You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Centre Backs

Deepz

when?

In his 1st full season, the season we finished 2nd. Agger was fit for a lot of the season but Skrtel's form meant he was undroppable.

I'd be happy enough getting a cb in as 3rd choice since agger is crocked most of the time. I don't want to stunt the progress of our young prospects in that position though.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his 1st full season, the season we finished 2nd. Agger was fit for a lot of the season but Skrtel's form meant he was undroppable.

I'd be happy enough getting a cb in as 3rd choice since agger is crocked most of the time. I don't want to stunt the progress of our young prospects in that position though.

I think they played about the same amount that year. Agger had the back flareups and the mystery abductor strain that year right?

I think they played about the same amount that year. Agger had the back flareups and the mystery abductor strain that year right?

Hmm yeah you could be right, my memory isn't 100% clear of that season. Still, I rate Skrtel very highly and think he should start out 1st choice wether Agger is fit or not. (most likely not).

No. In 08/09 Agger was fully fit whole season. He was dropped after first CL qualification game against Standard and remain on the bench until Martin ´s ligament injury in October. After that he (and Sami) played until Christmas but after Skrtel´s return he was immediately relegated to the bench and remained there util late april where ho got 3 or 4 starts.

Abductor strain was 07/08 and back flareups were 09/10.

Well now you made me search

08-09 in the league/all comps

Carragher - 38/53

Skrtel - 21/30

Agger-17/26

I like Skrtel as I said, a very useful player for the team. I would prefer Agger any day to him though and my point was initially that we have really been let down by Agger's injury record and if we are to bring anyone in, imo they will have more of Danny's qualities.

Well now you made me search

08-09 in the league/all comps

Carragher - 38/53

Skrtel - 21/30

Agger-17/26

I like Skrtel as I said, a very useful player for the team. I would prefer Agger any day to him though and my point was initially that we have really been let down by Agger's injury record and if we are to bring anyone in, imo they will have more of Danny's qualities.

Stats are true, but I wanted to pint at the fact that Skrtel was sitting on the bench just in 4 games when Agger was n the field. And Daniel was substitute in 26 games in which we had Martin on the field.....

• 3 months later...
I don´t have special relationship with him, bar the fact that we are both Slovaks so I have a weak spot for him and have a need to defend him often because I think he is not treated as some other players. ;)

You say that he played reasonably well second half of the season and in the next sentence you say that his main strength is dragging people down....So during those months he was probably dragging them better than never and never got caught....that is why he was good.

I don´t think he is world class, but he is strong defender, with pace, excellent tackler, with good positioning and reading of the game, with solid skills on the ball and passing. His weaknesses are heading ( improved a lot recently), rashness at times, and lapses of concentration sometimes ( he can be beast for 89 minutes and then makes one stupid thing which he is remebered for ).

Dear Dracco. I just realised today you've been right all along.

Skrtel is not a right back. He can get away with it against a weak team as he won't be under pressure. As it happens Gareth Bale can make even a world class right back have nightmares with his pace. So I won't be getting too carried away about Skrtel on today's evidence.

Mind you, he was stupid for the second foul.

Skrtel is not a right back. He can get away with it against a weak team as he won't be under pressure. As it happens Gareth Bale can make even a world class right back have nightmares with his pace. So I won't be getting too carried away about Skrtel on today's evidence.

Mind you, he was stupid for the second foul.

I´ve defended him against people claiming about his brain farts from time to time, but today I saw it. Needless stupid foul when you are on yellow.

Hopefully his confidence will not gecrease after this and he will bounce back.

That said, I am not sure about both of his yellow´s. They were soft to say the least. But he should never went against Bale that way he did.

Stupid decision. The only one worse decision I can remember from recent months was stupid Peter Crouch tackle against Real Madrid which saw him sent off after 15 minutes of game.1

We need to drop Carra and start playing Coates now, tbf. Coates is the future for us but can also make an instant impact, and showed vs Tottenham that he is a very good defender. A pairing of Agger-Coates is quite salivating, and no longer will we have to see hoofing during matches. Sorry Carra, you were a great defender back in the day, but your time is up.

We need to drop Carra and start playing Coates now' date=' tbf. Coates is the future for us but can also make an instant impact, and showed vs Tottenham that he is a very good defender. A pairing of Agger-Coates is quite salivating, and no longer will we have to see hoofing during matches. Sorry Carra, you were a great defender back in the day, but your time is up.[/quote']

The trouble is as good as Agger is he's going to spend half the season out. Agreed Carragher is a complete liability now but we need to buy again, dont have enough at the moment.

Tommy, if he's not quick enough for full back then he's not quick enough for centre back.

The days of lumbering centre backs are over, you just cannot get away with a lack of pace these days, it's utterly unforgiveable, you're dead meat.

I agree that it's better to have at least one CB with pace. Not sure both have to be quick, because that would suggest that a 25 year old Sami Hyypia would struggle in the Premiership "these days" which is obviously fucking bollocks.

Of course Skrtel can play at right back, just like he could play centre forward or in the 'hole'. He just wouldn't do it very well. That's why he shouldn't play there, ever again.

For the next game, I'd play a flat back four with Carragher on the right and a lucky dip two of either Agger, Coates or Skrtel.

It's essential we start grinding out some clean sheets. When we've been in ruts before that's the way we've tended to come out of them.

Silvers,

Agreed, but for fucks sake have at least ONE defender with some pace.

Hyypia was magestic, and those long legs gave him a chance to get a tackle in early, as he usually read the direction in which an attacker would try to move.

But playing with Skrtel, Coates and Carragher is bordering on suicide. Didi Hamann could streak past them.

Silvers,

Agreed, but for fucks sake have at least ONE defender with some pace.

Hyypia was magestic, and those long legs gave him a chance to get a tackle in early, as he usually read the direction in which an attacker would try to move.

But playing with Skrtel, Coates and Carragher is bordering on suicide. Didi Hamann could streak past them.

Coates is very much like Hyypia in his playing style. He doesn't need to be really quick, because he has good anticipation and long legs.

Said it in the Summer, we needed a top class centre-back to come straight into the side(Cahill), and another as backup(Coates). Starting the season with a clearly over the hill Carra, and Danny Agger was a bit naive imo.

It really should have been a priority for us but even when we did sign someone we left it until late on and he's a kid who's going to take time to settle anyway.