You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I like Johnson, but that's too much. That said, if we're willing to pay £20m for Downing, it kind of skews what's acceptable. I think Johnson is worth 10-15m, but I doubt we'll get him for that.

I'd sooner go for Matias Suarez, if we're on a budget.

Has Werner been studying Redknapps style, not sure if it is taken out of context as not sure of the full interview.

"We never talk publicly about transfer targets, however, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad," said Werner.

Has Werner been studying Redknapps style, not sure if it is taken out of context as not sure of the full interview.

"We never talk publicly about transfer targets, however, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad," said Werner.

Please Fuck Right Off with your patriotic nonsense, Tom, and leave the football to the footballing people.

There's a good chap.

Please Fuck Right Off with your patriotic nonsense, Tom, and leave the football to the footballing people.

There's a good chap.

After last summer, I have more faith in Werner than "the footballing people". Indeed, Dempsey would have been useful for us this season...

I'd take him as a replacement for Dirk because it's quite obvious he's going.

depends on price, the theory with his contract running out usually means he'd be quite cheap but I think there will be a lot of interest but if we could get him for 5million or less providing he doesn't bottle up all ability upon joining us like Downing etc he'd be a great signing to replace Dirk/Maxi

of course half the people here will have a hissyfit and ask why we haven't signed Hazard instead

Maybe he's just passing comment about a fellow countryman that's done well in the league this season' date=' I'd take him as a replacement for Dirk because it's quite obvious he's going.[/quote']

Yep, your first suggestion would make sense. Your second one makes no sense!

Not a pop at you, MB, but I just don't understand the clamour for obviously mediocre players like Clint Dempsey. It's like when people were advocating the signing of Downing last summer. He was so obviously not the player of the standard required to take us up a few notches, and neither is Dempsey.

Dempsey may well be better than what we already have but that is damning the fellow with faint praise!

Yep, your first suggestion would make sense. Your second one makes no sense!

Not a pop at you, MB, but I just don't understand the clamour for obviously mediocre players like Clint Dempsey. It's like when people were advocating the signing of Downing last summer. He was so obviously not the player of the standard required to take us up a few notches, and neither is Dempsey.

Dempsey may well be better than what we already have but that is damning the fellow with faint praise!

Clint Dempsey is a really good player and on his Fulham form would be a great signing thing is we struggle to get players to transfer their form from smaller clubs, if Downing and Carroll played like they did for Villa and Newcastle we'd be in a much better position, I have no doubts had we signed Young and Scum signed Downing then Downing would've turned out the better of the two

of course half the people here will have a hissyfit and ask why we haven't signed Hazard instead

The hissyfit will be because Clint Dempsey is average, not because Clint Dempsey is not Eden Hazard.

A vote for Dempsey is a vote for continuing mediocrity.

I have no doubts had we signed Young and Scum signed Downing then Downing would've turned out the better of the two

What makes you say this, mate? In what way do you think Ferguson could get more out of Downing than Dalglish? The way we set up? The way we ask him to play? I am genuinely interested in your view here.

What makes you say this, mate? In what way do you think Ferguson could get more out of Downing than Dalglish? The way we set up? The way we ask him to play? I am genuinely interested in your view here.

well i think upon watching them both a lot last year for Villa they are both equally good players and if anything Downing actually had the edge, what I imagine it is is that Ferguson or whoever at Man U looks more into the character of the player, since he signed for us Downing has gone into his shell and the majority of the time being completely ineffective whilst Young is playing with more freedom than ever, the obvious answer would be the pressure of playing for a bigger side but I think Downing is a hell of a lot better for England too so I can only guess that we are using him wrong and its a problem we seem to have had for years signing players from smaller clubs like Bellamy the first time and Keane, now I know Keane wasn't good enough anyway but he was certainly better than the pile of shite that turned out for us

honest answer I don't know what it is but the bastards amongst others seem to constantly do better when signing players from smaller clubs than we do (albeit some of them get ridiculous hype despite not actually being that good like Jones) and I do think there is enough talent in Stewart Downing to do it at a high level, never a 20million player but as good as Young and a lot better than the likes of Walcott but he has got nowhere near showing it since signing for us

talent in Stewart Downing to do it at a high level, never a 20million player but as good as Young and a lot better than the likes of Walcott but he has got nowhere near showing it since signing for us

Downing isn't a better player than Ashley Young, he never has been, and never will be. Young scores more goals and creates more goals and always has. He's quicker, more skilful, more creative, more direct, and more versatile.

Dwoning isn't a better player than Walcott either.

It's a worthwhile point about the whole 'big club pressure' thing, and how United don't have the same problems with players unable to cope with the pressure, as we seem to.

But at the same time, players like Young are part of a big, very good squad of players, so Young has the freedom to not be in form, because Nani or Giggs is there to take that position and so the fans aren't too arsed about Young being average, because they won't have to endure it for long, it won't really matter.

Whereas we buy Downing, and HE. IS. IT.

If, and when, we have problems then we're looking at him. If he's injured then we're looking at him, the spotlight is continually on him, all season. Some players thrive on it, a la Suarez. Some flowers can only bloom in the shade of other's, a la Downing, Henderson, and even Skrtel has the same problem without Agger next to him.