You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

Really?

I think you should go back and check those that have started most games for the past few title winning sides. You'll find some names in there that don't fit that. Not that am saying Lucas does though.

I assume you mean past few teams that have won the PL in this country?

If so, they should never be the benchmark for LFC. We should, and Kenny does,have higher aspirations and standards than them.

Generally, Man U team in recent years has had players like Fletcher, who even though not very gifted, is a more physical, aggressive player than Lucas and has got more bite to his game. Fletcher has also been an important part of their team and regarded as key to their CL runs in recent years by Ferguson. Lucas hasn't done anything that comes remotely close to what Fletcher has achieved, even though he has more finesse than Fletcher.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it would takes a special type of mong to fail to realise or admit that he's been among the top three players for us this season. Easily. Even Gerrard realises this and has started passing him the ball. Something Carra needs to take heed of.

Give him a new contract.

Until very recently we've been fucking awful so the top 3 players of the season wouldn't be hard to make and doesn't mean he's ultimately good enough

Think it would takes a special type of mong to fail to realise or admit that he's been among the top three players for us this season. Easily. Even Gerrard realises this and has started passing him the ball. Something Carra needs to take heed of.

Give him a new contract.

Agree! But is this in comparison with a team full of quality players, performing at a high level consistently and are Liverpool class? Lets say Lucas is in the team next season as a DM, with the likes of Gerrard, Kelly, Meireles (scoring goals regularly), Carroll, Suarez, Hazard (hopefully), top LB, top CD; would he be near the top three players that season in comparison to that sort of quality?

Give him a new contract.

Unfortunatly there are a few on these boards.

He's actually one of out best passers in the team. Yeah i know alot of his passes consist of short range passes but he does find players in space and most importantly knows when to keep it simple and when to try a more ambitious pass. Some players always go for the Hollywood pass and fans seems to remember the 2 out of the 5 times when the player pulls it off rather than the other 3 times they lost possession.

Of the current squad I think Reina, Agger, Gerrard and Meireles are clearly ahead of Lucas if terms of who I'd keep to build a team capable of winning the league.

I've left Carrol and Suarez out cause they've proved nothing at this club yet. And Kelly because it's still too early to tell.

The rest of the players would have to go before Lucas.

Agree! But is this in comparison with a team full of quality players, performing at a high level consistently and are Liverpool class? Lets say Lucas is in the team next season as a DM, with the likes of Gerrard, Kelly, Meireles (scoring goals regularly), Carroll, Suarez, Hazard (hopefully), top LB, top CD; would he be near the top three players that season in comparison to that sort of quality?

That makes almost no sense whatsoever. He's playing well, been playing well and has now been the best midfielder on the pitch in two games against Chelsea this season. On merit, and not this fanciful notion of who we might sign, or how good Kelly or Carroll might be, he's shown himself to be good enough for Liverpool.

Maybe when we sign all these wonderful player you are talking about, and we've a squad full of genuine world class players, and Lucas is clearly the one letting us down, maybe then you'd have a point........until then, shut up.

That makes almost no sense whatsoever. He's playing well, been playing well and has now been the best midfielder on the pitch in two games against Chelsea this season. On merit, and not this fanciful notion of who we might sign, or how good Kelly or Carroll might be, he's shown himself to be good enough for Liverpool.

Maybe when we sign all these wonderful player you are talking about, and we've a squad full of genuine world class players, and Lucas is clearly the one letting us down, maybe then you'd have a point........until then, shut up.

lol a'men.

If we're talking about the short term, i.e challenging for 5th, 4th place then yeh lucas is good enough but i think thats his level. we are liverpool however and will eventually be looking to challenge for the league, which i dont think lucas is good enough to be a part of

If we're talking about the short term, i.e challenging for 5th, 4th place then yeh lucas is good enough but i think thats his level. we are liverpool however and will eventually be looking to challenge for the league, which i dont think lucas is good enough to be a part of

i'd have to disagree. only one other person has been as consistent as lucas in the last 12 months. That's Reina. Yes there was a time where I wanted Lucas out of the squad, I probably boo'ed the hell out of him, but he has grown by leaps and bounds. Yes he is not the balls to wall tackler that Masch was, and no he doesn't have the complete depth of passing Xabi had, but he is mixing a little bit of both to becoming a complete player not only for now, but for the future.

Lovely. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it then yeah? Nice one.

Oh and Michael Carrick.

The real question is will he be able to improve again by enough to play the Dalglish way in a title-winning team?

Benitez set him a tough task asking him to change his natural game and he made it, eventually. The next challenge is for him to be able to adapt to Dalglish's brand of pass and move which IMO is a bit of a misnomer because it's not the pass and move of tika-taka or the patient possession football he is playing with Brazil, it's really pass and penetrate. You could say it's more Gerrard than Alonso.

At times passes will need to be made with urgency, without fear, with pristine purpose and free of equivocation. This is not his game yet. Can he bridge that gap?

The real question is will he be able to improve again by enough to play the Dalglish way in a title-winning team?

Benitez set him a tough task asking him to change his natural game and he made it, eventually. The next challenge is for him to be able to adapt to Dalglish's brand of pass and move which IMO is a bit of a misnomer because it's not the pass and move of tika-taka or the patient possession football he is playing with Brazil, it's really pass and penetrate. You could say it's more Gerrard than Alonso.

At times passes will need to be made with urgency, without fear, with pristine purpose and free of equivocation. This is not his game yet. Can he bridge that gap?

Now were talking.

It's true though, sometimes I see a little hesitancy in his passing, and the balls can be a bit underhit. Not to the extent that he loses possession, but opportunities for penetrating passes can slip by. Perhaps switching to DM has forced him to think more before acting.