You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best memories on the Kop.

Magic Sponge

There's no better feeling than being stood there, in the closing minutes of a game, nervous as fuck, willing the ball into net and then the roar of the crowd as the ball crosses the line.

The feeling of pride as You'll never walk alone gets belted out, or the buzz from recieving respectful applause from another teams player.

I never experienced the old Kop, it must of been unreal.

I'd been in the Main Stand a few times but my first experience of standing on the kop was the 2-1 Milk Cup game v United in 1985. Fuck knows why me Dad decided to take me on The Kop for that one, I was only 6. Me elder brothers were there as well and I remember being sat on a barrier, in the middle 2/3rds down with loads of the fellas around me looking out for me. Can remember all 3 goals clear as day. And I only got scared on the way out when I lost me arl fella by the exits Main Road side. Some fella scooped me up and passed me back to me Dad, I was probably lost for about 20 seconds but it felt like an eternity. And I saw this goal, and just look at the Kop celebrations. Boss scenes. Bedlam

I'd been in the Main Stand a few times but my first experience of standing on the kop was the 2-1 Milk Cup game v United in 1985. Fuck knows why me Dad decided to take me on The Kop for that one, I was only 6. Me elder brothers were there as well and I remember being sat on a barrier, in the middle 2/3rds down with loads of the fellas around me looking out for me. Can remember all 3 goals clear as day. And I only got scared on the way out when I lost me arl fella by the exits Main Road side. Some fella scooped me up and passed me back to me Dad, I was probably lost for about 20 seconds but it felt like an eternity. And I saw this goal, and just look at the Kop celebrations. Boss scenes. Bedlam

Molby gave a speech at a work bonding day we had at Anfield last year. He said that Shanks said he scored the best goal he had ever seen but the cameras never got it. Is that the goal?

Guest ShoePiss
Molby gave a speech at a work bonding day we had at Anfield last year. He said that Shanks said he scored the best goal he had ever seen but the cameras never got it. Is that the goal?

No it wasn't Shankly who said that, he wasn't around by then sadly.

Maybe not the best memory but certainly a strange one. Liverpool vs Valencia in 1998. The teams walked out and we were wondering why Liverpool's kit looked more orange than normal. Then it became apparent that Liverpool were wearing all white. At Anfield! The daft sods at Valencia had forgotten to pack their regular home kit (white shirts, black shorts) for the trip. It finished goalless, both sides lacked a cutting edge, Liverpool had more drive, Valencia more finesse, and it was the first time I saw Gaizka Mendieta play. I thought he looked a boss player then, and for about 3-4 years he was amongst the best midfielders in the world. He made a mistake in moving to Serie A and was never quite the same player thereafter.

Forest in the league game December 1978.

They were on a 42 match unbeaten run and had knocked us out the European Cup at Anfield in the September.

The Kop gates were locked before 2 0'clock and the place was absolutely rammed.

The Forest team came onto the pitch about 2.15 all suited and booted and walked slowly down towards the Kop in what could only have been an orchestrated attempt to wind the place up and it worked. It went fucking mental. I've still not heard noise like it at Anfield since - not even Chelsea in 05 - and there was still 45 minutes to go before kick off.

A Terry Mac brace - including a pen - took care of business.

Fuck 'em all, Fuck 'em all

At Anfield the Forest will fall

Cos we won't be mastered

By Cloughie's red bastards

Cos we are the cream of them all

Already mentioned but ..

The Milk Cup game v the mancs in 85,

The 7- 0 thrashing of Spurs in 78 l think,

also the 5-0 against Forest was pretty good,

and we played Spurs in the FA Cup one year, l think there was a dusting of snow on the ground, pretty tense affair, the Kop went crazy when Rushie knocked the winner in.

Off topic but Arsenal in 89 the worst by a long shot ....surreal.

Good shout. Forest games were bigger than the manc games then because they were more of a threat. Think it was the following season we played a 2 legged league cup semi final and Forest did the walk up to the Kop again. The noise again was deafening particulary because everyone used to whistle. It was loud enough when 1 person did it next to you but with 28 k around you it hurt! This time John Robertson ran up to the penalty spot, put an imaginary ball down, took a simulated penalty in his usual style and shook his fist at the Kop... cue ' ONE FATTY ROBBO !' from the Kop

Already mentioned but ..

The Milk Cup game v the mancs in 85,

The 7- 0 thrashing of Spurs in 78 l think,

also the 5-0 against Forest was pretty good,

and we played Spurs in the FA Cup one year, l think there was a dusting of snow on the ground, pretty tense affair, the Kop went crazy when Rushie knocked the winner in.Off topic but Arsenal in 89 the worst by a long shot ....surreal.

4th round in 84/85

Not thought about that game in ages. Wasn't snow it was frost I think and despite the undersoil heating the game was in doubt almost up to kick off.

Lech Poznan '83 European Cup.Once again gates locked 1 hr before kick off but it was wet outside and the steam rising from the crowd on the Kop made it hard to see the pitch. The place was rammed and eventhough we tried our hardest to rally the team they went out.But that night reminds me of what the old kop was like - no chance of getting out for a piss/pie/pint at half time and a constant battle for 2 and a half hours to stay on your feet.

Not historically significant at all but I remember fondly details of my first derby. Used to go to games with my dad, a friend's dad, uncle or anyone who offered throughout the 70's but never got to a derby until '79. It was 2-2 and despite not holding on to the lead I'll never forget the feeling when Ray Kennedy scored Kop end to make it 2-1 and send the place beserk.

My Evertonian mate went in the Kop that day just to see what it was like and monday at school he said he actually had to cover his ears it was so loud at times - then again he was used to the Gwladys Street at the time.

That's the goal he was talking about alright. He probably did tell you Shanks said that too. We were drinking with him one night, in 2009, he told us that he dribbled past 3 players ans stuck it in the top corner from 40 yards. Great goal, but he really over exaggerated how good it was.

It wasn't released at that time, he said LFC TV were at him to hand the tape over. he did a few months later. I think he should have kept the tape to himself.

The 04/05 season was the first season that my dad and I started to go to the matches.

Without a doubt my best memory is the chelsea game in 05. Somehow my dad had got tickets in the 4th row of the kop right behind the goal. I think the first three rows were closed for security reasons or something?

When Luis scored all I remember is the huge explosion of noise and excitement from behind me and it was fucking magic.

'97 second 4-3 v barcodes. My first visit. My lad was only 8. I remember being dumstruck that we were at 3 all as they only had 3 shots!! Felt like 10 mins to go. Fowlers winner unfolded beautifully in front of us and the place went balistic!!!! They kicked off and the ref blew up for time!! an awe inspiring day alround.