You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

This feels like seeing the bird you have fancied for years kopping off with the bloke whose skull you'd happily stove in!

This is gonna hurt every time he scores or sets up a goal for Torres

What a load of rubbish.

Downing every day of the week. Mata is lightweight and unproven in the premier league. If he'd joined us and made the start Downing has you'd be trumping on about what "world beater" he is.

What a load of rubbish.

Downing every day of the week. Mata is lightweight and unproven in the premier league. If he'd joined us and made the start Downing has you'd be trumping on about what "world beater" he is.

Ignoring the fact Downing is 4 years older, Mata was with the senior squad when they lifted the World Cup -in that team competition for places in the midfield is rather tight i imagine - yet he's got 11 caps and an impressive 4 goals. He's weighed in with 46 goals and 45 assists in 174 games for Valencia. He isn't touted as potential world-class without reason. He is an immense player. And them rent boys have got an amazing deal if them figures are true. Suggesting Downing is better is a tad naive, as its complete tosh.

David Silva was too lightweight for the premiership too wasn't he?

Ignoring the fact Downing is 4 years older, Mata was with the senior squad when they lifted the World Cup -in that team competition for places in the midfield is rather tight i imagine - yet he's got 11 caps and an impressive 4 goals. He's weighed in with 46 goals and 45 assists in 174 games for Valencia. He isn't touted as potential world-class without reason. He is an immense player. And them rent boys have got an amazing deal if them figures are true. Suggesting Downing is better is a tad naive, as its complete tosh.

David Silva was too lightweight for the premiership too wasn't he?

Not by my reckoning.

Sounds like typical fanciful "foreigners are all awesome" to me.

Fair play if he proves me wrong, but its pointless pointing out statistics and what they have achieved thus far. For every Alonso theres a Veron. For every Henry theres a Morientes. Many a big name reputation have not cut it here. Reyes arrived at Arsenal full of potential and promise and but never fulfilled it.

For me, rebuilding as we are we are, Mata is too much of a gamble. If he fails at Chelsea they'll stick him on the bench and sign someone else.

What a load of rubbish.

Dont know how good Mata is but we have to remember Kenny played with Wilcox and Ripley on his wings at Blackburn when I thought about this Downing seemed to be like Kennys choice for the left really think he is now considering Johnson for the right if Kelly can make the right back berth his,

Not by my reckoning.

Sounds like typical fanciful "foreigners are all awesome" to me.

Fair play if he proves me wrong, but its pointless pointing out statistics and what they have achieved thus far. For every Alonso theres a Veron. For every Henry theres a Morientes. Many a big name reputation have not cut it here. Reyes arrived at Arsenal full of potential and promise and but never fulfilled it.

For me, rebuilding as we are we are, Mata is too much of a gamble. If he fails at Chelsea they'll stick him on the bench and sign someone else.

For my sins (and love of football obviously) i have a Sky Sports subscription. One of the unheralded aspects of access to Sky Sports is the La Liga coverage - its absolutely ace, and as such i very often watch the games - and Valencia feature regularly. My claim of him being immense is not based on me assuming because he's got a nice foreign name and is boss on footy manager - its because i watch him, and he is.

I agree it is a gamble because not all players transfer their la liga form into the Premiership (Poulsen anyone?), but the most talented one's will succeed anywhere. Mata is a snip at that price, but as you say - it means nothing to them - if he doesn't set the place on fire - he'll be replaced by next years flavour of the month in August. The gigantic cunts.

Id have loved us too sign Mata this summer but i think a proper winger was what we needed this summer.Im hoping that nobody signs Hazard and we can get a shot at him next summer,Kuyt will not be a first teamer next season imo.

For my sins (and love of football obviously) i have a Sky Sports subscription. One of the unheralded aspects of access to Sky Sports is the La Liga coverage - its absolutely ace, and as such i very often watch the games - and Valencia feature regularly. My claim of him being immense is not based on me assuming because he's got a nice foreign name and is boss on footy manager - its because i watch him, and he is.

I agree it is a gamble because not all players transfer their la liga form into the Premiership (Poulsen anyone?), but the most talented one's will succeed anywhere. Mata is a snip at that price, but as you say - it means nothing to them - if he doesn't set the place on fire - he'll be replaced by next years flavour of the month in August. The gigantic cunts.

It will be interesting to see how he does. By way of comparison I never expected Van der Vaart to be anywhere near as good as he has been. He was indeed a snip.

As for the Sky Sports subscription, I think you should cancel it immediately and join me in the sobering, honest and vintage Radio 5 live world. We'll soon find out how good Mata is when Alan Green gives his verdict on a freezing wet Tuesday night commentary. Unless Lawro beats him to it, in which case turn it off.

What a load of rubbish.

Thats the one thing I think put Kenny off. Downing has surprised me. Hoping Henderson does the same.

irish daily star linked us with kevin doyle today i like him think he could be decent cover for saurez and carroll thoughts.

Behave!

If it was anyone bar Kenny being linked with those kind of players, especially considering who we have as strikers already, you'd be screaming blue murder!

I know Downing has been decent and all that, but fucking hell, you'd swear he's already proven himself to be a resounding success already the way people go on.

Mata will be fucking brilliant, and his ceiling is far far higher than that of Downing. I'm just a bit peeved that it was a case of 'either or', we should have bought both. 'Tis a bit of a shame.

I know nothing of Hazard, except what i read on here. Lille will not let him go cheaply next year - and paying £20m+ for a player from the French League is potential suicide.

Not this lad, he's an exceptional talent.

I'd also like to see us keep an eye on shaqiri at Basel, another proper wide talent.

Bear in mind sterling should be knocking on the door in a year hopefully, but we will see.

I know nothing of Hazard, except what i read on here. Lille will not let him go cheaply next year - and paying £20m+ for a player from the French League is potential suicide.

Got a point there. I'm struggling to think of a 10-20M La Liga signing that turned out to be tosh but in comparison you can reel of a trailer load from the French and Italian leagues. We bought half of them!

I know Downing has been decent and all that, but fucking hell, you'd swear he's already proven himself to be a resounding success already the way people go on.

Mata will be fucking brilliant, and his ceiling is far far higher than that of Downing. I'm just a bit peeved that it was a case of 'either or', we should have bought both. 'Tis a bit of a shame.

'Tis the truth

We went for Premiership experience over potential quality this summer and I think that's why there's no chance we'll see the likes of Coates either.

This isn't a criticism, it's a statement of fact. I can only guess Kenny and co thought that this summer there was no room for gambling, so we went with players who offer low risk and lower potential reward. Whether that decision will prove itself or not, we'll see in May.

So really, the likes of Mata were non-starters. Not convinced we were ever in for him.

His pace is frightening, that's about all I can remember of him against us. He scared the shit out the defence. In that game he reminded me of Macca, he seemed to be able to run faster with the ball and liked to cut inside to threaten with a strike.

Dont know how good Mata is but we have to remember Kenny played with Wilcox and Ripley on his wings at Blackburn when I thought about this Downing seemed to be like Kennys choice for the left really think he is now considering Johnson for the right if Kelly can make the right back berth his,

The skill level has increased since them days.