You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Weekend games

Dan Vito Corleone

Iniesta might not have the razzle dazzle that some players possess, but for me he's the best footballer on the planet. He's an abslolute joy to watch.

Him & Xavi are the two most intelligent footballers ont he planet. Messi has the raw ability but its those two who make Barca & Spain tick.

Players that make the game look easy have always been my favourites. Xavi & Iniesta do exactly that. In terms of football greats i've always tended to prefer Beckenbauer, Cruyff & Zidane over the likes of Maradona, Best etc

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Him & Xavi are the two most intelligent footballers ont he planet. Messi has the raw ability but its those two who make Barca & Spain tick.

Players that make the game look easy have always been my favourites. Xavi & Iniesta do exactly that. In terms of football greats i've always tended to prefer Beckenbauer, Cruyff & Zidane over the likes of Maradona, Best etc

100 % agree with that.

We should look at Marin from Werder.

He played with Ozil last season and if anything is a better dribbler than Ozil. Marin was quality against Spurs and would be great for us. I started having a look more closely at him when someone posted (wrongly) on here that they had seen him in the Albert Dock. I think he'll be just as good as Ozil, Muller and Kroos. Germany are nailed on for at least one major International tournament in the next 10 years I would say

Don't forget Sam of Leverkusen, he looks the part as well. The Germans are really well stocked with pace (especially if you count Muller of Bayern too) in their youth players.

George Costanza, that's a great post, mate. I may have misread it though, but I don't know how you can't say that Maradona made the game look easy. That second goal against England in '86 is arguably the most natural looking piece of skill I've ever seen.

Brilliant post, mate.

The Liverpool 87-89 team I mentioned earlier, I know and we'd probably all agree that Barnes was the most outstanding player in that team yet I always preferred Beardsley. Funnily one thing that has always remained in my memory about PB is his hook tackle. Not something you'd associate with him but his ability at chasing back and hook, slide tackling and coming up with the ball was absolutely amazing. Rush was renowed for defending from the front but i don't think i've ever seen a forward tackle so precisely as Peter, not just winning the ball but coming away with it and being able to set up another attack. A bizarre irrational memeory of a former player but there you go

George Costanza, that's a great post, mate. I may have misread it though, but I don't know how you can't say that Maradona made the game look easy. That second goal against England in '86 is arguably the most natural looking piece of skill I've ever seen.

Brilliant post, mate.

I agree about that goal. It didn't take outrageous skill or anythin just sheer confidence in ability and technique. But & this cannot be any critic of Maradona.... he could do things that only he could possibly do. He & i think Messi are just out on their own in terms of footballing ability. BUT i just love seeing top players doing the simple things but to an almost prefect level. Whether that be a control & pass or a prefectly timed tackle. I can't explain it. i used to watch Zidane & for the most part nothing of what he did was extraordinary to a decent footballer but the level of control he has & consistency of control & passing was extraordinary. Not sure i've explained it right there.... can't quite put into word what my brain is thinking and trying to explain it.

I agree about that goal. It didn't take outrageous skill or anythin just sheer confidence in ability and technique. But & this cannot be any critic of Maradona.... he could do things that only he could possibly do. He & i think Messi are just out on their own in terms of footballing ability. BUT i just love seeing top players doing the simple things but to an almost prefect level. Whether that be a control & pass or a prefectly timed tackle. I can't explain it. i used to watch Zidane & for the most part nothing of what he did was extraordinary to a decent footballer but the level of control he has & consistency of control & passing was extraordinary. Not sure i've explained it right there.... can't quite put into word what my brain is thinking and trying to explain it.

I know what you mean and I totally agree.

Which is why I love Xabi so much.

Yep Xabi is another in that mould. Like Molby 20 years ago. Is it that long ago? good gracious me.

people might go on & on about about footballing being faster, stronger & fitter. Nothing absolute nothing can beat an intelligent footballer imo. They are a very rare breed nowadays and the difference between a good side & a great one.

Don't worry, mate, I think I know what you're getting at.

You instantly know players with brains. I was saying to my mate a while back that before Steven Gerrard became THE Steven Gerrard we all know now, I always rated Dietmar Hamann as the best player I've ever seen in a red shirt. Before anybody jumps in, I'm 22 and only started properly going the match around '96 so I obviously didn't see the great teams we had in the 70s and 80s.

Anyway, Fowler is my all time player to wear the shirt. I spent hours as a kid banging a ball against the wall shouting 'FOWLER' in my best commentators voice and the goals he scored just oozed natural ability, sheer footballing intelligence and genuine class.

