You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When Rafa was sacked, a mate of mine said, "I told you he wouldn't win us the league" as if it was a golden nugget of foresight which only he had. It pissed me right off as, obviously, it's the easiest thing in the world to point the finger at your manager and say, he's not up to it.

In my opinion, we're not at a point yet where anyone can say with any degree of certainty whether Dalglish is the man for us or not.

I'm surprised to read someone saying they're not happy with our performances. I think, by and large, we're playing decent stuff and making a fair few chances in every game. Clearly there are issues (clean sheets, scoring etc) but I think issues would be there whoever the manager.

There's no problem having doubts, everyone does, but Dalgligh deserves time to put things right. He's not had 12 months yet, and given the state of the club on his arrival, I don't think any right minded person would expect him to have us much further along than he has. (Just as an aside, go back 12 months and remember how you felt about things then, I bet it's much much worse than now).

To summarise, I've got my doubts, but I've got my faith too.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

As Silverlining also so eloquently posted earlier this isn't just anyone in charge it's Kenny Dalglish. The man has been my absolute idol since 1978 and it makes my blood boil reading some of the comments on here this evening. He's a great manager. He's also going to need time and some patience from everyone. He has literally restored the soul of this great club from where we were in January which was rock bottom after a few destructive years with G&H in charge.

We should be on our hands and knees thanking him for the transformation that has occurred within the club since he has come back. He has made some mistakes but he's a canny man and should eradicate them hopefully. If it doesn't work out it won't be through lack of effort on his part.

Hear hear.

Guest San Don
It's not ok to abuse use Kenny, but it's perfectly alright to question his ability to manage this team.

Otherwise it pisses in Shankly's face.

But for what it's worth, people are only asking the question now, people aren't demanding his head, just pointing out that he's not on course for success at present. With his spending, he gets less time than Rafa before judgement on his tenure. It's only fair.

The people 'questioning' the King have the square root of fuck all experience about managing a premier league team. Yet, I heard quite a few of these so called fans saying 'why didnt he do this or that? Why did he do that?'

Tell you what, they havent a fucking clue. Questioning Dalglish what, 9 games into the season? We are as a fan base 'pissing in Shankly's face' by doing that. Do you think Shankly would say it was ok to 'question' the manager 9 games in cos I think the great man would be spinning in his grave at the way some of our fans now behave.

We need to add a manager then opt to manage man city, we then buy all our shit players for massive fees and sell their boss players to us really cheap we then delete that added manager and go on to win the league, ignore what we did and take huge satisfaction from our managing abilities.

Worked for me on football manager and I'm extremely successful.

We could be patient see how the season flows.

The people 'questioning' the King have the square root of fuck all experience about managing a premier league team. Yet, I heard quite a few of these so called fans saying 'why didnt he do this or that? Why did he do that?'

Tell you what, they havent a fucking clue. Questioning Dalglish what, 9 games into the season? We are as a fan base 'pissing in Shankly's face' by doing that. Do you think Shankly would say it was ok to 'question' the manager 9 games in cos I think the great man would be spinning in his grave at the way some of our fans now behave.

your first sentence is ridiculous.

Your second sentence can be answered with "thats the reason we come on here to have our say about our team, discuss the games".

of course we should question what he's doing, doesn't mean I don't love the man.

I think shankly would be doing exactly the same thing - telling anybody who'll listen how he'd be doing it better, doing it his way.

maybe some people are being disrespectful but I know I'm not but we should all be able to say I don't agree with what kenny did there or that was fucking brilliant what he did there without being told we're "pissing in shanklys face"

Constructive respectful criticism and opinion is fine, the day we are no longer allowed to express our opinion in a respectful way is the day we are truly and utterly fucked.

People being cunts in the way they are expressing their opinion rightfully should be told to get to fuck.

But not everyone is being a cunt, and anyone suggesting as such is just plain wrong. Many on here have put forward their point in a fair and reasonable manner.

I've seen plenty this season that makes me think we're headed in the right direction, I think some tough decisions need to be made to keep us improving and there are definitely things that need fixing but by enlarge we are looking like we are headed the right way.

Constructive respectful criticism and opinion is fine, the day we are no longer allowed to express our opinion in a respectful way is the day we are truly and utterly fucked.

People being cunts in the way they are expressing their opinion rightfully should be told to get to fuck.

All very well, but I will add one corollary. Anyone attempting to justify the existence of this thread at this stage in the season has got no respect.

Its basic premise is that he is not up to the job.

We turned on our previous manager within a handful of games many never gave him any support.

ROY FUCKING HODGSON, THAT WAS. YOU ABSOLUTE WHOPPER!

How unreasonable that on an internet discussion forum we shouldn't be able to discuss any issue related to our club. I appreciate your fragile ego leads you to being incapable of open discussion.

Why come on a discussion forum to limit the discussion of others?

Wind your fucking neck in, nobody could shut these wankers up, anyway. We've been bombarded with their (and your) worthless opinions for long enough.

We need to add a manager then opt to manage man city, we then buy all our shit players for massive fees and sell their boss players to us really cheap we then delete that added manager and go on to win the league, ignore what we did and take huge satisfaction from our managing abilities.

