You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression we were trying to build a squad comprised of youth and experience? We now have Poulson, Lucas, Aquilani, Gerrard, Jovanovic, Cole, Maxi, Kuyt, Spearing and Shelvey vying for 5 places. Competition for places and strength in depth. Is that not what we've been crying out for?

This is the point.

Our squad had got threadbare & you are not going to have 25 megastars in there so why we are decrying an experienced international for the squad is beyond me. Would we rather have £ 4.5m in the Yanks' bank account ?

I am also happy that he may add a decent aerial presence when defending set pieces.

From Figaro from YNWa, he's a Sevilla fan:

but he really isn't that dirty - of course he can handle himself when the going gets rough and gives as good as he gets but the guy was one of the most astute players I've ever seen.

At Sevilla he made even the crapiest midfielder look good. Poulsen is part of the reason Barca snapped up Keita. Keita is good but playing alongside Poulsen made him look world-class. Look at what Sevilla won in the two seasons he was with us. The midfield was awesome - made even crazier with the roadrunner that is Alves overlapping Navas. Keita and Poulsen were magnificent. Poulsen always seemed two minutes ahead of the game - he was very very rarely caught out of position.

From Figaro from YNWa, he's a Sevilla fan:

but he really isn't that dirty - of course he can handle himself when the going gets rough and gives as good as he gets but the guy was one of the most astute players I've ever seen.

At Sevilla he made even the crapiest midfielder look good. Poulsen is part of the reason Barca snapped up Keita. Keita is good but playing alongside Poulsen made him look world-class. Look at what Sevilla won in the two seasons he was with us. The midfield was awesome - made even crazier with the roadrunner that is Alves overlapping Navas. Keita and Poulsen were magnificent. Poulsen always seemed two minutes ahead of the game - he was very very rarely caught out of position.

0000EA01-0BDD-1CC4-A92B80BFB6FA01B4.jpg

If were going on what players did ages ago!

De Rossi is horribly over rated mate, actually is he even rated? He has done nothing of any real note in his career except a horrible dirty elbow on McBride to warrant any attention whatsoever , wouldn't want him anywhere near LFC.

danny boy, you know your stuff, glad your on here mate

If we are aiming for mid table, might get into the Europa League status then I agree that both are good enough. However if we wish to challenge for the Champions League then we are going to need creativity in our midfield and sticking with the same system which was so uninspiring last season but downgrading our defensive capabilities will only take us backwards.

zig, you really have started to speak alot of sense in your posts, are you taking drugs?

What an ignorant fucker. Of course he's a downgrade on Mascherano, just about any player in the world is. Certainly for 2.75m up front.

Hard man? What the fuck! I'm just about the least hard man on here. Unless I'm fucking your Mum and sister, then I'm hard.

Yeah, well done. I'm well up for needlessly traveling 200+ miles just to be told I'm an idiot. Like I said, next time I'm in the city - which will be after the takeover - I'll meet them and no mark tossers like you can shut the fuck up.

Okay mate. Fuck it, I'm booking a train ticket now. That's it! I can't take being called a coward on a forum. Tell you what, I'll meet you tomorrow in Bangladesh underneath the old oak tree. If you're not there, you're a coward. Come on, I've 'called you out'. It's always the same with people like you.

Time to grow up, young man.

how the fuck can you tell him to grow up after writing such bullshit?

i exposed you on my thread and you banged on and on about how im a prick and not funny.....

then you come out with this pile of shit?

it has taken me 2 seconds to realise that you have been shooting your mouth off on here, and then when "offered out" you didnt turn up....what a fucking pussy

back your mouth or go and support man utd.......fucking cocksuker.

and learn that "mum and dad" disses, went out in the 80's, silly cunt.

This place is a joke these days you know.

I wouldn't mind the signing of Poulsen if we'd already got a striker and a left back, but the problems we had last season (lack of cover for Torres, no quality left back) are still there going into our opener Vs Arsenal. We've had a whole summer to sort it out and were going into the season with the left back and striking combinations that failed so miserably last season.

Poulsen was very good at Sevilla. He has lost a little of his pace in Italy though, so not sure if he'll be fast enough for the PL, but if we can get the La Liga Poulsen playing here, then it isn't a bad buy by any means.

im hoping his lack of pace is due to a drop in confidence, it happens to alot of footballers.

many of our players looked slower last year, even torres.....thats what happens when your under pressure.

gerrard already looks quicker and sharper than the whole of last year, with the weight off his shoulders a little.

im hoping this is the exact same thing for poulson.

by the way the comment about kieta being shit is stupid, he is still at barca, if anybody was over rated there it was yaya toure....he looks too big and slow for the prem.

I'm not talking about playing them both, I am talking about them strictly being defensive midfielders!

Gerrard, Aquilani, and Shelvey as it stands, or Defour if he could be added, should always play!

Sorry, but Paulson and Lucas sitting, with Gerrard, Maxi, Cole, Torres and Jovonovic is more than enough creativity to be the majority of sides, and that is without taking into account adding a wide player, who, I think is far more important than a creative midfielder.

Fletcher works because of what is in front of him, same goes for Tracy Chapman at Chelsea, and Song at Arsenal.

our biggest problem last year was that our midfielders couldnt get the ball to the forward palyers, quick enough or with any degreee of creativity. i havent seen poulson play but i saw lucas against that shit team in the uefa cup and he struggled to do just that. why are we thinking of making the same mistake again? if gerrard doesnt drop back we will have same problems. roy knows this.

