You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really early days still.

Lets not hope too much for an immediate difference. The Squad's already showing promise. This season is all about rebuilding, with the current players we have.

Plus I can't see another big name player coming in, until maybe the owners have left and we have no idea how long they'll cling in there.

Jova impressed me the most. There were a couple of times where he was getting hacked by 3 players at the same time and he managed to retain possession.

Poulsen seemed to dwell on the ball a bit too long for my liking but I guess he's not 100% match fit yet.

I would have liked to have seen Aquilani in the side as his one touch play is arguably better than a lot of the players that were on the pitch tonight.

Just got in from the match and pretty much the only thing I have got to say is that Poulsen and Lucas should never ever play together again. There is just no reason to play two defensive mids at home against inferior opposition, and it really set us back tonight.

They both play much too deep isolating the frontmen and meaning Maxi and Jovo have to come in off the wing to take the ball off them.

The game was rather disappointing, the result very good. Both recent games seem to follow the same pattern, we set up for counterattack, defend deep, and find it hard to keep the ball. The counterattacks are dangerous, though, with Cole, Jovanovic, and Torres (add Gerrard, as well) capable of doing something unexpected.

Overall I'd prefer to approach the game with more "Liverpool" than a smaller team attitude. I hope the passing and keeping the possession comes when the players get to work with the manager a bit longer. At the moment we are not playing well, the next game will be interesting as ManC is in a bit of a must win situation after all the spending, Mancini is already on thin ice.

There is just no reason to play two defensive mids at home against inferior opposition, and it really set us back tonight.

They both play much too deep isolating the frontmen and meaning Maxi and Jovo have to come in off the wing to take the ball off them.

We know there is no reason, you can take Rafa out of the formation, but it seems you can't take the formation out of the team.

At least, when Ngog came on near the end, we changed it a bit.

What do you know that he can do?

I know for instance, that he can run like an retard into a defender time and time again.

I know he can disapear from matches when he doesn't fancy it.

I know he has the ability to pick out a keeper from out wide with deadly accuracy.

I know that when you need to scrap and battle, you best keep on the bench.

Babels run of poor form has last three seasons.

I know that since he's been here, he has been either stuck out of position, stuck on the bench, or left out of the squad. I also know that when he has played, and played in his best position, he has the ability to win a game. He also has pace aplenty and he needs it given the way we play.

He isn't the best player here, he's had his mares like everyone else, but he has quality when he's allowed to produce it. He was last night, and he did. He isn't in Torres league, none of our other forwards are, but him and Kuyt are the best "back-up" forwards that we currently have.

Edited by mypost

I know that since he's been here, he has been either stuck out of position, stuck on the bench, or left out of the squad. I also know that when he has played, and played in his best position, he has the ability to win a game. He also has pace aplenty and he needs it given the way we play.

He isn't the best player here, he's had his mares like everyone else, but he has quality when he's allowed to produce it. He was last night, and he did. He isn't in Torres league, none of our other forwards are, but him and Kuyt are the best "back-up" forwards that we currently have.

He's shit, get over it!

After some of the performances last season I took heart from that performance - no Gerrard, Skrtel, Johnson, Agger, Mascherano, Torres (first half), Kuyt - it showed we have a solid squad and we could have and maybe should have won 2- 0.

Poulson grew into the game and made some good passes, he was always going to be rusty but I think he'll go a job for us.

Jovo looks ok on the left and I like his fighting spirit, has a good touch and seems able to beat a man. I think the plaudits he is getting are abit over the top so far though.

Cole needs games and needs to get used to playing in that position, someone said he hasn't played there for 7 years or something at it shows. He'll only get better and that's 2 assists for him now which is pretty good. Once we've got a fully fit first eleven he can only get better.

Overall I'm positive about the last few games. As for comments on our style of play etc...it's far too early to make any judgements yet.

. As for comments on our style of play etc...it's far too early to make any judgements yet.

I don't think it's too early to comment on our style of play. We played two holding midfielders again at home against a team we should have scored 3 or 4 against. It was just like all of last seasons frustrating home games all over again.

Babel took his goal well but did nothing else.

Cole, as mentioned above needs time to get used to his new position (is it just me or does he look taller than he used to in the Chelsea kit?). Terrible penalty too.

Poulsen - no comment yet as it was like a pre-season game for him.

Jovo - I like his attitude but he has the running style of Ronnie Rosenthal.

Maxi - struggled to get involved

Nice to see the Kid back too, he looked that bit sharper than on Sunday.

I wouldn't ever play Lucas and Poulsen together in midfield again. I thought that they were very similar in styles and didn't ever look like they would make any penetrating passes. Some may say that was similar to Masch and Lucas all last season, hense the reason we were so bad on so many occasions. Joe Cole should never have taken that penalty for us. We were one up, not 4 up! The guy hasn't taken a pen since he was 13 apparently. A good choice would be to have Jovanovic taking it. He has a brilliant track record in Belguim. I would have brought on Pacheco instead of Ngog as I think that the change in system had a detrimental affect on the way we played in the last 20 or so minutes. All in all, we were very unlucky not to win by 3 or 4 goals but they didn't quite play well enough for me last night.

It's real early days and there's a mixture of not match fit and post-World Cup players at the moment. Roy's done pretty well so far with what he's had at his disposal.

I would have liked to have seen our full backs push on further & I hope we do get more players forward as the season progresses.

Poulson looked pretty assured for a player who has hardly kicked a ball at Juve. I also think Soto would be getting far more plaudits if he hadn't been so cheap.

Cole was promising I thought, although I'd still be tempted to play Stevie G as the most attacking central midfielder and have Cole on the right. Still, quietly going about his business is Roy so far and we'll see what happens.

I thought the football was a bit crap for most of the game except about 15 minutes in the second half. We don't seem to be able to keep the balla nd Carra is playing far too many aimless long balls up the pitch.

We defend too deep as well.

Yep, but with the abundance in pace at the back, I think we had to last night.

There was flashes last night, the interaction between Torres and Jovo, Cole and Jovo, and Cole and Maxi etc, little bits of imagination that will open up tight defences.

One of the reasons that I really don't want Crouch is that it just gives Carr another excuse to hit it long.

Yep, but with the abundance in pace at the back, I think we had to last night.

There was flashes last night, the interaction between Torres and Jovo, Cole and Jovo, and Cole and Maxi etc, little bits of imagination that will open up tight defences.

One of the reasons that I really don't want Crouch is that it just gives Carr another excuse to hit it long.

With the defenders we have, we'll never be solid in the air have pace.

Only the Greek is really good in the air and none of them are quick except maybe Skrtel.

A new centre back is needed so we can defend higher up the pitch imo.

With the defenders we have, we'll never be solid in the air have pace.

Only the Greek is really good in the air and none of them are quick except maybe Skrtel.

A new centre back is needed so we can defend higher up the pitch imo.

What about Kelly? I have always thought we need a centre half, but there doesn't seem to be that much about, I don't see the point in the Greek! Not criticising him because he is what he is, but I would rather have had Ayala play last night.

What about Kelly? I have always thought we need a centre half, but there doesn't seem to be that much about, I don't see the point in the Greek! Not criticising him because he is what he is, but I would rather have had Ayala play last night.

I don't think Kelly is ready to play centre back regularly.

I like the Greek, he's great in the air when the rest of our senior defenders are average in the air. Or shit in the air in Skrtel's case.

I don't think Kelly is ready to play centre back regularly.

I like the Greek, he's great in the air when the rest of our senior defenders are average in the air. Or shit in the air in Skrtel's case.

I think they are going to have to be rotated this year, and like it. I agree we need height though.