Worked for me on football manager and I'm extremely successful.

We could be patient see how the season flows.

this man knows.

All very well, but I will add one corollary. Anyone attempting to justify the existence of this thread at this stage in the season has got no respect.

Fuck no. I wont stand here and justify the existence of a thread that calls for his head.

Although I think the discussion has morphed into more than that in my opinion.

I think anyone who thinks we should sack him right now is entitled to their opinion but totally bonkers. If said people make their opinion in a reasonable manner I'm not going to call them cunts and what not but I will tell them I think they are dead wrong.

If said people come out with "SACK KENNY NOW! HES SHITE" or some such they can get to fuck off this site.

My point in general and I make it in no relation to this thread, is basically we should be allowed to discuss things in a fair and reasonable manner.

People not adhering to such stipulations shouldn't even be allowed on the site in my opinion. But thats another matter entirely.

Perhaps you are a more patient man than me ngogswilly. If anyone at this point is questioning the worthiness of his appointment, I don't have the time for them.

I think anyone questioning his appointment is nuts in my opinion.

I'm just a firm believer in free speech and all that jazz.

I think he's the right man, but I also think it would be insulting to him to wrap him in cotton wall and expect differently than would be of another manager.

For example, it would be ridiculous to contemplate changing any manager if we narrowly miss out on fourth. If we don't challenge, on the other hand, hard questions would have to be asked and it might be considered. That's what I'd expect of any manager, that's what I expect of Kenny - I just have more faith that he'll get it right than I would have if almost any other manager were in the same position.

There's no doubt that we've made a poor start to the season relative to the money we've spent and the matches we've had, but it's an improvement over last year and notable for the amount of chances we've been creating. It's not an exaggeration to say that we've probably been a true goalscorer away from being second or third in the table. At the same time we're a couple of central defenders away from being genuinely confident of securing fourth place.

Our current league position isn't of huge relevance. If we were top after nine games I wouldn't be convinced we were going to win the league, similarly if we were 18th I'd not be worried about

We're four points off fourth, with 27 games left. Don't panic.

We're four points ahead of Roy Hodgson's West Brom.

Why would it not be consensus, since every other signing is laid entirely at his door?

I would say Suarez is worth a lot more to the team than his proportion of our pure monetary outlay wouldn't you?

I also wonder when it became fashionable for Liverpool fans to write off players after less than half a season. Downing started off great and is now shit after a few below par games. Adam is shit one game and brilliant the next. No-one really knows what to make of Henderson in fairness. Carroll has been poor. Is that all we'll ever be able to say about those players though? I really doubt it. Finnan and Lucas were written off by many in their first season, as was Benayoun and I'm sure there were more.

Even the TLW gestalt consciousness gets the odd one wrong.

It might be boring, but I'll hold my judgement in reserve a little longer personally.

on the money. No-one's going to deny that some of the signings are not looking great business right now. I certainly have no qualms with agreeing that Kenny bought some type during his previous reign, but let's give him and the coaching team a bit of time. I'm more concerned about some of his tactical decisions, particularly around the use of subs.

My concern is one of attitude and mental strength within the squad. Spurs yesterday were pegged back to 1-1 by Stoke, had that been us then I'm 95% sure we would have succumbed to a draw or even lost that game. Spurs fought back and won 3-1.

The likes of Downing, Henderson, Carroll all look to be confidence players, and I want Kenny and Clarke to make these lads fear no-one, nothing. That's what bugs me, that we have the raw talent but we're mis-managing the mental side of things. I see a team that looks scared when we concede. Rather than the goal gets them angry and more focused, it sort of gives us a collective nervous breakdown.

Kenny needs to sit these lads down and drill the winning spirit into them, because at the moment I think his club could even suck the confidence out of messi, like his national team do.

How unreasonable that on an internet discussion forum we shouldn't be able to discuss any issue related to our club. I appreciate your fragile ego leads you to being incapable of open discussion.

Why come on a discussion forum to limit the discussion of others?

If you're not careful, you could be discussing again, the nutrition content of fry-ups, and whether pasta can be eaten with a spoon or not.

You can discuss freely any issue related to our club. Except when it involves Kenny Dalglish. He'll be coaching us for as long as he likes.

Anyway, bring on Stoke. We beat them 8-0 in a LC tie years ago. Hopefully just 1 will do on Wednesday.

I think he's the right man, but I also think it would be insulting to him to wrap him in cotton wall and expect differently than would be of another manager.

A really good point. Kenny knows the score,Managers expect criticism, its part of the job.

There is a case that Rafa suffered from a lack of crticisism from time to time.

Kenny is well able to handle the brickbats. The evidence is that he is doing as well as could reasonably be expected.

My concern is one of attitude and mental strength within the squad. Spurs yesterday were pegged back to 1-1 by Stoke, had that been us then I'm 95% sure we would have succumbed to a draw or even lost that game. Spurs fought back and won 3-1.

I'm 100% sure it was Arsenal not Spurs!

But taking your point, it would only be fair therefore to point out that this is the same Arsenal that lost 8-2 at Old Trafford and 4-3 at Blackburn, so they're mental strenght isn't perhaps something you should be using as a comparison to our mental weaknesses!