You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson in talks to retain stars

lucozade

Exactly.

Pre-yanks as well, to be fair.

I think the current "rot at the top" first set in during the last couple of houllier years when Moores started eyeing an exit and Parry started to believe his own publicity.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe Hodgson couldn't spend a bit longer with Torres.

How long does it take to say:

"Hi, I'm Roy. I think you're ace and I'm looking forward to working with you and the other players that are currently under contract with Liverpool Football Club. I have my own ideas about what went wrong last season and I have a plan for getting us back on track - We don't have much to spend, but I'm looking to offload the deadwood and use that money to bring in a few fresh faces - but hey, I don't want to bore you...we'll talk about this when you've finished your break. In the meantime there's Cecil."

I think the current "rot at the top" first set in during the last couple of houllier years when Moores started eyeing an exit and Parry started to believe his own publicity.

Probably from Moores stepping up even, some of the dogshit we bought in the 90's didn't help what came later.

Strength at the top was needed to say to the manager on various occasions "no, not him, find someone else". You listen to some supporters now and the idea of the club ever saying no to the manager is borderline heresy, yet it happened to Shankly all the time.

Smith and Robinson knew their jobs well but they also went on scouting trips with Paisley and could see for themselves if it was a good player or not.

With modern media saturation, it's become more of a subterfuge which maybe forces managers to make assessments by dvd, always a tricky thing to do.

Take Diouf for example, Moores just said "you know best Gerard" instead of maybe saying "he calls himself what? He's scored how many goals? No way". But of course he didn't, which for a 10m player was quite the gamble. Don't even get me started on Aquilani.

For all the outrage about who does Parry/Purslow think he is, the 'hierarchy' must have some input on transfers. Over the last 20 years we've signed so much shit on only the manager's say-so, and even without the yanks crookedness we'd have ended up in trouble eventually.

Probably from Moores stepping up even, some of the dogshit we bought in the 90's didn't help what came later.

Strength at the top was needed to say to the manager on various occasions "no, not him, find someone else". You listen to some supporters now and the idea of the club ever saying no to the manager is borderline heresy, yet it happened to Shankly all the time.

Smith and Robinson knew their jobs well but they also went on scouting trips with Paisley and could see for themselves if it was a good player or not.

With modern media saturation, it's become more of a subterfuge which maybe forces managers to make assessments by dvd, always a tricky thing to do.

Take Diouf for example, Moores just said "you know best Gerard" instead of maybe saying "he calls himself what? He's scored how many goals? No way". But of course he didn't, which for a 10m player was quite the gamble. Don't even get me started on Aquilani.

For all the outrage about who does Parry/Purslow think he is, the 'hierarchy' must have some input on transfers. Over the last 20 years we've signed so much shit on only the manager's say-so, and even without the yanks crookedness we'd have ended up in trouble eventually.

Agreed - it's all about balance. The manager should be making most of the football calls but sometimes he might have to be reined in - either funds aren't there or he's about to take an almighty expensive risk. Trouble is this doesn't work when the competence or relationship isn't there. Which is where we've been for the best part of a decade.

What qualifies a man such as Purslow to have such an input?

It's not so much about qualification but common sense, adhering perhaps to a set of beliefs.

Take last summer; someone should have said "he's been injured for how many years? No, look elsewhere" but it was quite plain why no one did.

I'd even include Johnson, since Liverpool had never spent more than 5m on a defender and yet the year before 7m was spent on that fuckwit Dossena, only for the manager to say "I want double that for another defender".

But he might come good I suppose, with a more positive approach from the coach.

Purslow has now been so demonised that even if he did do something right I doubt anyone would admit it. If not him, then whoever ends up running LFC needs to have final say and not the manager.

Rafa had his superflounce over some Italian defender, this after spending 45m on Torres etc, and after that no one above him could challenge him on his choices for fear of the usual hysteria.

Whoever is running the club, that sort of bullshit mustn't return.