The thing with Hamann though, for me, was that he made the game look simple. With Fowler, you knew that he was a one off. The things he did were truly special. Hamann, however, did the things that everybody's capable of absolutely brilliantly. The way he could win a tackle with such precision, the way he could pick out a pass, the way he always made himself available for the easy ball, the way he could win a free-kick (what an arse, by the way)- it was all just the basics done superbly well. Watching Hamann, it was then I realised that football was played with your head.

I'm not comparing Hamann to Iniesta or Xavi (two wonderful players, and two who I love watching), but I hope I'm speaking on the same abstract lines as yourself.

I'm probably just chatting shite though!

That dickhead headline from the Mail after the 2008 World Player Of The Year Awards still makes me angry.

'THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD (AND XAVI)'

Spot on. Shame Shearer doesn't seem to agree "2 years ago that would only be a yellow, it's only because of the current climate that a red got given".

Also Shearer claiming it was actually a pen, Dann was nowhere near him.

Aye. I could have cheerfully chinned Shearer for those ridiculous bits of punditry, the pube headed twerp.

Don't worry, mate, I think I know what you're getting at.

You instantly know players with brains. I was saying to my mate a while back that before Steven Gerrard became THE Steven Gerrard we all know now, I always rated Dietmar Hamann as the best player I've ever seen in a red shirt. Before anybody jumps in, I'm 22 and only started properly going the match around '96 so I obviously didn't see the great teams we had in the 70s and 80s.

Anyway, Fowler is my all time player to wear the shirt. I spent hours as a kid banging a ball against the wall shouting 'FOWLER' in my best commentators voice and the goals he scored just oozed natural ability, sheer footballing intelligence and genuine class.

The thing with Hamann though, for me, was that he made the game look simple. With Fowler, you knew that he was a one off. The things he did were truly special. Hamann, however, did the things that everybody's capable of absolutely brilliantly. The way he could win a tackle with such precision, the way he could pick out a pass, the way he always made himself available for the easy ball, the way he could win a free-kick (what an arse, by the way)- it was all just the basics done superbly well. Watching Hamann, it was then I realised that football was played with your head.

I'm not comparing Hamann to Iniesta or Xavi (two wonderful players, and two who I love watching), but I hope I'm speaking on the same abstract lines as yourself.

I'm probably just chatting shite though!

Nope your speaking absolute sense. You could also say the same about Mcallister too. Fowler was a genuis that only things Robbie could do. Along with Batistuta he was joint best maybe the 2nd best natural finisher of his time. Another ex player i'd like to mention even though he only played briefly was Litmanen. Wonderful vision, a slow player but always a step ahead of his opponents thanks to that bit between his ears.

With these types of players you're not sure how much is a gift & how much is just fucking hard work. I'm sure i speak for every fan on the planet when saying there's nothing more infuriating seeing a professional footballer not being able to pass a ball 10 yards or controlling one.

Nope your speaking absolute sense. You could also say the same about Mcallister too. Fowler was a genuis that only things Robbie could do. Along with Batistuta he was joint best maybe the 2nd best natural finisher of his time. Another ex player i'd like to mention even though he only played briefly was Litmanen. Wonderful vision, a slow player but always a step ahead of his opponents thanks to that bit between his ears.

With these types of players you're not sure how much is a gift & how much is just fucking hard work. I'm sure i speak for every fan on the planet when saying there's nothing more infuriating seeing a professional footballer not being able to pass a ball 10 yards or controlling one.

Ha ha- definitely! I think you're spot on with the bit I've highlighted, mate. My dad played against Jason McAteer at Sunday League level before he signed for Marine and when he was a mere glass collector down a pub by ours, but anyway, he said that McAteer was nowhere near one of the best on his team, but instead of going down the boozer after the game with the rest of the lads, he'd hang back on the pitch and put himself through drills and the like.

There have been lads I've known who have been brilliant footballers and looked certs to make the grade, but they've failed to, either through their own ineptitude (and I've got a funny story about one lad in partilcuar) or lack of work ethic.

Spot on about McAllister and Litmanen. Two wonderful footballers. Both a joy to watch. I think you have to have that bit of ability in the first place, but also a good, strong mentality as well.

That's my tuppence worth anyway on the matter.

Zidane is my all time favourite player. Purely his graceful but effective movement did it for me. Art on a football pitch that man. Nothing like a footballer who makes you smile everytime you watch them.