You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Really Gary?

The Chief

Gary Gillespie just now on the LFC channel: (with a straight face) "....I thought maybe play Degen at right back and put Mascherano in midfield, but who do you leave out then, Lucas or Gerrard?"!!! Really Gary, REALLY? Stupidest question of the season goes to Gary Gillespie! Of course Gerrard would be left out for Lucas, Gary, of course!! That last bit was a joke before some freak thinks I was serious!

Steven Gerrard? The captain like?

The Steven Gerrard who's played 529 games for Liverpool? The Steven Gerrard who's scored 132 goals for Liverpool? The Steven Gerrard who's Liverpool's all time European goalscorer? The captain of the club? The one who inspired and led the team to its 5th European crown? The guy who's - year after year, almost single-handedly won games all on his own? The player many regard as the 2nd best footballer of all time for this club?That Steven Gerrard?

Maybe he's been a bit off his best at times this year - but don't you think he's earned the right to be forgiven the odd blip in form?

you lot would put Gerrard in even if he lost a leg, he's been fucking terrible this season and has been directly responsible for a lot our poor performances, the biggest criticism I have of Rafa is that he keeps picking him.

Dont be daft.

Gerrard at his worst is better than Lucas at his best.

you lot would put Gerrard in even if he lost a leg, he's been fucking terrible this season and has been directly responsible for a lot our poor performances, the biggest criticism I have of Rafa is that he keeps picking him.

Yeah mate, you're spot on, I WOULD play Gerrard with one leg, cos even with one leg he's twice the player some of the cunts who play for us are.

Some people have very short memories, he's played some good games as well as some bad games, I wouldn't blame Gerrard solely for any single loss this season.

We are the only side in the top half of the league who'd pick Lucas. It was a stupid question. A very fucking stupid one at that and those who say any different are among the most ridiculous people around. Lucas over Gerrard? Fuck off

Code right again. Well, may be a slight exaggeration, but the point he's making stands.

So explain Lucas being 2nd in player of the season runnings, if Gerrard just has to set foot on the pitch to be better than Lucas then surely he would be above Lucas?

Doesn't it say to you that for Lucas to be above him then Gerrard must have been absolute dogshit?

Guest TesticleOReilly
So explain Lucas being 2nd in player of the season runnings, if Gerrard just has to set foot on the pitch to be better than Lucas then surely he would be above Lucas?

Doesn't it say to you that for Lucas to be above him then Gerrard must have been absolute dogshit?

No, all you'll get now is people saying how shite this season has to have been for Lucas to be one of our best players. Even tho' they voted for him. Which they'll say they didn't. But they did. 'cause he's 2nd!

Honestly people slating gerrard........ hes not been at his best this season. And loads on here slate him, say he should be dropped. What about the prick of a coach we have??

Hes been shocking for the best part of 3-4 years yet yous champion him?

The greatest player ever to wear the shirt, my hero, Steven Gerrard, and some on here saying Lucas Leiva(who is nothing short of fucking CAK) has been better. Our club is fucked - some who follow us are as stupid as i dont know what.

Honestly people slating gerrard........ hes not been at his best this season. And loads on here slate him, say he should be dropped. What about the prick of a coach we have??

Hes been shocking for the best part of 3-4 years yet yous champion him?

The greatest player ever to wear the shirt, my hero, Steven Gerrard, and some on here saying Lucas Leiva(who is nothing short of fucking CAK) has been better. Our club is fucked - some who follow us are as stupid as i dont know what.

Calm down, darling: you're hysterical. I could take issue with your "greatest player ever to wear the shirt", but he is definitely up there with the best.

But by the logic that Red Banjo applies, because he's the captain, has played 529 games and scored 132 goals for Liverpool etc etc, his position in midfield is permanent and assured.

I don't think it should be. A player's position should be based on merit, not past success.

I am not saying that if I were manager I would put Lucas' name on the teamsheet before Gerrard's, but as I stated earlier, it is not a question outside of the realms of reason. Which is why Gillespie asked it. It seems reasonable to me.

Now if you want unreasonable, have a look at this cracker for a definition of understatement, "Maybe he's been a bit off his best at times this year"

No rose-tinted glasses there, then.

Gerrard is an all-time great for this club. He has been awful this season in both his play and his attitude, and hence his influence on those around him.

Lucas is not an all-time great, and almost certainly never will be. He has had his best season by far, is young and keen, and always gives 100% on the pitch.

You can argue that a disgruntled, negative, not-trying Gerrard is better than a committed and willing Lucas. But it is NOT a foregone conclusion in my opinion. And nor in Gary Gillespie's, which is why he asked the question.

Sorry to break the bad news on your "hero" young Richie, but he's been awful this season if truth be told.

But don't throw out your Gerrard quilt cover just yet, he's good enough to make a rapid return to brilliance, which is what I and all Liverpool supporters want.

So "Really, Gary?". Yes, really.

Dont be daft.

Gerrard at his worst is better than Lucas at his best.

Yeah, true. But that's not saying very much.

There's fucking loads of midfield players who are miles better than Lucas in the Premiership. Most clubs have at least one. Quite a few have more than one. I've done a list before, and it was fucking depressingly long.

Lucas has improved this season, true. He's now just a bit shit. But I'm not blaming a slightly shit player for how this season has panned out; there are myriad reasons. But the fact that a slightly shit player played so many games is certainly one major one.

But they love him on RAWK!

Quod erat demonstratum

Guest PurpleNose
At least Lucas has generally looked like he gives a fuck.

Quite.

The most annoying thing about seeing Gerrard be so monumentally fucking shite this season is knowing he can play so much better.

No, all you'll get now is people saying how shite this season has to have been for Lucas to be one of our best players. Even tho' they voted for him. Which they'll say they didn't. But they did. 'cause he's 2nd!

Do you find it difficult to do up your shoelaces whilst chewing your toast in the morning?