De Rossi is a great player on his day....its like you two never have watched football in your life.

One thing I will say about two holding midfielders is this, Rafa got fucking murdered on these forums for using two holding midfielders in most of his games. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. But alot of people on here blamed Lucas for that whilst others were after Rafas blood.

Have we done a complete U turn now to say its okay to have 2 holding midfielders??

tell me in what games, big games de rossi has been a great player? what has he won? personal titles i mean? player of the season etc?....he is just another player who will score a 25 yarder every now and again and play a sublime pass once every 3 month and idiots liek ytou spunk over him becuase the papers tell you so.

against good players he ALWAYS looks average....proove me wrong.

Whelan, if he is looking to play Poulsen and Gerrard in midfield with Lucas as backup then I will not be complaining; however it will still be a significant downgrade on Mascherano and Gerrard. In your comment which I replied to though, you seemed to be saying Poulsen and Lucas would be fine playing together. I would certainly disagree with that point, which perhaps I misunderstood in your post.

zig seriously now, your scaring me, your starting to post some good stuff mate.

I'd be staggered if Lucas and Poulsen are played in tandem for a significant amount of games.

me too, its gerrard + poulson + whoever he buys with masch money. lucas as back up for cup games and injuries.

In the last game again Robotnicki the only time Hodgson when ballistic was im pretty certain when Lucas held onto the ball too long and when he finally released the ball to Johnson the full back was offside.

The camera went to Hodgson who was moaning to Sammy Lee that he should have passed it a lot sooner.

Poulsen is a defensive midfielder and i doubt will venture too far forward therefore allowing Gerrard to play alongside him and not have to worry about covering his midfield partner breaking forward.

it was joe cole he was supposed to pass it to, and good spot mate.

even funnier was when aqualani tried to spread a ball out wide, over hit it straight into the stand and camera cut to hodgson and he muttered "what the fuck was that"

he knows what is needed for a top flight club i think.

Not particularly bothered either way to be honest. Don't think he'll be the crazy liability that some think he'll be. Don't think he'll be be Masch mk 2 either. But he's pretty solid, has plenty of experience, and it's not like we've overpaid massively for him.

As for not recouping the fee, if we get 3-4 solid seasons out of him, I don't really care about resale value. If we still think of ourselves as a top club, we shouldn't be too worried about that no matter what our financial situation.

so your not bothered about who we sign?

your no bothered about how much we get for players when we sell them, even though we are in financial melt down and every penny counts?

what the fuck are you bothered about exactly as a liverpool fan?

silly bastard.

Ok. We've signed this 30 yr old. After signing J 'close to 30' Cole.

Cole played well in the Europa home match for sure; no denying he'll be a real asset for this season, and maybe next. Short term only.

Now we get this guy. 2 yrs if he's lucky-and THAT doesn't include injuries, and he'll be more injury prone at his age.

This is our chance now to build a team for the FUTURE, but I can see already that the new Gaffa is gutless. Maybe his hands are tied on transfers, I dunno, but so far I'm not impressed.

The overwhelming feeling I'm getting here is of a club in limbo, with an average manager who could (together with the Board) fuck the club up even more...if it's actually possible.

We have no real money for transfers yet, so we panic buy in the average elderly market.

The club needs to seriously get a grip and grow some friggin' balls. We have some good younger players that I really hope get a run in a red shirt this sason. What's happened to Spearing? Will Watson disappear into the reserves?

The club is about to be sold, and the new owners may not even WANT Hodgson in the job. Surely he could just twiddle his thumbs for a month or so? Does he have to DO things?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
i exposed you on my thread.

Sorry, who the fuck are you? EDIT: Oh, I see now. You're that daft git who made people dislike him. How, exactly, did you 'expose' me?

and learn that "mum and dad" disses, went out in the 80's, silly cunt.

Learn about post-irony, you illiterate moron.

Ok. We've signed this 30 yr old. After signing J 'close to 30' Cole.

Cole played well in the Europa home match for sure; no denying he'll be a real asset for this season, and maybe next. Short term only.

Now we get this guy. 2 yrs if he's lucky-and THAT doesn't include injuries, and he'll be more injury prone at his age.

This is our chance now to build a team for the FUTURE, but I can see already that the new Gaffa is gutless. Maybe his hands are tied on transfers, I dunno, but so far I'm not impressed.

The overwhelming feeling I'm getting here is of a club in limbo, with an average manager who could (together with the Board) fuck the club up even more...if it's actually possible.

We have no real money for transfers yet, so we panic buy in the average elderly market.

The club needs to seriously get a grip and grow some friggin' balls. We have some good younger players that I really hope get a run in a red shirt this sason. What's happened to Spearing? Will Watson disappear into the reserves?

The club is in limbo. We finally have a manager who is concerned with the football at the club, not internal politics and who wants to buy players who will perform in the short term rather than start building a team for the (extremely uncertain) future. This season is about steadying the ship after the chaos and disaster we experienced last season and to my best judgement Hodgson is doing a fucking good job at that.

The Poulsen signing is just to be sure we're not stuck with Lucas as a regular once Mascherano pisses off. Hodgson probably noticed what happened last time a manager tried to replace class with Lucas.