You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"First white man to run 100m in under 10 seconds"

OmarVizquel

Well.....ok then.

Lemaitre first white man to run 100m in under 10 seconds | Sports | Reuters

PARIS (Reuters) - France's Christophe Lemaitre became the first white man to run the 100 meters in under 10 seconds when he clocked 9.98 on Friday, the French athletics federation said.

Lemaitre, 20, set his time during the French championships in Valence, southern France.

"He is the first white man to run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds," Jean-Philippe Manzelle, French athletics Federation press officer, told Reuters.

The former French record had been set by Ronald Pognon at 9.98secs in 2005.

Jamaican Usain Bolt is the world record holder with 9.58secs.

American Jim Hines became the first man to run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds in 1968.

We're better swimmers though, so it all evens out in the end. Suppose we're owed a few hundred years of oppression to call it even.

you're from the west midlands so i doubt you or your ilk are better at anything.

except of course purveyors of the worst accent in the world and world champions at sounding like 'dozey cunts'

goodnight

Guest The Chimp

Given that many anthropologists dismiss "race" as a term (not that I am one as Numero Neuve can attest) there's some real issues with the whole nature v nurture debate in sports. With male sprinters the figures make for some very interesting reading which have led to some academics contending that it isn't so much race as genetics that are important here:

Sprinters with West-African ancestry (and solely from here and not any other part of Africa*) hold the top 220 times and 494 of the top 500 times recorded.

* I was at a conference once and it was postulated that it was actually more defined than this, and that the sprinter's ancestry could be traced to an actual area/village in Western-Africa. Can't remember where that was exactly, however. It was a long time ago.

Also/perhaps interesting to note is the fact that athletes with this West-African ancestry have never made any real inroads at all in distance events.

Edited by The Chimp
Broadband keeps cutting out on me

Given that many anthropologists dismiss "race" as a term (not that I am one as Numero Neuve can attest) there's some real issues with the whole nature v nurture debate in sports. With male sprinters the figures make for some very interesting reading which have led to some academics contending that it isn't so much race as genetics that are important here:

Sprinters with West-African ancestry (and solely from here and not any other part of Africa*) hold the top 220 times and 494 of the top 500 times recorded.

* I was at a conference once and it was postulated that it was actually more defined than this, and that the sprinter's ancestry could be traced to an actual area/village in Western-Africa. Can't remember where that was exactly, however. It was a long time ago.

Also/perhaps interesting to note is the fact that athletes with this West-African ancestry have never made any real inroads at all in distance events.

I remember reading something years ago in The Observer about how Arsene Wenger buys into the same view. The article also discussed how the issue of genetics gets clouded by accusations of racism, but Wenger simply insisted that players of West African origin tend to be faster and stronger than players from elsewhere. Therefore, when that is allied to great coaching that instills technique and intelligence, you end up with superior footballers.

Guest The Chimp
I remember reading something years ago in The Observer about how Arsene Wenger buys into the same view. The article also discussed how the issue of genetics gets clouded by accusations of racism, but Wenger simply insisted that players of West African origin tend to be faster and stronger than players from elsewhere. Therefore, when that is allied to great coaching that instills technique and intelligence, you end up with superior footballers.

It's such a contentious issue Paul for the following reason given by Harry Edwards (UCal. Berkeley): "What really is being said in a kind of underhand way is that blacks are closer to beasts and animals in terms of their genetic and physical and anatomical make-up than they are to the rest of humanity. . .that's where the indignity comes in."

There was a book out years ago that first touched on this by Jon Hoberman* (sp) (Texas) called 'Darwin's Athletes' that also went into the socio-cultural role of sport with regards specifically to African-Americans. It's an interesting read but not without some major criticisms.

* He was who was at the conference and whom I spoke to at length about the subject (although it's not my area of concentration specifically).

It's such a contentious issue Paul for the following reason given by Harry Edwards (UCal. Berkeley): "What really is being said in a kind of underhand way is that blacks are closer to beasts and animals in terms of their genetic and physical and anatomical make-up than they are to the rest of humanity. . .that's where the indignity comes in."

There was a book out years ago that first touched on this by Jon Hoberman* (sp) (Texas) called 'Darwin's Athletes' that also went into the socio-cultural role of sport with regards specifically to African-Americans. It's an interesting read but not without some major criticisms.

* He was who was at the conference and whom I spoke to at length about the subject (although it's not my area of concentration specifically).

I've never understood that interpretation though: the fact that someone is physically superior doesn't automatically correlate with intellectual inferiority, which would be the defining feature of a racist argument, surely?

It's a fascinating subject and one that I'd have thought was ripe for a purely scientific approach that sought to sideline the emotive aspects of the issue and focus on empirical evidence. Basketball is similarly dominated by African American players (although anyone of ridiculous height will always have a chance). However, baseball, which requires different attributes appears less so. Interesting stuff.

Well.....ok then.

Lemaitre first white man to run 100m in under 10 seconds | Sports | Reuters

PARIS (Reuters) - France's Christophe Lemaitre became the first white man to run the 100 meters in under 10 seconds when he clocked 9.98 on Friday, the French athletics federation said.

Lemaitre, 20, set his time during the French championships in Valence, southern France.

"He is the first white man to run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds," Jean-Philippe Manzelle, French athletics Federation press officer, told Reuters.

The former French record had been set by Ronald Pognon at 9.98secs in 2005.

Jamaican Usain Bolt is the world record holder with 9.58secs.

American Jim Hines became the first man to run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds in 1968.

Read that and WEEP, Jesse Owens!

Guest The Chimp
I've never understood that interpretation though: the fact that someone is physically superior doesn't automatically correlate with intellectual inferiority, which would be the defining feature of a racist argument, surely?

It's a fascinating subject and one that I'd have thought was ripe for a purely scientific approach that sought to sideline the emotive aspects of the issue and focus on empirical evidence. Basketball is similarly dominated by African American players (although anyone of ridiculous height will always have a chance). However, baseball, which requires different attributes appears less so. Interesting stuff.

I guess the point being that if it's OK to believe that a particular group are predisposed to be faster or more athletic then this makes it more difficult to be critical of "evidence" that might suggest a group maybe predisposed to be more criminally inclined, less intelligent etc.

As with basketball I'd be looking more at culture there. Are the British shite at basketball because of any particular genetic defects or is it more likely to be that our role models tend to be football players and we have more access to play this than basketball. Do white American kids aspire to be basketball players in the same numbers as their black counterparts. Baseball, also has culturally a significant Latino influence in the US. Social-mobility is the watch-word here (even if it's largely insignificant and of more harm than good).

Aren't people of African origin generally blessed with a higher number of fast twitch muscle fibres which would aid in acceleration, jumping etc?

There are some who believe there is a difference in bone density and shape of feet where swimming is concerned (I don't think there have been serious studies but correct me if I'm wrong), but i'd imagine white dominated sports are, as a general rule, the result of the amount of expensive training it requires to become for instance a

swimmer.

It is a fascinating subject and one which people seem reluctant to discuss because of the readiness of other's to scream racism.