If he doesn't have some geniune reason then i think Masch's behavior has been nothing short of disgraceful as well, completely ignoring Roy and showing him a complete lack of respect is just acting like acting like a spoiled brat to get his move. I thought he was great for us last season especially after having his head turned by Barcelona but now he's just using a different tactic to get his transfer and he's being a little fucking weed and we're still paying his wages as well.

Never thought i would think of him in these terms as i've always loved his passion as a player but he's just acting like a complete tit on this one.

It's not so much about qualification but common sense, adhering perhaps to a set of beliefs.

Take last summer; someone should have said "he's been injured for how many years? No, look elsewhere" but it was quite plain why no one did.

I'd even include Johnson, since Liverpool had never spent more than 5m on a defender and yet the year before 7m was spent on that fuckwit Dossena, only for the manager to say "I want double that for another defender".

Purslow has now been so demonised that even if he did do something right I doubt anyone would admit it. If not him, then whoever ends up running LFC needs to have final say and not the manager.

Rafa had his superflounce over some Italian defender, this after spending 45m on Torres etc, and after that no one above him could challenge him on his choices for fear of the usual hysteria.

Really good post this.

I agree that every manager needs someone to help guide in the decision making of signing and selling players.

That someone needs to be the right person with the right experience, from the right background and with the qualifications. Purslow doesn't fit that bill, not by a long shot.

Dalglish?

Possibly. He seems to have been sweetened with an ambassadorial role whilst also dealing with the academy.

Ideally, it would have been Roy and Dalglish both speaking with Torres but instead it was left down to an investment banker to discuss things with the player.

Possibly. He seems to have been sweetened with an ambassadorial role whilst also dealing with the academy.

Ideally, it would have been Roy and Dalglish both speaking with Torres but instead it was left down to an investment banker to discuss things with the player.

Torres did say in an interview, he wanted to find out the real situation of the club, so in that respect, it makes sense he would talk to Purslow, quite what they spoke about I'm not so sure. I'm sure many will have their ideas.

But I'd quite like the idea of Kenny in that managing director role working with Roy. But it shouldn't detract from his good work with the academy.

Right, stupid question time, i honestly tend to not get bogged down in politics because they bore the bollocks off me, but why is Purslow so detested? Why is he so different to the other suits? What's he done? Genuine questions because like i say i tend to stay away from anything other than the major issues; also why did Benitez and Bascombe fall out? That's another one i've never had an answer to. Ta

If he doesn't have some geniune reason then i think Masch's behavior has been nothing short of disgraceful as well, completely ignoring Roy and showing him a complete lack of respect is just acting like acting like a spoiled brat to get his move. I thought he was great for us last season especially after having his head turned by Barcelona but now he's just using a different tactic to get his transfer and he's being a little fucking weed and we're still paying his wages as well.

Never thought i would think of him in these terms as i've always loved his passion as a player but he's just acting like a complete tit on this one.

Agreed, what would happen if Liverpool said to masch's agent until the little crying twat answer's his phone or contacts the manager then he's not getting paid end of, if he wants to leave then HE needs to tell the manager that in person he's got until xx july to do this or he is staying next season simple as that, now run along and tell that to the whining twat....oh!and dont forget he isnt getting paid until he does this.

he's a good player but i'm getting pissed off with him whoring himself out every transfer window, just act like a man masch answer your phone tell us your going then run along to whoever your gonna play for,for the next 3 years when you get fed up and decide your wife can't speak whatever language and you need to move on again

I agree that every manager needs someone to help guide in the decision making of signing and selling players.

That someone needs to be the right person with the right experience, from the right background and with the qualifications. Purslow doesn't fit that bill, not by a long shot.

Did Parry fit the bill in getting Benitez in?

Did City's owner fit the bill in getting Mancini in?

It doesn't go down any differently at any other clubs, board members make decisions.

