pompey Bulletin Board • View topic - Why Magri not on bench - off to Liverpool

Looks as though the club is still desperate for players, we should be looking to get some loan over there. May want to wait until after the NextGen semi, but even then the likes Adorjan or Ngoo need to be playing sooner or later. Or Michael Roberts.

I like the tag-work, but I said I don't rate him much higher than Sama, not that I don't rate him. I think Sama's a very good defender, just don't see this as an upgrade on what's already here. Still, more competition is always good I suppose. Might free up Sama/Wisdom for a loan.

• 1 month later...
What did we decide on this kid?

He's back at Pompey as far I can see

I dunno, but we are defo on the look out for a new CB as we had another trialist play the other week (can't remember who against now though, or whop he is, but I think he came from Wycombe).

I would not be surprised though if we told him to go back to Portsmouth and sit tight til the summer, as with them in the position they are in we might be able to get him for a bit less, or nothing even if they go into insolvency.

Also, I think the new process for signing kids on the cheap rather than the price being set by tribunal starts from next season, but I don't know if that means this summer, so perhaps that has come into play as well.