You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina vs Casillas

Who's the better goalkeeper?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better goalkeeper?

• Jose Reina
    • Iker Casillas
    • Massimo Taibi

Have been having this argument with my brother near enough every time Spain play. Try and limit the bias, who do you think is the better all round Goalkeeper.

I genuinely believe Reina is the better all round keeper, Casillas is the better shot stopper, however I believe Reina's distribution is superior, he's better at 1 on 1 situations, penalties, I think Casillas is dreadful at collecting corners and deliveries and finally I believe Pepe's less error prone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casillas has had a bit of dodgy tournament but there is no denying he is the best keeper in the world. Probably the only keeper better then pepe.

Really? I've thought he's looked pretty average to poor at times this season. He's error prone no doubt as well,

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBYN8HkrkY&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBYN8HkrkY&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Fast forward to 0:43

Casillas has had a bit of dodgy tournament but there is no denying he is the best keeper in the world. Probably the only keeper better then pepe.
I dunno mate i think he is number one because he plays for Real Madrid, he is a class keeper but IMO Pepe is superior, not bad options for Spain though,some panel they have when u can have Torres/Reina/Cesc on the bench, who would probably get into most teams in the world.

For me, Reina is the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment and I can't see anybody rising to challenge him for a good while.

Let's erase this myth that Casillas isn't very good because he is a top, top keeper. I have seen him keep Real Madrid in so many games it's untrue. Fabulous shot stopper, and not afraid to come and get the ball. Commanding of the box is what makes keepers like Reina and Casillas as good as they are - any goalkeeper should be a good shotstopper, but if you can't deal with crosses (see Given, Shay) then you're neither use nor ornament.

What sets Reina aside from the rest at the moment for me is consistency. He is consistently excellent, week in and week out. I can count on one hand the number of mistakes he has made over the last 2 seasons. He has been, continues to be and will continue to be phenomenal, week in and week out. He is also excellent with his distribution, both with feet and hands. So is Casillas but I am fairly willing to bet Reina has set up more goals over the last 2 years than Casillas has in his career.

Casillas on the other hand is very prone to making clangers. I don't know if it's a concentration issue or what have you, but he makes serious mistakes from time to time, as has already been highlighted.

They're two seriously top, top goalkeepers, who I'll always remember as being amongst the best in the business during my lifetime, but for me Reina is clearly the better of the two at the moment, and the best in the world. But Casillas is captain - that's one of the many reasons he starts.

Guest PurpleNose
If Pepe played for Real and Cassilas played for us then Pepe would be Spain's #1.

If Manuel Almunia played for Real he'd be Spain's number one.

For me, Reina is the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment and I can't see anybody rising to challenge him for a good while.

Let's erase this myth that Casillas isn't very good because he is a top, top keeper. I have seen him keep Real Madrid in so many games it's untrue. Fabulous shot stopper, and not afraid to come and get the ball. Commanding of the box is what makes keepers like Reina and Casillas as good as they are - any goalkeeper should be a good shotstopper, but if you can't deal with crosses (see Given, Shay) then you're neither use nor ornament.

What sets Reina aside from the rest at the moment for me is consistency. He is consistently excellent, week in and week out. I can count on one hand the number of mistakes he has made over the last 2 seasons. He has been, continues to be and will continue to be phenomenal, week in and week out. He is also excellent with his distribution, both with feet and hands. So is Casillas but I am fairly willing to bet Reina has set up more goals over the last 2 years than Casillas has in his career.

Casillas on the other hand is very prone to making clangers. I don't know if it's a concentration issue or what have you, but he makes serious mistakes from time to time, as has already been highlighted.

They're two seriously top, top goalkeepers, who I'll always remember as being amongst the best in the business during my lifetime, but for me Reina is clearly the better of the two at the moment, and the best in the world. But Casillas is captain - that's one of the many reasons he starts.

All of this.

I'd also add Reina's reading of the game to his list of attributes, along with his speed for a goalie.

Pepe is the ultimate sweeper-keeper, the amount of times he anticipates situations is unreal, seems to go unnoticed a lot. He stops so many moves from ending up with him 1on1 against an attacker by having superb starting positions, reading the pass and snuffing out the danger.

Easily the best in the world.