Agreed, what would happen if Liverpool said to masch's agent until the little crying twat answer's his phone or contacts the manager then he's not getting paid end of, if he wants to leave then HE needs to tell the manager that in person he's got until xx july to do this or he is staying next season simple as that, now run along and tell that to the whining twat....oh!and dont forget he isnt getting paid until he does this.

he's a good player but i'm getting pissed off with him whoring himself out every transfer window, just act like a man masch answer your phone tell us your going then run along to whoever your gonna play for,for the next 3 years when you get fed up and decide your wife can't speak whatever language and you need to move on again

Problem with him as well is he knows he has 2 years left on his contract so we need to sell him now if we're to make big money off him, forcing him to stay would knock millions off his fee next season. But you're right if he has any balls he would pick up his phone but it looks like he's hiding behind his agent.

Right, stupid question time, i honestly tend to not get bogged down in politics because they bore the bollocks off me, but why is Purslow so detested? Why is he so different to the other suits? What's he done? Genuine questions because like i say i tend to stay away from anything other than the major issues; also why did Benitez and Bascombe fall out? That's another one i've never had an answer to. Ta

He's taken on a level of control at the club without the background or qualifications to do so. His past links with Hicks are a concern. The links between MidOcean and RBS are a concern for some. He's tried to discredit the union and has lied about last summers transfer budget. He spoke about only dealing with the 'team roster' when a new manager was installed, when in reality he was already in discussions with other clubs to sell players.

He's taken on a level of control at the club without the background or qualifications to do so. His past links with Hicks are a concern. The links between MidOcean and RBS are a concern for some. He's tried to discredit the union and has lied about last summers transfer budget. He spoke about only dealing with the 'team roster' when a new manager was installed, when in reality he was already in discussions with other clubs to sell players.

Cheers, what about Rafa and Basco?

Erm, i guess i'd say they're both amiable chaps, good at their jobs but at one point or another, lost sight at what they're good at.

They've really far more in common than they think they have, when you think about it.

I don't whether yours was a serious question and didn't mean to sound facetious if it was.

In your drawn-out attempts to justify your dislike of Rafa you have constructed a straw-man argument. Basically you argue that Rafa was a despot who sought and achieved complete control to the point that he no longer thought of himself as an employee.

In fact, he got significant input into the Academy only last year - five years after arriving.

In the last four transfer windows he worked within a severely restricted budget and stated on several occasions last year that he accepted the restrictions because everyone had to work together to balance the books for the good of the club.

He made a profit on transfers in all those windows, thereby contributing to the paying down of the debt.

In those four windows the original budget provided to him by the board was withdrawn or reduced unilaterally by the board, so that Rafa's original plans were thrown out of kilter.

The money you complain he wasted on Aquilani - he earned that money by insisting that Real Madrid pay 30 million up-front for Alonso. He made about 15 million profit on the buying and selling of Alonso. However, he sold Alonso only because Alonso insisted on leaving after negotiating a lucrative transfer in April 2009.

Rafa did not arbitrarily chose new players without input from the club. The club had a staff of full-time and part-time scouts who recommended potential targets. In the case of Aquilani the scouting staff and the medical staff prepared written reports recommending the transfer. Those reports were submitted not only to Rafa but to the board.

Aquilani is a first-class player who could be sold for the same price he was purchased or higher.

When he was with the Liverpool Echo, Bascombe used to have privileged access to LFC and Rafa. It could be argued that he got his lucrative job at the NOTW on the expectation that he could maintain the strong links he had with Rafa. But the club (and Rafa) treated him as just another NOTW hack and they transferred their communications to the new Echo correspondent, TB.

Rafa then made a statement that the NOTW was one of two national newspapers that LFC supporters had learned not to trust. He said this in 2008 in connection with a defamatory article written by Beasley. Rafa sued the NOTW and eventually accepted a substantial payment in settlement and promptly donated it to a social club in Litherland.

Bascombe began to realise that journalism without privileged access to Rafa and LFC was difficult and he was reduced to lifting stories from websites and dealing in gossip from those who, like him, were now disaffected with Rafa. Some of them were associated with this website. Most of his stories about Rafa were unsubstantiated and were written to support his agenda.